SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   On My Way # 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/416922-my-way-6-a.html)

Gonnachange 02-25-2018 08:49 AM

Another weekend of solid workouts. Yay! I'll be back at it tomorrow with a run planned for Tuesday.

Meatballs with homemade sauce, spaghetti, and a salad is the current dinner concept. In other food news, the beef jerky I made a couple of days ago is history. The end yield was about a pound and we ate a few ounces of it. The rest? It's now residing inside dear dog's belly; she helped herself to the bag on the counter last night. Amazingly, she's feeling fine.

SoberLeigh 02-25-2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6800261)
Another weekend of solid workouts. Yay! I'll be back at it tomorrow with a run planned for Tuesday.

Meatballs with homemade sauce, spaghetti, and a salad is the current dinner concept. In other food news, the beef jerky I made a couple of days ago is history. The end yield was about a pound and we ate a few ounces of it. The rest? It's now residing inside dear dog's belly; she helped herself to the bag on the counter last night. Amazingly, she's feeling fine.

OH dear!!!!!!!:lmao

Gonnachange 02-26-2018 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6800275)
OH dear!!!!!!!:lmao

I told the story to a friend and he told me that his cousin's dog know how to open the refrigerator door and help himself to the contents so they have to bungee cord the door. Fortunately we haven't reached that point. :lol:

Today

My string of solid workouts came to an end this morning. There was no apparent reason why, but the whole thing was a struggle. Fortunately, I can write that I finished.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked cod filets with a side of rice/mushroom pilaf.

SoberLeigh 02-26-2018 02:57 PM

That is one determined dog!

Thank goodness for bungee chords!

Gonnachange 02-27-2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6801835)
That is one determined dog!

Thank goodness for bungee chords!

Indeed with respect to both statements!

Today

I walked just shy of two miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast. In a short while I'll go for a two mile run.

Dinner tonight is going to be leg of lamb and a salad.

Gonnachange 02-28-2018 05:47 AM

The usual early morning Wednesday workout has been over for almost two hours. Four rounds of seven stations:

Db squat presses
Up downs
Db two point rows
Agility ladder hop scotch
Jump squats with an elevated platform
Pushups with ankles in TRX stirrups
One other exercise that eludes me at the moment.

A very pleasant surprise this AM was that one of the people who used to regularly attend our classes but has not been around for months due to having a mini stroke (his term and I'm not sure what it means, but I was with him when it happened) showed up. The man is super friendly and a beast, but it was obvious that the past couple of months took a toll on him. Another reminder to take nothing for granted.

No plans yet for dinner.

Gonnachange 02-28-2018 09:52 AM

Dinner is going to be spicy orange chicken, a grain, and a salad.

Gonnachange 03-01-2018 08:15 AM

Four circuits of:

Kb swings
Db goblet alternating reverse lunges
Pushups
Burpees
Db 2 point rows
Mountain climbers
Elephant walkouts
Turkish sit ups

Tonight I'm going to cook a meatloaf on my Big Green Egg and also serve rice and either sautéed or creamed spinach. I need some flexibility because dear daughter's BF is coming this afternoon and they're not sure of their dinner plans. Why make it easy for the old man?

SoberLeigh 03-01-2018 04:50 PM

How long have you had your Big Green Egg?

Gonnachange 03-02-2018 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6805892)
How long have you had your Big Green Egg?

I bought it in the summer of 2010. I can probably answer most questions you have about it, some competitors, accessories, or cooking ideas if you're interested.

Today

Friday is normally my one day of rest and that will likely hold true. We're getting some snow at the moment, but I doubt I'll have to shovel because the temperatures are supposed to reach the mid 40'sF.

I'm supposed to go out tonight so no cooking for me.

My daughter and her BF are flying to the Pacific NW tomorrow AM and I'm the chauffer for getting to the airport; fortunately their flight is early enough that I can drop them off and still make to the gym for my regularly scheduled Saturday morning class.

SoberLeigh 03-03-2018 07:35 PM

Thanks, GC. A couple of my friends have just purchased one and are having some issues.

I will find out exactly what their issues are and let you know.

Gonnachange 03-05-2018 10:13 AM

SL, if I can help, I will.

No posts for a couple of days, but all is well. To I'm sure nobody's surprise I was at the gym Saturday, Sunday, and this morning and had solid workouts each time.

I haven't cooked since Thursday; Friday I went out with a friend, Saturday I went out with my wife and son, and yesterday we went to a party. That's all going to change tonight. I'm going to sous vide pork chops and serve them with roasted Brussels sprouts.

The reason we didn't eat at home on Saturday was because we went to play pool at a place that serves food. I'm not sure what the biggest surprise of the evening was, that the fare was actually quite good or that I won 2 of the 3 games. It's not exactly up there with the USA's men's hockey team Miracle on Ice in 1980, but it was certainly a surprise to the 3 of us.

SoberLeigh 03-05-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6810326)
SL, if I can help, I will.

No posts for a couple of days, but all is well. To I'm sure nobody's surprise I was at the gym Saturday, Sunday, and this morning and had solid workouts each time.

I haven't cooked since Thursday; Friday I went out with a friend, Saturday I went out with my wife and son, and yesterday we went to a party. That's all going to change tonight. I'm going to sous vide pork chops and serve them with roasted Brussels sprouts.

The reason we didn't eat at home on Saturday was because we went to play pool at a place that serves food. I'm not sure what the biggest surprise of the evening was, that the fare was actually quite good or that I won 2 of the 3 games. It's not exactly up there with the USA's men's hockey team Miracle on Ice in 1980, but it was certainly a surprise to the 3 of us.

Sounds like a very nice time, GC!

Gonnachange 03-06-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6810714)
Sounds like a very nice time, GC!

Thanks SL; all 3 outings were fun, but it was also nice to be home last night.

Today

I ran 1.7 miles this morning. No Garmin so no pace data. Based on the most recent forecasts I will not be going to my usual Wednesday AM gym session. Starting tonight we're supposed to get between 8 and 12 inches of snow which means I'll have plenty of functional exercise tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled chicken leg quarters and roasted asparagus. Presently I'm not sure how I'm going to season and/or marinate the chicken.

Gonnachange 03-07-2018 05:58 AM

The snow must have started later than forecasted because there was only an inch on the ground when I woke up at 4:30 so I went to the gym as I normally would. Four circuits of:

Kb one arm swings
Db two point rows
Pushups
Jump squats on a riser
Up downs

That was followed by three circuits of:

Prowler pushes
Speed skating sprints
Ball pushes
Bear crawls
Lateral sprints

Dinner tonight is going to be pot roast using a bottom round I bought on sale yesterday that will be served over egg noodles I'm going to make later today.

Gonnachange 03-08-2018 11:23 AM

We wound up getting 14 inches of heavy snow. I spent about 2 hours dealing with it yesterday and another 2 hours this morning. The tree damage around town is huge; I have some issues that will necessitate me calling professionals, but fortunately I don't have any damage.

After my fun with the snow this morning I then spent over 2 hours in a dentist's chair having a crown put in as well another minor procedure. Shoveling and the dentist, all in one morning. I believe that's called living on the wild side. :lol:

I wound up not making pasta last night and served tri color couscous instead. Tonight I'll be making shrimp. Not sure how just yet or what the side(s) will be.

Gonnachange 03-09-2018 07:43 AM

Per my usual routine, today is a dedicated rest day; you can be sure I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM and I also plan on running afterward.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon cooked on my Big Green Egg with sides of a salad and mashed cauliflower.

For the first time in a long time we have no social plans this weekend and between the running around and entertaining of late and what's to come in the weeks ahead I'm looking forward to the quietness. Hanging out at home, maybe with a fire, and then reading seems like a good plan for tonight.

My daughter and her BF are flying home tomorrow and I'll be picking them up in the late afternoon. I envision us staying at home and having them regale us with stories of their trip.

Gonnachange 03-10-2018 10:23 AM

I had a very good workout this morning and afterward went on a short run.

Dinner tonight is going to involve chicken thighs and roasted cauliflower.

SoberLeigh 03-10-2018 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6817255)
I had a very good workout this morning and afterward went on a short run.

Dinner tonight is going to involve chicken thighs and roasted cauliflower.

My bet is that it was tasty, GC!

SoberLeigh 03-10-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6815626)
Per my usual routine, today is a dedicated rest day; you can be sure I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM and I also plan on running afterward.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon cooked on my Big Green Egg with sides of a salad and mashed cauliflower.

For the first time in a long time we have no social plans this weekend and between the running around and entertaining of late and what's to come in the weeks ahead I'm looking forward to the quietness. Hanging out at home, maybe with a fire, and then reading seems like a good plan for tonight.

My daughter and her BF are flying home tomorrow and I'll be picking them up in the late afternoon. I envision us staying at home and having them regale us with stories of their trip.

Did they have a great time, GC?