SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of September 2016 Part 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/398962-class-september-2016-part-4-a.html)

bikube 12-05-2016 08:15 AM

Hey all, day 77 for me. This time 11 weeks ago was when I relapsed - the first night of an evening photography class I was taking, and I thought I needed alcohol to get through it. Now I'm on my way to the final class and I've been sober the whole way through!

I got news today that I have a job interview on Wednesday which has sent me into a bit of a spin. I've been unemployed since the summer and only began looking for work again last week, so I didn't expect to be called for an interview so soon. Trying to not worry about it. I know that stressful situations and potential life changes are a HUGE trigger for me so I'll probably be posting here frequently to remind myself of my accountability - if that makes sense?!

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. SSOH - I relate so much to alcohol taking up so much of your time, not just the time spent drinking but all the secret-keeping and stress that went with it! Glad to be free of that for the moment. x

Barbs 12-05-2016 01:42 PM

I'm glad everyone is doing well at the moment.

I have managed to string together 90 days as of yesterday. I don't seem to have a problem not drinking when I'm out with others who are. After all, I was pretty good at hiding my drinking so not many people know how much I drank (although they have heard stories). It's when I'm home alone that I seem to struggle the most and wouldn't you know it, my husband just took another side job that will keep him working late for the next few weeks. I need to put together a better plan for keeping myself busy after my work day.

HelenofTroy 12-05-2016 02:14 PM

Hi folks.

A late check in for me today - been a busy day. Glad to see so many doing so well.

Have a good one :)

Martin1 12-05-2016 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bikube (Post 6232654)
Hey all, day 77 for me. This time 11 weeks ago was when I relapsed - the first night of an evening photography class I was taking, and I thought I needed alcohol to get through it. Now I'm on my way to the final class and I've been sober the whole way through!

I got news today that I have a job interview on Wednesday which has sent me into a bit of a spin. I've been unemployed since the summer and only began looking for work again last week, so I didn't expect to be called for an interview so soon. Trying to not worry about it. I know that stressful situations and potential life changes are a HUGE trigger for me so I'll probably be posting here frequently to remind myself of my accountability - if that makes sense?!

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. SSOH - I relate so much to alcohol taking up so much of your time, not just the time spent drinking but all the secret-keeping and stress that went with it! Glad to be free of that for the moment. x

Good luck with the interview. Best of luck. :c011:

Let us know how you get on.

HelenofTroy 12-06-2016 07:11 AM

Good morning folks.

Just checking in. Nothing to report, other than that all is well.

Have a good one. :)

Dee74 12-06-2016 03:37 PM

good luck bikube :)

Hope everyone else is doing well :)

D

HelenofTroy 12-07-2016 04:20 AM

Good morning folks.

Bikube, best of luck on your job interview today :)

Barbs, 90 days - how did I miss that?! Woohoo! I was also a home-alone drinker. People talk about finding a hobby but in my case I have lots of hobbies and was very good at drinking while hobbying (I won't tell you about the time I fell out of my sewing chair lol). But I am finding my new rituals helpful. Rather than wine in the afternoon I'm drinking regular tea (orange pekoe with milk in my case). Then in the evening after dinner when I would also be drinking wine I'm drinking a flavoured decaffeinated tea. By doing this every day I am replacing the habit of drinking wine with something more healthy.

I was picking up a case of cranberry ginger ale the other day (for those in Canada I like the President's Choice ones better than Canada Dry) when I had another realization. I really like these drinks because they have substance to them and I like the flavour. I think of them as my wine substitute. Having said that I only have one or two a week, not every day, and never more than one. So that reinforces for me what a big lie it is that I tell myself when I say I am drinking wine because I like the flavour. If it were truly about the flavour I wouldn't need to drink a skinful - one glass would be enough without wanting more.

In other news I saw a girlfriend (and drinking buddy) yesterday and we were discussing an upcoming annual bus trip that she organizes. Usually a wine tour is part of this excursion and I said I was going to pass on that part because I'm not drinking. She just said ok and kept on with the conversation without missing a beat. Just goes to show that most people don't think nearly as much about whether we are drinking or not as we think. So that's another one out of the way.

Have a good one everyone.

PhoenixJ 12-07-2016 04:56 AM

HelofTr- good stuff about the tour. Took courage, that- it did.

Barbs 12-07-2016 01:00 PM

I sufficiently complained to my husband about his work schedule and he complained right back. Hmmm... nothing I can do about it. So I have decided I will keep myself busy by cleaning out every room and closet/cabinet in the house until our kids come home on the 21st. If I finish before they come home, I will start on the basement.

Bikube, I hope your interview went well today!

Helen, I think if I drink anymore tea I will float away. I will try some seltzer and lime with maybe a splash of pomegranate juice. Hopefully that will feel more like a treat.

SomeSortOfHuman 12-07-2016 01:50 PM

Hi Bikube - Hope the interview was good today? Do you feel like it's somewhere you might enjoy working?

I'm drinking FAR too much tea! Have discovered that I really enjoy Fever Tree tonic water - don't know how widely available that is, but it's good!

Helen - great that the conversation about the wine tour was so straightforward. I think you're right that in most cases, out drinking / not drinking isn't such a big deal to other people.

I've been thinking a lot about the first few weeks without alcohol. It was so, so hard. It's not always easy now, but things are definitely getting better. I really don't want to go back to that place again. I'm a bit worried about Xmas, but trying to keep to "one day at a time" - because even Xmas is just another 24 hours, isn't it?

Martin1 12-07-2016 06:06 PM

PhoenixJ 12-07-2016 07:10 PM

:lmao

Dee74 12-07-2016 07:18 PM

Congratulations Martin :)

D

Dee74 12-07-2016 07:19 PM

Despite the title, there's some good tips here for Xmas :)

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide
D

HelenofTroy 12-08-2016 05:28 AM

Good morning folks.

Thanks PhoenixJ. Something else that stood out for me was that in the moment we were talking we were in a group setting and it is very likely I was overheard by others. For a split second I felt uncomfortable after saying "I'm not drinking" but it passed that quickly. If folks are going to judge that's on them - not my problem.

Barbs that is certainly a challenging situation. Sounds like you are both frustrated. I am glad you have been able to stay strong through this. I hear you and SSOH on "too much" tea. Having said that, I never felt that way when it was wine that I was drinking a lot of - there was no such thing as "too much" lol. Maybe that means we are getting healthier perspectives on things. I'm going to go with that. SSOH I am so pleased that you are hanging in there.

Hahaha Martin - man of few words! LOL Congrats on 50 :D That brings me to 49 then ;)

Thanks for that link Dee. I've read that one before but it's definitely worth a re-read.

I had a bit of an emotional night last night where I was caught in the middle of a family dispute. There were tears and whatnot but I never even considered having a drink, and it did get sorted out in the end, so all is well.

Martin1 12-08-2016 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6235996)
Congratulations Martin :)

D

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6235998)
Despite the title, there's some good tips here for Xmas :)

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide
D

Thanks for the support. And the link. :thanks

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy (Post 6236437)
Good morning folks.

Thanks PhoenixJ. Something else that stood out for me was that in the moment we were talking we were in a group setting and it is very likely I was overheard by others. For a split second I felt uncomfortable after saying "I'm not drinking" but it passed that quickly. If folks are going to judge that's on them - not my problem.

Barbs that is certainly a challenging situation. Sounds like you are both frustrated. I am glad you have been able to stay strong through this. I hear you and SSOH on "too much" tea. Having said that, I never felt that way when it was wine that I was drinking a lot of - there was no such thing as "too much" lol. Maybe that means we are getting healthier perspectives on things. I'm going to go with that. SSOH I am so pleased that you are hanging in there.

Hahaha Martin - man of few words! LOL Congrats on 50 :D That brings me to 49 then ;)

Thanks for that link Dee. I've read that one before but it's definitely worth a re-read.

I had a bit of an emotional night last night where I was caught in the middle of a family dispute. There were tears and whatnot but I never even considered having a drink, and it did get sorted out in the end, so all is well.

Thanks Helen.

I had a similar situation with my family. No tears but it was stressful. In the past few days I have started to think about drinking again. There will be a time in the near future where I will be faced with a difficult situation and I am not sure how I will get through it without alcohol (it's not Christmas).

The right thing to do is to deal with it when it arrives I think.

I will post more later but that's been on my mind lately.

PhoenixJ 12-08-2016 10:59 PM

Hi CO Septemberites. All good?

Barbs 12-09-2016 03:55 AM

Congratulations on 50 days Martin! I hope you find strength and clarity of mind when you are faced with that difficult situation. Praying it goes well for you.

Helen families can be so stressful. Glad it all worked out well and without a thought about a drink, awesome!

I was honest with my son and told him that I stopped drinking because it had become a problem for me. To my surprise, he told me that he was proud of me for recognizing it and having the courage to do something. I'm very blessed to have such a sweet son!

Thanks for the link Dee. It's good to have a plan.

I have the day off today so I am off to continue my deep house cleaning/purging. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

HelenofTroy 12-09-2016 06:16 AM

Good morning folks.

Hey Martin. I am really wishing you the strength and determination to get through your situation. I have been reading so many accounts on here lately of folk who have thought they could drink after various periods of abstinence (in some cases years) and to a one they have all regretted it. I highly recommend you take some time to read through some of them. You may remember ReadyAtLast who used to post in our class. I also found a lot of good opinions in this thread started by secretchord. I know from my own experience the last time I drank 50 days ago I scared myself by how quickly I was gulping it down out of control. I now know there is no going back.

Hi PhoenixJ :wavey:

Barbs that is great your son is being supportive, although I am not surprised. I know when I told my daughter I was half expecting to be told off for my drinking but of course she has been nothing but completely supportive and loving. In my case I thought I had been hiding it but in reality they have known us all their lives (and I have drank all her life) and they are not stupid. And doesn't it feel good to get the home organized?! One day I will know that feeling! lol

My newly sober brain had been dredging up some really old memories that had been long gone up until now. Some good but mostly not so much. Like me walking down the aisle 33 years ago trembling so badly, not in wedding jitters as people thought (I hope!) but in being so hungover that I missed my hair appointment. That popped up into my head out of nowhere yesterday. Yes, I am definitely doing the right thing here - I am long overdue for sobriety.

I am off to the legion today to bake meat pies with my mom and her women's auxiliary. Then up to my husband's for the weekend for a late Thanksgiving dinner with my stepson.

HelenofTroy 12-10-2016 05:32 AM

Good morning folks.

Bad roads last night so I waited until this morning before heading up to Mr. Troy's. Other than that, all is well. Have a good weekend all.