SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Venuscat's thread - An unexpected bump in the road Pt. 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/397141-venuscats-thread-unexpected-bump-road-pt-2-a.html)

wpainterw 09-06-2016 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6124507)
(((Bill))) ♥

Is it the medication I take? Often I want to sleep and yet, if I do, wonder why I wanted to enter again this strange land. Why cannot the dream world make us happy? Like the closing act of Tristan where he awakes and tells Isolde that he has been off in a strange land and then in one of Wagner's greatest moments, asks her whether she too would go there with him, a land of darkness where they will be together. This leads to the Liebestod, something which I really can hardly listen to and keep my composure

venuscat 09-06-2016 05:33 PM

It might sound silly Bill...but I find the nightmares are often food-related. Strange food, or eating too late can lead to very bad dreams. Or worse dreams.

Last night I ate a spinach/cheese thing for dinner. Never again. :)

LillianGish 09-06-2016 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6123598)
Gritting my teeth this afternoon after more family stuff that was upsetting.

But why? I've made my decision.

The answer once again is fear. The (ingrained) belief that I will be punished because I am bad.

Hi V, checking in with you tonight. Now you aren't going to be able to get rid of me...ha!

Strange thing FEAR. Fear kept our ancestors from being eaten by tigers. It told them to either fight or run. My ancestors obviously were chickens because we like to run in my family....but we did live!

Anyhoo.....my point is....and I do have one.....is that fear isn't always a bad thing. It can keep us out of trouble. Or, it can fire us up to take action.....to fight when it's time to fight, or guard against a fight, or....frankly just to beat feet out of a dangerous situation.

Fear isn't the problem. It's the symptom. It's a sign that something isn't right.

The trick, is to get to the bottom of it. Sometimes - it's appropriate to be afraid. Sometimes - we thought monsters were under our bed at night but it was our little brother playing a trick on us.

Sometimes - what we are afraid of is that we are strong and powerful.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? .....

....It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~ Marianne Williamson
You're searching for answers and I am so heartened to see you aren't alone here at SR. So many people here to help you. Feel fairly certain to say that.....it isn't you with the problem.

You are wonderful, so don't let ANYONE let you feel less than beautiful. K?

EternalNow 09-06-2016 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 6124390)
I like your avatar with the ancient tree. I have heard that those trees may be the oldest ones on earth. An icon of survival. Reminds me of Dylan Thomas' " Rage, rage, against the dying of the light." Truly a beautiful poem for his father. Bill.

I was just reading that poem last week, it is very moving. From the sounds of it Dylan suffered with alcohol as we, (I) do. Kindred spirits

Bristle Cone Pine Tree, purported to be over 6000 years old, the oldest living thing on Earth.

wpainterw 09-06-2016 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6123598)
Gritting my teeth this afternoon after more family stuff that was upsetting.

But why? I've made my decision.

The answer once again is fear. The (ingrained) belief that I will be punished because I am bad. The black sheep once again, the pariah. All of the 'friends' discussing what a terrible person I am....not my friends. My sisters' friends.

I was thinking about something Dee said:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...ODgyMw%3D%3D.2

Now is the time when I would traditionally sabotage myself. Decide that this is too scary, too hard. Start listening to the thoughts that tell me I have no idea what I'm doing....my sister's voice in my head denigrating me.

I am calling myself out on this...and reminding myself that I CHOOSE to live in faith rather than fear.

Suze: It is early morning now and I have been thinking about you and your family and what some have said about you. I too have suffered these things. And I suspect so many of us have as well. This is all I can say:
Shame! Guilt! I’ve known them all. And I’ve come to realize that I have no control over what others think of me. Do they know me? Really know? Who has been the “me” they knew when I was drinking? Was it not largely my AV, that primitive part of my brain which cried out for alcohol because my body had become adapted to it? Or was it what remained of the real “me” which for years had been numbed into submission? And when sobriety finally came, did they realize that something may have returned, may have come back? The “real” me, lost for so many years? Would they have believed that if someone had suggested it? “No,” they would have said, “The leopard never changes its spots”. Many many years ago the wife of my father’s best friend called me “feckless”. She was right. Fortunately by that time my father had died. I loved him and he would have been saddened to hear that. My mother called me a failure before she died. She had been brought up to believe that alcoholism, being a “drunk”, was just another sin. A drunk got what he or she “deserved”.
I must learn now, learn not to care what others think, but to care for them, particularly for those who suffer how I suffered. And help them win back the greatest treasure of all, their true selves, in the hardest fight of all, the terrible, unrelenting struggle within.
Suze, you say you have chosen to live in faith rather than in fear. Go out into the night with the light of that faith and as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow may you lose your fear. It does not matter what "others" think. You are on your way! All the best to you and others like you!

Bill.

venuscat 09-06-2016 11:02 PM

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? .....

....It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~ Marianne Williamson
Thank you darling Lillian....I needed to hear this today. :hug: ♥

venuscat 09-06-2016 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 6124751)
Suze, you say you have chosen to live in faith rather than in fear. Go out into the night with the light of that faith and as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow may you lose your fear. It does not matter what "others" think. You are on your way! All the best to you and others like you!

Bill.

Thank you dearest Bill. So much love. :hug: ♥

wpainterw 09-07-2016 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by EternalNow (Post 6124732)
I was just reading that poem last week, it is very moving. From the sounds of it Dylan suffered with alcohol as we, (I) do. Kindred spirits

Bristle Cone Pine Tree, purported to be over 6000 years old, the oldest living thing on Earth.

A year or so after I heard him give a magnificent reading of several of his greatest poems, including this one, Dylan Thomas left his lodging at the Chelsea Hotel in Greenwich Village, New York City, after spending the day drinking in bed, went to the nearby White Horse Tavern, overdosed himself with Scotch Whiskey and died shortly thereafter. Another famous writer who succumbed to drink was the English poet, Malcolm Lowry, whose masterpiece was the novel, "Under the Volcano". Some of Thomas' poems seem obscure to me but I am particularly fond of "Fern Hill" and "A Child's Christmas in Wales". Lowry excels at depicting the loneliness and desperation of an alcoholic, retired British consul at a seaside Mexican village.

Bill.

venuscat 09-07-2016 05:17 AM

OK....cooking with gas now...I just booked a fantastic hotel in New York.... :)

I am going to be there by myself for the first night, and I was wondering if any of my lovely SR friends live there. It would be amazing to be able to call someone that night.

Time to wind down, love and goodnight. ♥

wpainterw 09-07-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6125005)
OK....cooking with gas now...I just booked a fantastic hotel in New York.... :)

I am going to be there by myself for the first night, and I was wondering if any of my lovely SR friends live there. It would be amazing to be able to call someone that night.

Time to wind down, love and goodnight. ♥

If I flew all the way to New York from Melbourne I'd probably have to go straight to the ER, rather than checking in to a hotel.. But then you're sixty years younger than I. It is 60 years isn't it? If it's a Trump hotel be extra careful. I wonder if there's still the Helmsley Hotel where the "Queen of Mean" lived with her dog, "Trouble", who got left $10 million on her owner's death. The next of kin complained and the poor puppy ended up with only $1 million! How can a New York hound live on that kind of money? Maybe she had a diamond collar from Cartier's or Harry Winston that she could pawn. Or marry a Donald Trump dog....:a043:
By the way, to prepare for the New York visit watch "The Out of Towners" (1970) with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis

Bill

venuscat 09-07-2016 03:09 PM

No Bill, I really wish I was that young....not so much. ;)

I LOVE that movie. :) Also Barefoot In The Park....that's the reason I wanted to go to New York in the first place. Oh, and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Good morning lovely SRs ~ it's a beautiful day to celebrate life and sobriety. ♥

venuscat 09-08-2016 12:16 AM

Berry, I'm finally listening to AA Speaker Jennifer H....thank you....she is wonderful. ♥

wpainterw 09-08-2016 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6125679)
No Bill, I really wish I was that young....not so much. ;)

I LOVE that movie. :) Also Barefoot In The Park....that's the reason I wanted to go to New York in the first place. Oh, and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Good morning lovely SRs ~ it's a beautiful day to celebrate life and sobriety. ♥

Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey Hepburn with her "gamin" boyish haircut Tiny waist. Playing a guitar and singing "Moon River." The old New York I knew back in the 1950's. Where you could actually afford one night at the Plaza in a room overlooking the Park as we did on our wedding night. In the morning we left for two weeks in New Hampshire and a short journey to Quebec, doing France on the cheap!
Although Crocodile Dundee could stay at the Plaza since he got his expenses paid it's largely condominiums for billionaires I would suppose. Any place overlooking the Park is big bucks.:dee But there are a few things left. The Staten Island Ferry, which we used to ride back and forth for ten cents (both ways if you didn't get off), the Circle Line Cruise around all of Manhattan Island- two or three hours. The Central Park Zoo (is it still there?) The Metropolitan Museum, the Natural History Museum ("Bully! Bully!" as Teddy Roosevelt would say), the Planetarium, and the view from nearly anywhere, even the good old Empire State Building, where King Kong was attacked by airplanes, and on the Upper West Side, the Cloisters, a transplanted medieval monastery with beautiful art, sculpture, etc.
New York now drives me crazy since it's so neurotic but I have so many wonderful memories of the place!

Bill.

Duffster 09-08-2016 08:09 AM

(((Suze))) Look how loved you are! I've been going through my own fear filled experience right now (divorce) and haven't been around much so am just seeing what you're going through. I want to thank you for sharing this because it's helping me face the fear to move forward and get to where I want to be.

Stay strong you're doing so great! xoxo

wpainterw 09-08-2016 08:12 AM

Suze: Here is one of my favorite hymns, written by Sibelius, the Finnish composer and sung by our choir when I was in prep school. It is eloquent in speaking of hope, forgiveness, salvation. I am not a Catholic but this Catholic choir in the Midwest sings it beautifully!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfnaTuGpHI

Bill

venuscat 09-08-2016 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Duffster (Post 6126537)
(((Suze))) Look how loved you are! I've been going through my own fear filled experience right now (divorce) and haven't been around much so am just seeing what you're going through. I want to thank you for sharing this because it's helping me face the fear to move forward and get to where I want to be.

Stay strong you're doing so great! xoxo

Oh love ~ I am so sorry to hear this. And it's been way too long since we've caught up...sending you so much love. :hug: ♥

venuscat 09-08-2016 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 6126539)
Suze: Here is one of my favorite hymns, written by Sibelius, the Finnish composer and sung by our choir when I was in prep school. It is eloquent in speaking of hope, forgiveness, salvation. I am not a Catholic but this Catholic choir in the Midwest sings it beautifully!

Bill

Thank you Bill ~ it's beautiful. ♥

Kris47 09-08-2016 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by wpainterw (Post 6126539)

Bill

Gorgeous.

I love Sibelius' Amazing Grace, too.

feeling-good 09-09-2016 02:06 PM

(((Suze))) :D

Kris47 09-09-2016 02:11 PM

Hope your days are lighter filled Suze! Fun thinking of your trip now!