SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/385947-class-february-2016-support-thread-part-6-a.html)

Freedom1982 03-02-2016 07:39 AM

Day 16 quiting smoking and drinking. Feeling great and the cravings has subsided. Will have to carch up in all the posts sometime just very busy at work and i am trying to get normal family life going again.

Well done to everyone for sticking it out. I need to make some plans for the weekend to keep me properly busy.

Keep up the good work!!!

GardenGal 03-02-2016 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mel12 (Post 5827573)
Hi PHRD, I am betting your intelligence will crush your drinking problem like a sledgehammer hitting an ant.

That would be wonderful, but addiction is a VERY strong force, one that can't easily be rationed with or talked out of, unfortunately. It's taken me a while to figure this out, that's why I'm now getting help. I thought I had enough willpower and intellect to do this fight on my own (I think my husband did too), but I was wrong.

knb, my son is 11. I've been pretty open about it with him, because he is now very aware of when I'm drinking. He used to think I was having a sugar low [type 1 diabetic], but even that I can't hide, because now he checks my CGM [constant glucose monitor] constantly.

PHRD, I'm really sorry to hear that about your daughter. This scares me more than anything! My son has cried, saying he will never touch alcohol, but we all know how that goes. He is 'different' [Aspie], and I think those teens have more tendency to drink to fit in. :(

PHRD 03-02-2016 07:48 AM

Did you see GardenGal where my 12 year old tried alcohol and was feeling sick at school? I just dumped out all the booze and guess what I did which was a huge gigantic step for me? I told my husband that I'm done drinking and that it just keeps causing problems for me! I had kind of said it a couple days ago casually but this time I said it very concretely. DONE

PHRD 03-02-2016 07:49 AM

Oh you did sorry. My oldest has Aspergers. He's 21 and in college now. All grown up and doing amazing!

360startstoday 03-02-2016 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by PHRD (Post 5827787)
Did you see GardenGal where my 12 year old tried alcohol and was feeling sick at school? I just dumped out all the booze and guess what I did which was a huge gigantic step for me? I told my husband that I'm done drinking and that it just keeps causing problems for me! I had kind of said it a couple days ago casually but this time I said it very concretely. DONE

My 12 year old son tried pot. I could've choked him, then I found out his friends MOTHER was buying it for them and actually taught them to smoke. He was doing this while ditching school.... Talk about an eye opener for mom.

JL2014 03-02-2016 08:01 AM

My wife often says she doesn't want our 2 boys at home, to grow up with alcohol in the house.
She's right, I think.

GardenGal 03-02-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by PHRD (Post 5827791)
Oh you did sorry. My oldest has Aspergers. He's 21 and in college now. All grown up and doing amazing!

That's good news. My son is a straight A student [3 A+s!], pretty nerdy, but every year he makes more friends. I vet them out pretty well. ;)

Silicon Valley is loaded with Aspie's -- there are plenty of opportunities for them there. :) I'm quite sure Steve Jobs was, and wasn't his old logo "Think Different"? mm hmm.

JL, your wife makes a good point. I think it's ok for kids to see the occasional glass here and there, but not bottles being downed.

360, what are you going to do regarding this friend? And the mother?? I'd have strong words for her...

360startstoday 03-02-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JL2014 (Post 5827822)
My wife often says she doesn't want our 2 boys at home, to grow up with alcohol in the house.
She's right, I think.

I think she's right too, we have both quit and removed it from the house. The change is amazing and it's barely coming up on a month now... It's really important to me to have them grow up right and in a good environment.

PHRD 03-02-2016 08:12 AM

My other older son, step son who is now 21 put use through a nightmare with his alcohol and drug use in high school. And yep, one time he took alcohol from our house and one time he had a big party we allowed and supervised really well but figured out they were putting vodka in water bottles.

I don't think I'm strong enough to raise one more teen while dealing with my own issues. None of them have been easy and this last one is the worst. So great in so many ways. But has been a challenge since she was very little. I've had to homeschool her for several years because she couldn't go to school without my being asked to come get her because she was having issues...

Badger07 03-02-2016 08:22 AM

Good morning. Day 28 and allergy season is here. Dee thanks for the reminder. I know. I know. It can be hard though.

JL2014 03-02-2016 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 360startstoday (Post 5827820)
My 12 year old son tried pot. I could've choked him, then I found out his friends MOTHER was buying it for them and actually taught them to smoke. He was doing this while ditching school.... Talk about an eye opener for mom.

My 17 yr old lives with his mom, but does ok. Not great, but ok.
My little ones at home are 2 1/2 and 7. I'm 44 now so gonna be like early fifties when they get "teen" aged. I'm hoping for a whitewater paddler like I used to do so I'll have a paddling buddy. I'll settle for fishing and camping, but I'm already a sore sleeper. It may be pull behind camper time by then. :/ "roughing it", may be beyond me by then.

JL2014 03-02-2016 09:07 AM

From what I've seen in the kids generation, camping is just a way to get out of the house and get Into trouble, to be honest. Boyscouting is not what it was when I was a rough and tumble kid, and I don't think my "old ways" would be acceptable. Too much survivorman type stuff, for the politically correct parents club.

JL2014 03-02-2016 09:08 AM

Off topic- sorry

GardenGal 03-02-2016 09:09 AM

JL, I'm 50. I VERY much wanted more kids, and that was the plan, but hubby said NO when this one was born with sever colic. That was the start of our [and my] downward spin…

OK, I'm off to admit to my GP about alcoholism. She will be stunned, but hopefully not judgmental. I like her a lot. Serenity Now!!

360startstoday 03-02-2016 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by JL2014 (Post 5827920)
My 17 yr old lives with his mom, but does ok. Not great, but ok.
My little ones at home are 2 1/2 and 7. I'm 44 now so gonna be like early fifties when they get "teen" aged. I'm hoping for a whitewater paddler like I used to do so I'll have a paddling buddy. I'll settle for fishing and camping, but I'm already a sore sleeper. It may be pull behind camper time by then. :/ "roughing it", may be beyond me by then.

My two littles are very close to yours. Almost 3 and 6 1/2. Ours are little fishing/hunting buddies already! I love it.

JL2014 03-02-2016 09:13 AM

Do it GG.
Your GP has a job to do. He/her will understand you're in a battle to recover. Mine did.
I never thought I'd have kids - or get married after the first one burned me.
I remarried yrs later and my wife is 12 yrs y

Outonthetiles 03-02-2016 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 360startstoday (Post 5827550)
Good morning everyone! Day 24 and I have a question.

I think too much, always have, a big reason I drank. Over the last few days, but really showed its head last night... EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind. Things I haven't thought about in years. Have any of you done this? The guilty, embarrassed feeling is even there and I don't talk to or see the people I used to hang out with. It's so weird!

Yes

JL2014 03-02-2016 09:28 AM

Yes

amazingjoy 03-02-2016 09:30 AM

Good luck GardenGal! My GP was very kind and understanding (and helpful too!).

I hope you have a good experience with your GP and find it helpful! Keep us posted!

CuteNGayYay 03-02-2016 10:51 AM

Hello everyone ! Day 11 . Start therapy today with a new psychologist. I'm always so nervous when meeting with someone new. I've only talked to him over the phone and he was recommended so hope it's good. I hope everyone has a great sober day. :)

opalblue 03-02-2016 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by GardenGal (Post 5827927)
JL, I'm 50. I VERY much wanted more kids, and that was the plan, but hubby said NO when this one was born with sever colic. That was the start of our [and my] downward spin…

OK, I'm off to admit to my GP about alcoholism. She will be stunned, but hopefully not judgmental. I like her a lot. Serenity Now!!

Let us know how she reacts. When I told my GP he tried to convince me that it wasn't that bad. I told him I drank every day. He said I probably just needed to drink on weekends. Lol. What a joke. I literally had to tell him that I was an alcohol. It took about ten mins for me yo eventually persuade him that I had a problem . I

opalblue 03-02-2016 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay (Post 5828063)
Hello everyone ! Day 11 . Start therapy today with a new psychologist. I'm always so nervous when meeting with someone new. I've only talked to him over the phone and he was recommended so hope it's good. I hope everyone has a great sober day. :)

I am the same. Not good with new. Let us know how it went. Well done on your double digits. Only 9 days away from being 20 :-)

opalblue 03-02-2016 11:23 AM

Ahh. Bliss. My AV is so quiet today. Not a stir. After suffering for three days it has disappeared for now.

OldTomato 03-02-2016 11:24 AM

Hey guys, having a bit of a struggle tonight. I got a letter through saying that my assisted detox can start tomorrow if I still want it. I was supposed to wait for that before I quit as it was risky for me to do it alone. I was added to the list over a month ago and put on a drinking limit - I tried to stick to the limit for a while but kept overdrinking and underdrinking which caused my withdrawal symptoms to get even worse. It felt like I was dying! I knew I couldn't stick with a limit, with me and alcohol it's either all or nothing. I chose nothing and sat through the withdrawal myself.

The problem is, my AV is telling me that I should get completely blackout drunk tonight seeing as I'll be getting treatment tomorrow. It's an awful thing to think but I am really finding it difficult not to!

amyrose 03-02-2016 11:32 AM

OldTomato - please tell your AV to go jump in a lake! You won't enjoy being blackout drunk, you won't feel good. There is no upside to that plan!! And then instead of going to the detox with the physical part of withdrawal behind you, you will go back to "It felt like I was dying!" as you stated.

Just my 2 cents on day 16.

opalblue 03-02-2016 11:33 AM

Who was the poster who downloaded the app? I downloaded it today and I can't post on it?! What a waste of money.

Outonthetiles 03-02-2016 11:34 AM

OT, tell your AV to get stuffed.

Auggie 03-02-2016 11:36 AM

OldTomato - You know you don't want to do that again. Go back through and read your own posts. Besides, it's March now and you're a Febbie...like it or not you are one of us. I've grown quite fond of you and would like for you to stay close.

opalblue 03-02-2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldTomato (Post 5828096)
Hey guys, having a bit of a struggle tonight. I got a letter through saying that my assisted detox can start tomorrow if I still want it. I was supposed to wait for that before I quit as it was risky for me to do it alone. I was added to the list over a month ago and put on a drinking limit - I tried to stick to the limit for a while but kept overdrinking and underdrinking which caused my withdrawal symptoms to get even worse. It felt like I was dying! I knew I couldn't stick with a limit, with me and alcohol it's either all or nothing. I chose nothing and sat through the withdrawal myself.

The problem is, my AV is telling me that I should get completely blackout drunk tonight seeing as I'll be getting treatment tomorrow. It's an awful thing to think but I am really finding it difficult not to!

So am I understanding that tomorrow you will be drinking tomorrow on a limit? But why OT? You have done so well not drinking at all?

JL2014 03-02-2016 11:43 AM

OT.
I'm glad y