SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/385947-class-february-2016-support-thread-part-6-a.html)

Lolipa 03-02-2016 04:07 AM

The dawn of day 5!

Optimist4ever57 03-02-2016 04:16 AM

Today begins Day 4! Still feeling under the weather but better than yesterday. I can handle most symptoms except nausea...and that seems to have left last night when I started craving...don't get grossed out...cottage cheese and salsa with chips. I had to give up dairy as it was causing problems so what do I crave? Dairy.

I'm overjoyed to report that I've had no alcohol cravings...but I didn't have a craving whenI just picked up that bottle of vodka, either. Habit?

Still working on my "plan"...I see it as a work in progress...so during the dull moments at work, I will put time into that!

Optimist4ever57 03-02-2016 04:23 AM

I was wondering if there is any corrolation between quitting drinking and lowered immunity to infections? Anyone else experience this? Is there any info on this? I searched yesterday but came up with nothing.

Dee74 03-02-2016 04:40 AM

I answered a post on this yesterday. It's pretty common.

I think alcohol masks a lot of things - most notably when we're run down - I didn't eat well if at all as an active drinker, got no exercise, passed out instead of sleep, ingested a lot of empty calories but little nutrition..

Remove the alcohol and we crash.

Your immune system will recover tho :)

D

Outonthetiles 03-02-2016 05:19 AM

Difficulty sleeping again.
Day 29.

Auggie 03-02-2016 05:21 AM

Good morning, all! Just checking in with the rest of my Feb peeps. I hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Outonthetiles 03-02-2016 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5827436)
I answered a post on this yesterday. It's pretty common.

I think alcohol masks a lot of things - most notably when we're run down - I didn't eat well if at all as an active drinker, got no exercise, passed out instead of sleep, ingested a lot of empty calories but little nutrition..

Remove the alcohol and we crash.

Your immune system will recover tho :)

D

It's true in my case. I've been sick to one degree or another for almost the entire month. The good news is that I'm doing better, and being sober....there's just nothing like it. Even with a cold, I feel great.

Mel12 03-02-2016 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by knb02 (Post 5827266)
I cannot tell you how happy I am to be sober this morning.

Good to hear you say this, KNB! I hope the liver tests go well for you. Thank you for all the postings.

PHRD 03-02-2016 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by knb02 (Post 5826274)
Yeah this craving was a bad one. I will be interested in seeing how most of you with over a month get on with things. I didn't expect to reverse.

My AV was definitely telling me that drinking for a day wasn't gonna harm me because I have done so well. But I know what I am like and I know how my AV tricks me. It's been telling me the same carol for years

Yup! That's what happens and if you give in to it you regret it but it becomes so strong after 20 days for me. I think I may have it this time though. I haven't been drinking during the week for a few weeks now and now I've quit so only the weekends will be tougher. My plan is to come on here and sound stupid and call myself out when this happens... DAY 3 here! And I said sound stupid not be stupid. A big part of my drinking regret is that I'm pretty smart and it's the one completely stupid thing I do. I'm all about healthy eating, no GMOs, etc and then drinking toxins.... Have a great day everyone! :grouphug:

360startstoday 03-02-2016 05:38 AM

Good morning everyone! Day 24 and I have a question.

I think too much, always have, a big reason I drank. Over the last few days, but really showed its head last night... EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind. Things I haven't thought about in years. Have any of you done this? The guilty, embarrassed feeling is even there and I don't talk to or see the people I used to hang out with. It's so weird!

360startstoday 03-02-2016 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles (Post 5827523)
Day 29.

Have you tried melatonin? I also have a tea "sleepy time" it seems to relax me and help.

360startstoday 03-02-2016 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by knb02 (Post 5827256)
Oldtomato I ate a bucket of ice-cream last night. But no regrets this morning. So grateful to be sober this morning

Told you you wouldn't regret the ice cream. Ha. I'm SO SO SO happy and proud for you!

PHRD 03-02-2016 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by 360startstoday (Post 5827550)

I think too much, always have, a big reason I drank. Over the last few days, but really showed its head last night... EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind. Things I haven't thought about in years. Have any of you done this? The guilty, embarrassed feeling is even there and I don't talk to or see the people I used to hang out with. It's so weird!

Tell your head to be quiet! No need to look backwards with regret. You are strong enough to be making changes in your life - many people never try once - so be proud and start dreaming about what you really want to do in the future. I'm starting to try to to come up with mantras to be ready for AV. One already involves foul language but I'm ready. Bring it on AV. No, no I'm not interested in wasting time in my life on a discussion about this topic brain. Quit it.

Mel12 03-02-2016 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles (Post 5826689)
I know alcohol has been a constant in my life since I was 17 or 18, but it never was a serious problem until I was older.

Hi OOTT - did it take a long time for alcohol to go from being a presence to becoming a problem? I started late in life with drinking tiny amounts, but gradually over years it caught up with me. A drinking problem seems progressive, even when the progress is slow rather than fast.

Mel12 03-02-2016 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by PHRD (Post 5827545)
A big part of my drinking regret is that I'm pretty smart and it's the one completely stupid thing I do.

Hi PHRD, I am betting your intelligence will crush your drinking problem like a sledgehammer hitting an ant.

Mel12 03-02-2016 06:02 AM

EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind.

Hi 360 - on the bright side, brain damage from alcohol may not have progressed very far since the unpleasant recollections indicate long-term memory is intact.

The day I cannot remember anything is when I will really start worrying! I certainly have no intention of letting things get to that point.

JL2014 03-02-2016 06:06 AM

Messed up a post . Grrrr

JL2014 03-02-2016 06:08 AM

Good morning Mel, PHRD, auggie, 360, OOTT .
Not sure who's asleep right now. Good day for us today !

PHRD 03-02-2016 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mel12 (Post 5827573)
Hi PHRD, I am betting your intelligence will crush your drinking problem like a sledgehammer hitting an ant.

Not necessarily. See my profile? I've been trying to quit off and on again for 5 years now. PHRD is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day when I first tried in Dec of 2010. Dee was here then too. I do feel different this time and having several weeks under my belt of not drinking during the week and then having the alcohol go straight to my head on the weekend... And an iron deficiency, and rare platelet disorder and my platelets keep depleting below even normal for my always lot platelets. I'm ready let this go. I'm gonna try my hardest this time. No slacking. No slipping.

PennyLane76 03-02-2016 06:51 AM

Hi Everyone. Day 13 here.. GG, I have heard good things about Campral, good on you for being proactive. Cococo we are here for you, and miss you. You can do this. JL, I am so proud of you, and you Knb!

I had a crisis Monday night, a violation of my privacy. :( I'm still processing it, had no thoughts of drinking but then 2nd guessing myself thinking you would drink if you felt well, or you would drink or react at least if you weren't taking meds. But whatever the reason I didn't drink. I'm happier not having such lows/extreme emotions as I did unmedicated so not going to quit those.

Knb , if you find how to log off the app, please let me know. I have to delete the app now and reload to log off.

Thick marine layer here, off to drive in it now. Will check back later. I don't know if I will talk about what happened until I am sure how I feel about it. Guess I am numb at the moment.

Be strong all.

Mel12 03-02-2016 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by PHRD (Post 5827610)
And an iron deficiency, and rare platelet disorder and my platelets keep depleting below even normal for my always lot platelets.

Hi PHRD - is the blood condition caused or exacerbated by alcohol? I hope your 2016 quitting effort succeeds! Wish me luck too . . .

ChrisBen 03-02-2016 07:11 AM

I have 360. But I have 25 years of cringe worthy really? moments. I take a lot of deep breaths, remind myself that the past is the past and this is a new chapter of my life. One that I plan on completing sober. I use a few of them as reminders of why I want to live my life sober now. I also think we make things bigger in our heads, at least I think I do. If I take some of these moments apart I remember that the people I was with were stupid drunk too.

PHRD 03-02-2016 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mel12 (Post 5827656)
Hi PHRD - is the blood condition caused or exacerbated by alcohol? I hope your 2016 quitting effort succeeds! Wish me luck too . . .

Geeze now I get a call from the school that my 12 year old daughter tried alcohol the other day and told a friend. That's fine - great excuse for me to dump all the alcohol in the house! Well I put my husband's wine and two beers in his garage. There done! I had a huge panic attach because I couldn't post and thought I got kicked out. It was because I changed my email and hadn't verified it. Phew! Breathing, breathing, no stress... Yeah well when I went to my new blood doctor a few months ago I had quit at that time for several weeks. I said no I don't drink. She said "Good because I've seen some really bad cases where alcohol reaks (spk?) havoc on platelets" Alcohol kills platelets and new ones need to be made.... I have less to start with. B12 and two irons a pill now though and I have more energy than I've had in years. Sorry to overpost. Okay I'm back to work.

PHRD 03-02-2016 07:22 AM

Add good luck Mel12! I'll be a quiting partner!:thanks

Auggie 03-02-2016 07:23 AM

No such thing as over-posting.

360startstoday 03-02-2016 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by PHRD (Post 5827560)
Tell your head to be quiet! No need to look backwards with regret. You are strong enough to be making changes in your life - many people never try once - so be proud and start dreaming about what you really want to do in the future. I'm starting to try to to come up with mantras to be ready for AV. One already involves foul language but I'm ready. Bring it on AV. No, no I'm not interested in wasting time in my life on a discussion about this topic brain. Quit it.

I keep telling myself that and think of Good things. I'm not sure if it's an AV thing telling me this is why I drank or if it's my mind saying this is why you stopped. I'm sticking with the latter. This is why I stopped, none of those things will ever happen again!

360startstoday 03-02-2016 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mel12 (Post 5827584)
Hi 360 - on the bright side, brain damage from alcohol may not have progressed very far since the unpleasant recollections indicate long-term memory is intact.

The day I cannot remember anything is when I will really start worrying! I certainly have no intention of letting things get to that point.

I like this bright side! I didn't even consider that.

360startstoday 03-02-2016 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisBen (Post 5827679)
I have 360. But I have 25 years of cringe worthy really? moments. I take a lot of deep breaths, remind myself that the past is the past and this is a new chapter of my life. One that I plan on completing sober. I use a few of them as reminders of why I want to live my life sober now. I also think we make things bigger in our heads, at least I think I do. If I take some of these moments apart I remember that the people I was with were stupid drunk too.

I do make things bigger in my head, and I doubt anyone else is sitting there thinking about what we did or I did 15 years ago. And you're right, they were all as messed up as I was.

opalblue 03-02-2016 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles (Post 5827523)
Day 29.

Me too! I was sleeping really well and now I am struggling again

GardenGal 03-02-2016 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 (Post 5827403)
I was wondering if there is any corrolation between quitting drinking and lowered immunity to infections? Anyone else experience this? Is there any info on this? I searched yesterday but came up with nothing.

I have a sore throat and a runny nose this morning, UGH. But hey, I'm not hungover! Slept like a log after taking melatonin for the first time. Your body makes it naturally, so who needs Nytol? Ok, I only ever tried that once [recently] as well. I've never been one to reach for the pill bottle [and never did drugs] -- wish I could have felt the same about the wine bottle!

Have a great day, everyone! March 2, Day 2. :)

p.s. Thanks for the Campral stories -- I hope not to have side effects! Nausea would not be good.