SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of November 2015 Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/380546-class-november-2015-part-6-a.html)

bblackbirdflyy 12-12-2015 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon (Post 5685938)
I once read that whatever you do on Saturday mornings is your true passion. I'm heading out the door now for a nice run now so maybe this is my true passion. It certainly beats sitting on the couch hungover drinking 3-4 coffees to make the pain go away!

Haha. I suppose sleeping is my true passion. Have a nice run.

Keepnitreal 12-12-2015 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by paul37 (Post 5685781)
Same with me, I love being able to just dive in the car anytime and head out somewhere! :D

It is really nice not to have to plan things around what time I am going to start drinking! I can actually meet my family out after basketball practice or pick up one of the kids now! It's liberating.

Dallow-hang in there!

Pam-glad to hear about your dedication to the course you need to finish.

Ultra dad-Your fathers destiny is NOT yours! You've got this!

SoberMarathon-I think being completely sober will really help you qualify for the BM! I have faith in you!

Has anybody heard from Patricia? I didn't see a post.

Today is day 30 something. Things are looking up. I feel great physically, and a lot of the depression is lifting. I do have my battles with "never" again, but I believe in my heart this will change in time. I'm kind of excited about being sober for life. (I know this will come and go, but today I'm high on that thought)

Have a great Sober Saturday.

KIR

bblackbirdflyy 12-12-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ultradad (Post 5685969)

Wow, thank's KiKi...this exact same scenario is what happened to my dad! His liver just shut down after one too many drinks. He was placed on the list for a liver transplant, but never made it. I got a call in the middle of the night that he was rushed to the ER where he was spewing up blood and he died that night alone and a horrible death. Three days later my step mom asked my brother and I to clean out his bedroom and in the closet we found a freshly bought case of beer with 4 beers missing! He just couldn't stop! He was only 51.

His dad died a similar death, it just took longer. I always tell myself that I'll stop before I get to that point, but in reality who know's when that point is...stopping right now, for good, is our best chance of surviving this disease. Ironically, I woke up with huge cravings this morning...something about the cool, fall weather, football, UFC fights and pretty much anything else sometimes that just triggers that AV...

Sometimes I feel like it's my destiny to die a drunk like all the men in my family...how messed up is that???

Have a great one everybody!!!

Scary stuff. That's not your destiny, ultradad. That's a terrible lie coming from AV. Addiction can make us feel so defeated.

I hope you have a great day too

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by enfinthechange (Post 5685743)
Where do u get the time for that!!!

Haha,

Well...we don't have snow yet so I haven't skied yet but I've been trying to do 1 solid hour of exercise each day because it REALLY helps my spirits! (like night and day)!

Each day I either do a kick boxing workout in my basement (we have punching bag, gloves & a CD), hike, bike, rollerblade etc. Sometimes I just power walk/jog.

That 60 minutes of exercise is key for me. Without it I don't think I could stay sober.

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dustmeoff (Post 5685764)
Last drink was three weeks ago today. Still very tired but a small price to pay for the benefits. Two nights ago I drove to a friends house and played pool for a couple hours. One line I never crossed was driving drunk so driving in the evening has not been an option for a very long time, it felt liberating. The little things, right? And thanks Kiki, for reminding us of the big things. Happy weekend to all.

Congrats Dust! You are doing great!

bblackbirdflyy 12-12-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dallow (Post 5686019)

Well guys, my father is a drinker too. My brother isn't, but me - a girl - is. I guess it takes all of us if we let it And maybe this is the only shot we've got. It really doesn't discriminate this thing - we're all in this together. Let's do this! Ultradad, you can do this! This is not your destiny!

Yeah, both of my parents are drinkers. My dad is an alcoholic (sober 2 years) It got really bad at the end, he'd miss weeks of work, I'd have to do welfare checks on him. Hed be passed out, urinated on himself, 30+ empty beer cans, several empty whisky bottles, half a full one. I'd confiscate his keys and booze. Put his whisky in my cupboard (only to drink it myself within a week.) Dog on the loose. Broken glass, lamps, doors. I took him into the hospital several times when he was afraid he might die.

That would be my future if I didn't stop. No way do I want to do that to my kids.

Anyway 28 days.

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Supertired (Post 5685845)
Up at 8 am on a Saturday AGAIN! And sprung out of bed. Feeling about as good as I can even remember feeling. Long may it continue. Still prone to some pretty intense mood swings in the evenings but they too shall pass in time I believe. Amazing. I've found myself mentally repeating the words "I'm a non drinker" like 100 times a day. Kind of like a mantra now. Little behaviours like that are gonna be what makes the difference. That and reading here religiously will reinforce the new reality of my life. Imbracing the positives of this new life and not spending any energy thinking about what I'm "missing out on". A night at the bar is the same night repeated as infinitum. A part of me is really grateful that I got to this point , so that at least I can get on with life and put all that wasted time and those ******** drunk conversations behind me. Actually follow through on some of the thousand drunk plans I formulated but never did anything about. I can put my life into action , instead of being permanently stalled out on a bar stool or the bathroom stall. Surrounded by people who only value my company as a pretext to not drink or do coke alone . Yuck

What a great post! I completely relate & you are doing amazing! :-)

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon (Post 5685938)
I once read that whatever you do on Saturday mornings is your true passion. I'm heading out the door now for a nice run now so maybe this is my true passion. It certainly beats sitting on the couch hungover drinking 3-4 coffees to make the pain go away!

GREAT! My true passion must be sleeping! Lol

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ultradad (Post 5685969)
Wow, thank's KiKi...this exact same scenario is what happened to my dad! His liver just shut down after one too many drinks. He was placed on the list for a liver transplant, but never made it. I got a call in the middle of the night that he was rushed to the ER where he was spewing up blood and he died that night alone and a horrible death. Three days later my step mom asked my brother and I to clean out his bedroom and in the closet we found a freshly bought case of beer with 4 beers missing! He just couldn't stop! He was only 51. His dad died a similar death, it just took longer. I always tell myself that I'll stop before I get to that point, but in reality who know's when that point is...stopping right now, for good, is our best chance of surviving this disease. Ironically, I woke up with huge cravings this morning...something about the cool, fall weather, football, UFC fights and pretty much anything else sometimes that just triggers that AV... Sometimes I feel like it's my destiny to die a drunk like all the men in my family...how messed up is that??? Have a great one everybody!!!

I'm sorry about your father & grandfather. That's so sad. You are not destined to die a drunk like your dad & grandpa! You are destined to break the cycle! You are the chosen one! You must believe that! I absolutely believe it! I am also breaking the cycle in MY family. That's what our deceased family would want us to do. :-)

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal (Post 5686140)
Well aren't you just a beautiful ray of sunshine! (Just teasing). I'm so glad I've given my liver a chance to heal. I've often been worried about turning yellow!!!! That is a real eye opener because none of us know where "our" line is and everybody has a different threshold. Let's all love our livers!!!!

I love my liver too!!! Ha! Did you watch those 3 short 2 minute YouTube videos I posted last night? Totally eye opening!

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by pams (Post 5686143)
I just reread my post about the holidays and my sucky family etc. It sounded pretty depressing. It's really not that bad. Every year I go through a nostalgic/grieving process during the holidays and my post on SR was part of it. My husband and I started our own traditions after my Mom passed away, so I have plenty to look forward to during the holidays. Thank you so much for the hugs and suggestions...it did help get me through my process. I am coming up on 30 days. That's pretty exciting and my brain doesn't really know how to comprehend that. It's kind of hard to believe that I am actually doing this! So it's time to get on top of another issue hanging over my head...this whole school thing. I have 6 weeks to finish a course that has been hanging over my head forever. I sat down, made my plan yesterday and maybe I just need to apply the skills I have been using for the last almost 30 days....just do it. Don't overthink it, just do it. And maybe I can start undoing the self-defeating cycle with my course, the same way I am undoing my self-defeating cycle with drinking? Just put one foot in front of the other and keep going..... I am certainly going to try.

You can do it pams! You are doing sooooo well!!!

KiKi0615 12-12-2015 09:25 AM

Good Morning class! It's Saturday, December 12, 2015! Have a great sober day!

We are STRONGER TOGETHER!!!

*Canguy -34 days
*HealthyGoals - 6 days
*Me (KiKi) -27 days
*Patricia -working her butt off! :-)
*StrangeAngel-working her butt off too!!! :-)
*Pams -27 days
*GoldenSands -28 days
*CurlyGirl -37 days
*KeepNitreal -34 days
*BlackBirdFly -28 days
*Noolan -23 days
*SwimKim - 18 days
*MeShelly -28 days
*Thumbelina -43 days
*WalkTheLine-22 days
*Supertired -17 days
*Max74 -42 days
*DariaM -6 days
*ForeverFuzzy -23 days
*Jemma44 -34 days
*Blondsober -20 days
*Snowvelvet -38 days
*GoldCoastGirl -21 days
*Badger257 -28 days
*Odelle -21 days
*Tufty13 -41 days
*TryinginTexas - 28 days
*Onetimeless -36 days
*Chicklet -5 days
*Dallow - 20 days
*Learntofly -49 days
*Faithfulandfree - 14 days
*Tootsiesdad -34 days
*SoberMarathon -20 days
*Introspectator- 27 days
*RedAndy -28 days
*Rah555 -19 days
*Alphonse -25 days
*amitranjan04 -18 days
*ultradad -6 days
*got2stopnow -20 days
*Fabat50 -35 days
*Enfinthechange -15 days
*SilentCinemaFan -15 days
*VanillaChaiTea -15 days
*Deniselarkin -15 days
*Augusta1893 -15 days
*Determined82 -15 Days
*Mish - 15 days
*Missy7 -15 days
*Paul37 -14 days
*Tatersalad -15 days
*IronPhoenix -? days
*Dustmeoff -22 days

*****REMEMBER*****
All we REALLY have is TODAY...this 24 hours. It's not a race. There is no shame in starting over as long as we NEVER GIVE UP!!! There is no graduation; just a wonderful journey into the happiness and amazing life we all deserve...

P.S. For those of you who had a slip, we love & care about you. We need you here with us. Please stay. You have become family...CYBER FAMILY! <3 xo

enfinthechange 12-12-2015 09:40 AM

In relation to earlier, I think exercise must be great and a spirit lifter....but no room in our house for any equipment, by the time I have got kids to bed it's after 9 and I am just exhausted. .. maybe one day! Work takes every second and every ounce of energy. .. I try to walk every lunchtime. That's it really... must do more....

All kids gone home... all mums telling me to reward myself with wine... jeez... I can't stop thinking g about it now, like they said it was OK! !!! Stop it now AV... go away.

tufty13 12-12-2015 09:42 AM

Thanks for the role call Kiki, wow, 41 days for me. How did that happen?

Things not great here, my youngest daughter's partner passed away last night in his sleep. My daughter is obviously inconsolable; her first love.

He was just 26 years old. If ever there was a reminder of the fragility of life.

I will not be drinking this evening.

patricia68 12-12-2015 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal (Post 5686145)
Has anybody heard from Patricia? I didn't see a post.

Still here, clean and sober :)
My brain is still a little foggy some days, that's when I prefer not to post lol
I'm feeling a little better today, getting ready to go for a walk.
Have a great day!

enfinthechange 12-12-2015 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tufty13 (Post 5686220)

Things not great here, my youngest daughter's partner passed away last night in his sleep. My daughter is obviously inconsolable; her first love.

He was just 26 years old. If ever there was a reminder of the fragility of life.

Oh my ... how incredibly heartbreaking. Poor her and poor you .... what was the reason do they know??? Deepest condolences. .. and keep strong xx

snowvelvet 12-12-2015 11:06 AM

Hi all! Will check in properly later - Strictly has just started. (Dancing with the stars for any other countries where it's called that).

Day 38... A calm and contented SV.

pams 12-12-2015 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal (Post 5686145)
It is really nice not to have to plan things around what time I am going to start drinking! I can actually meet my family out after basketball practice or pick up one of the kids now! It's liberating.

Dunno about you, but I am rather shocked at how much time there actually is in a day!

I could never get anything done over the weekends cause there 'wasn't enough time'....now....it is 1pm and cleaning is done, laundry is on the go, grocery list is done up for tomorrow, coupons sorted, I sent hubby out with a list (that he didn't lose!) to get some stuff to do some holiday baking later on, we are finishing up lunch and now I will set my study timer and work on my course for a couple of hours....then it will be free time to make some goodies....and I will probably still have some time to binge watch something on Netflix.

Truly shocking how much time alcohol took up in my life....wow....

Odelle 12-12-2015 12:36 PM

Oh no Tufty13, that is tragic! My condolences to you and your daughter. Thank God you can be a pillar for her to lean on, she is going to really need you right now.

bblackbirdflyy 12-12-2015 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by tufty13 (Post 5686220)

How terrible. So sorry for the loss. :(