SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of November 2015 Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/380546-class-november-2015-part-6-a.html)

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by TryingInTexas (Post 5687949)
Finished the half marathon! And turned down the free beer at the end. No speed records set - I was something like 6000 out of 8000 - but it was my first one so I'll take that!

You Rock Texas!!! I wish I could run that far!

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by enfinthechange (Post 5687951)
Shop closed... I'm in the bath with a cup of tea and a book. Thanks guys!!!

Great job enfin! You are doing so well!

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CristinaN (Post 5688084)
Hi everyone. I wanted to see if I could join you all in the November class. I got sober again on November 20 and have been doing ok but I think I need some extra accountability. I look forward to reading and getting to know you all. Thanks so much. Day 23 for me. :)

Welcome Cristina! :-)

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dallow (Post 5688163)
Thank you all for your warm respons and your caring thoughts! I really appreciate it :You_Rock_ Enfin, I hope you made it through alright. A slip is not worth it, it just gets you right back down again. I've heard so much of russian roulette and that's really what it is. This time I "only" had a facebook-conversation with a friend that I don't remember how it ended. I had to scroll back to see what we had talked about, what I had confessed and if maybe I made some plans I didn't know about. How much energy should we spend on things like this!?! Funny thing was everything I wrote seemed totally normal and I followed the conversation and responding normally (with spelling mistakes). But I don't remember any of it. How scary is that!?! For those who kind of find themselves "planning" to relapse. I don't really know what to say. I planned it days before it finally happened. But I still think being truthful here might put you in a better position to avoid a relapse. But who am I to talk? All I know is I knew this would happen long before. Maybe I would have listened to someone? Maybe not. All I know is it is better to stay true here. I mean, I didn't want to talk about my relapse at first, but then again - what's the point if we can't be 100 % honest here? Hope you are all doing well, I am thinking much of you.

I'm glad you are jumping right back on the horse Dallow! We care about you! :-)

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Odelle (Post 5688337)
Hi Ultradad, I’m so sorry that your slip ended up with an injury too. As I shared before, I was at 8 months in ’14 when I pretty much did the same thing; I wanted to drink and no one was going to talk me out of it. The difference is, out of shame, I didn’t report back to my class or log back onto SR. My slip lasted 15 months! In January this year, I stumbled trying to leash my dog and nearly broke my ankle. I had a badly sprained foot and ankle, bruised up to mid-calf that took more than 6 months to heal. Even that didn’t pull me out of the trance. It isn’t the 18th beer that got you, it was the 1st; it always is. Stick with us and arm yourself with AA and any other support that will reinforce your commitment. This disease is total insanity; it overrides all common sense and drives us to do the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

You're right! This disease IS total insanity!!! :-( It kills so many people every single day!

Global Burden of alcohol: In 2012, 3.3 million deaths (over 8,000 deaths per day), or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption.

Alcohol contributes to over 200 diseases and injury-related health conditions, most notably alcohol dependence, liver cirrhosis, cancers, and injuries. In 2012, 5.1 percent of the burden of disease and injury worldwide (139 million disability-adjusted life years) was attributable to alcohol consumption.

Globally, alcohol misuse is the fifth leading risk factor for premature death and disability; among people between the ages of 15 and 49, it is the first.

YIKES! Alcohol is scary!!!

SwimKim12 12-13-2015 09:02 PM

Ultradad, welcome back! I'm sorry that you got hurt but I'm glad it wasn't worse. And I agree with Kiki that adding more "tools" to your sobriety kit will help :)

Enfin, I'm glad you made it through the craving! That inspires me :)

I hope everyone else is well! I had a great day. I'm not really sure why I've been in such a great mood lately. I know it won't last, but I'm trying to make it last by working out and eating well. I'm so grateful for it, though. I'm also so grateful for SR (I feel like I say this everyday!), but I truly am. I wouldn't be sober without you guys. Thank you for being here.

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 (Post 5688478)
Ultradad, welcome back! I'm sorry that you got hurt but I'm glad it wasn't worse. And I agree with Kiki that adding more "tools" to your sobriety kit will help :) Enfin, I'm glad you made it through the craving! That inspires me :) I hope everyone else is well! I had a great day. I'm not really sure why I've been in such a great mood lately. I know it won't last, but I'm trying to make it last by working out and eating well. I'm so grateful for it, though. I'm also so grateful for SR (I feel like I say this everyday!), but I truly am. I wouldn't be sober without you guys. Thank you for being here.

Sure it will! If you wake up sober each day with a positive and grateful attitude....there's no reason why you can't feel great forever!!! :-)

KiKi0615 12-13-2015 10:02 PM

I've been using a free iphone App called Recovery Elevator here are my stats so far:

Sobriety: 4 weeks, 6 hours, 25 minutes & 20 seconds

Money saved: $735.00 (drinking in pubs is expensive!!!)

Calories saved: 11,307

Yay! Now THAT'S incentive! :-)

snowvelvet 12-14-2015 12:00 AM

Well done, Enfin! So glad you got through it. You have a very busy week - guess it being end of term means a massive culmination. Hope you manage to enjoy some of the activities you organised.

Trying - That's awesome and who cares what time you did it? The fact you did it is amazing. Natural highs are so much better than anything chemically induced.

Welcome Christina! We're a fab group. Throw yourself in.

UltraDad - I'm so sorry to hear what happened. It totally shows the insanity, doesn't it. You can stop and the minute you pick up you go right back to the worse. I hope you heal ok. I had a few trips to A&E/ER this Summer. I began to joke I should have my own cubicle. How twisted is that.

Kiki - *Hi 5!

It's day 40, peeps! I am loving taking this journey with you all as my online support. I am well, currently drinking copious amounts of tea and getting breakfast in a min. Another meeting this evening. I don't see them as a chore, I love them.

tufty13 12-14-2015 12:46 AM

Hello class, checking in to thank EVERYONE (too many to mention you all by name but I really am grateful to you ALL), for your kind words.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family Jemma.

This morning I am very grateful for my health, my family, the roof over my head and my girlfriend who is an angel in disguise.
Im grateful for SR and for every poster who takes time to share their stories of success and stories of their bumps along the way.

I'm also grateful for my sobriety and I will not be drinking today.

Fabat50 12-14-2015 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 (Post 5688503)
I've been using a free iphone App called Recovery Elevator here are my stats so far:

Sobriety: 4 weeks, 6 hours, 25 minutes & 20 seconds

Money saved: $735.00 (drinking in pubs is expensive!!!)

Calories saved: 11,307

Yay! Now THAT'S incentive! :-)

I too am aware of how much money I am saving. I really notice it on the monthly budget. Not just the booze but also going out to restaurants, neighbours partys (always take extra bottles along in case I drank them out of house and home) etc etc.

I have calculated that by next summer I should have economised at least 4,000 euros. I have told myself I am going to use the money to take the children to a dream Holiday in Disney. That is yet another reason for me to keep going.

And what about you guys? How are you going to enjoy the extra money? Pay off some debts? Save it? Treat yourself? Treat the family?

RedAndy 12-14-2015 01:33 AM

Day 30 - well that turned out to be a good and sober weekend.

Plenty of people still nursing hangovers here today after the works Xmas party. Feel a bit shut off from it all though as I took myself out of the equation and didn't attend, don't really want to hear all about it if I'm honest and what I missed out on / what a great time was had by all and why wasn't I there - feel like I'm losing the connection with a lot of people, those close to me too as the major thing we had in common was the booze & drug fuelled nights out, I'm out of that circle now.

Focusing on yesterday instead which was a lovely day with my wife, the one who really matters.

Of course yesterday would never have happened if I'd been to the party as I would have been rolling in sometime in the afternoon, most likely drunk again without having had any sleep and then straight to bed fit for nothing, instead this morning there is a nice sense of calm & happiness in the house rather than the usual frostiness and sniping / general unease - it certainly makes for a pleasant change.

Also the fact that out of the whole office (130 people) I'm virtually the only one with a clear head.

Dee74 12-14-2015 02:50 AM

Congrats RedAndy :)

D

bblackbirdflyy 12-14-2015 03:13 AM

30 days and so very happy. I've managed to claw my way out of the pit again.

At this point it is imperative to make a conscious decision NOT to drink everyday. This goes for me and all of you.

From experience.... (sometime in the near future) my addiction wont seem so bad. I'll feel on top of the world. I'll be in a situation where people around me are drinking and I will think, "what the heck... I'll just get my feet wet." Then, "Just up to the knees"... feels pretty nice, "chest deep" "in too deep now, may as well go for a swim"... "treading water"... before I know it I'll be drowning again, grasping for a way out....

... Or not. Stay diligent November. Here's to another 30 days sober.

Dee74 12-14-2015 03:21 AM

Congrats BBF - a wonderful milestone for you :)

I got to a point where, when I had those thoughts that I wasn't so bad, I was able to ignore them, because I clearly was that bad.

A little read through old posts can really help too :)

D.

Healthygoals 12-14-2015 03:24 AM

Eh. Still around. Reading but not posting, mostly just trying to get through each day. Everything is just too much lately.

tufty13 12-14-2015 03:35 AM

Great news Andy, I'm really happy for you and your family.

I recently turned down a party invitation to a private house party with DJ's. All my "friends" went. Great music, plenty of MDMA and loads of booze......"these are a few of my favourite things" as Julie Andrews would say.

I'm not just happy that I didn't go, I'm happy that I appear (at long last) to have turned a corner in my thinking. I no longer believe that I'm missing out. It's that belief that has kept me stuck for so long.

I'm somewhat melancholy that I found this new way of being too late to save my own marriage and keep my family together but I'm glad I got there eventually.

So when your AV comes calling, know that it's a lying git and your new path is going to be the best decision you've ever made.....keep it up!

bblackbirdflyy 12-14-2015 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Healthygoals (Post 5688688)
Eh. Still around. Reading but not posting, mostly just trying to get through each day. Everything is just too much lately.

Everything ok?

bblackbirdflyy 12-14-2015 03:45 AM

As always, thank you for the support Dee. After all of these years, I think I am finally "there".

Congrats on 30 days andy!

bblackbirdflyy 12-14-2015 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by snowvelvet (Post 5688584)
Well done, Enfin! So glad you got through it. You have a very busy week - guess it being end of term means a massive culmination. Hope you manage to enjoy some of the activities you organised.

Trying - That's awesome and who cares what time you did it? The fact you did it is amazing. Natural highs are so much better than anything chemically induced.

Welcome Christina! We're a fab group. Throw yourself in.

UltraDad - I'm so sorry to hear what happened. It totally shows the insanity, doesn't it. You can stop and the minute you pick up you go right back to the worse. I hope you heal ok. I had a few trips to A&E/ER this Summer. I began to joke I should have my own cubicle. How twisted is that.

Kiki - *Hi 5!

It's day 40, peeps! I am loving taking this journey with you all as my online support. I am well, currently drinking copious amounts of tea and getting breakfast in a min. Another meeting this evening. I don't see them as a chore, I love them.

Congrats on 40 days snow!