SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2015 Part 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/372100-class-may-2015-part-7-a.html)

AllieKat 07-26-2015 08:11 AM

Good morning!

CaseyW 07-26-2015 08:43 AM

Good morning, Kale and Allie!

Starting day eighty here. My first (and hopefully only) day 80. Well, I guess technically I had a day eighty back in November 1974 when I was 80 days old.

About to head to the store to buy a piece of fish of some kind to cook for lunch. Work at 3:45 today. No other plans. Hope everyone has a happy and sober Sunday!

sagittarius714 07-26-2015 09:07 AM

80 days is great! I'm at 3 weeks,,(since my screw up) so I'm all good.

Work for me today also. Off tomorrow though, thinking about heading to the lake for a while with the family.

Supposed to get really hot. Ok, I'm not in Texas but anything over 75 is too hot for me, and we're going to hit the 90's. Ick.

Good to see you Allie, and kale, and has anyone heard from Cissy?

Ok, catch you guys later. Have a great day!

ThursdayNight 07-26-2015 09:45 AM

Good Morning All!

I wish everyone a great (and sober) day today. It's a gorgeous summer day here on the West Coast.

Anyway, I have been experimenting with non-alcoholic drinks and came up with a "Mint Julep" For anyone who is interested:

Muddle some fresh mint leaves with about 3 - 4 tablespoons of (non-alcoholic) margarita mix. Add sparkling water or Diet 7-up. Squeeze in a generous amount of fresh lemon or lime. Pour the concoction over crushed ice in a frosted glass. Add a mint sprig for garnish (and that wonderful aroma when you bring it to you nose).

For a more traditional non-alcoholic version, allrecipes.com has a really good version (although there's 1/4 cup sugar in it) and it also has a mint-lemonade iced tea recipe that rocks. :sun2

Okay back to the kitchen for me. My sponsor is coming over for lunch and to go over the last "assignment" she gave me. Never, did I ever think I would go to AA, much less find a sponsor. I recently read something, however, that rings true for me during this journey:

There is a principle which is a bar against all information and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - - - that principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

(I'll have to Wikipedia Herbert Spencer and see who he is.....)

CaseyW 07-26-2015 09:49 AM

We read that same quote at my last AA meeting, ThursdayN. It's a great one.

That mint drink sounds delicious though I'm wondering if my mind might think it's a little too close for comfort to a mojito. Might give it a try anyway. I've been on a sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice kick lately.

Congrats on 3 weeks, sagittarius!

Cissy 07-26-2015 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight (Post 5483165)
Good Morning All!

I wish everyone a great (and sober) day today. It's a gorgeous summer day here on the West Coast.

Anyway, I have been experimenting with non-alcoholic drinks and came up with a "Mint Julep" For anyone who is interested:

Muddle some fresh mint leaves with about 3 - 4 tablespoons of (non-alcoholic) margarita mix. Add sparkling water or Diet 7-up. Squeeze in a generous amount of fresh lemon or lime. Pour the concoction over crushed ice in a frosted glass. Add a mint sprig for garnish (and that wonderful aroma when you bring it to you nose).

For a more traditional non-alcoholic version, allrecipes.com has a really good version (although there's 1/4 cup sugar in it) and it also has a mint-lemonade iced tea recipe that rocks. :sun2

Okay back to the kitchen for me. My sponsor is coming over for lunch and to go over the last "assignment" she gave me. Never, did I ever think I would go to AA, much less find a sponsor. I recently read something, however, that rings true for me during this journey:

There is a principle which is a bar against all information and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - - - that principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

(I'll have to Wikipedia Herbert Spencer and see who he is.....)

:scoregood That sounds so refreshing! I love the quote. I'm glad you're enjoying AA and even having your sponsor over to your home. sounds like it was a great move to give it a whirl.

Sag, I'm fine. I am clicking on the thanks button for posts but don't have much to add right now. I'm here, though! Hugs to everyone. Casey, 80 days is amazing!!! :c011: Congrats to all of you for doing so well. :grouphug:

ClosetCinephile 07-26-2015 12:47 PM

Hey folks! Just thought I'd stop in and say hey. I posted a bit a while back, and outside circumstances took me away from the forums for awhile. I'm back now, and still sober/clean. I'm coming up to my 4th Step, but I must admit, I'm struggling with the "God thing." I'm a spiritual person, and I do believe things happen for a reason (fate), but I can't seem to let go of the not knowing for sure. The leap of faith. It actually has been causing me anxiety this weekend, BC I feel like I should have it down and I don't. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

CaseyW 07-26-2015 12:54 PM

Glad you checked in, ClosetCinephile, and that you're still sober. While I am attending some AA meetings, I have not been working an active program so don't have any real advice about the 3rd/4th Step. Maybe it would help to not think of it as a leap, but as one step forward at a time. Getting ready to head to work now but I'll think on your post as it is thought provoking. Wishing you the best and hope you'll be able to check in regularly here in the future.

Ginamarie323 07-26-2015 12:58 PM

Hi Closet.....Being an atheist myself I can't help you there either....which is why I'm hesitant about AA. Good for you for staying sober, though:)

Feeling like **** today, but I'll get over it. Hope everyone is doing well and having a fabulous weekend:)

ThursdayNight 07-26-2015 09:04 PM

Looks like we're the only ones awake at this hour Cissy! Anyway, I'm off to bed so wishing you a good night and a sober day tomorrow.

I can hear a hoot owl in the eucalyptus tree in the back yard tonight! I feel like I'm in a Disney cartoon - cue the hoot owl to remind me it's time to go to bed.

Dee74 07-26-2015 09:49 PM

Hi ClosetCinephile :)

I'm not in AA but I've been around it for a while now...

I think most folks find the 4th step brings up a lot of 'stuff'. With regards to the HigherPower thing - I had no problem in admitting I was not the greatest power in the universe.

Love, goodness, community - all those things were greater than I was :)

D

CaseyW 07-26-2015 10:02 PM

Ending day 80. Good, solid, kinda boring day. Work was slow but I still made decent money. I'm getting ready to watch the season two premiere of Rick and Morty. That was my favorite new television show of last year so I'm excited about that.

Very quiet in here. How's everyone doing? Hope you had a happy and sober weekend.

Odisnow 07-27-2015 05:31 AM

Hey everyone! Checking in on day 10 and feeling pretty good. Actually I'm feeling great :) Just a few more weeks of school and I will finally have my masters!! Things at work seem to be headed in the right direction too!! It is seriously amazing how 10 days can make such a difference on my attitude and outlook on life. This is the first time in awhile I've been in such a good mood. I love getting on here and reading everyone's posts and hearing about their progress. Drinking hasn't been on my mind besides when friends are talking about partying on our days off. I'm hoping after a few weekends they will get the point that I won't be drinking and stop bothering me about it. I saw Allie talking about music the other day and just want to say that I am loving the song called "my fight song" I believe that's what it is called. Anyway there is something about it that just makes me feel empowered and so lucky to be on the better side of this fight for my sobriety, it could not have been out at a better time for me. Well time to head to bed goodnight everyone I hope you all have an amazing day :)

PixieD 07-27-2015 06:02 AM

Odis your amazing mood is radiating here..i feel it & love it!! Nose to books..you have work to accomplish! Good luck on the next few weeks, they will fly bye so quickly. :abca:
Happy & good sober Monday morning to everyone. Safe week!

CaseyW 07-27-2015 06:17 AM

Starting day 81 now. Just a normal Monday around here. I will probably go to a noon AA meeting. I work at 5:30 this evening. Other than that, no big plans. Just regular life stuff--clean around the house, some grocery shopping, etc. Feels good to not be crippled with a hangover while living ordinary life on a Monday morning.

Odisnow -- congrats on double digits! Glad to hear you're in a good place today. Take these good feelings and run with them. You're doing great.

Morning to you, PixieD! Hope others will check in soon. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Monday...

ThursdayNight 07-27-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5483962)

I think most folks find the 4th step brings up a lot of 'stuff'. With regards to the HigherPower thing - I had no problem in admitting I was not the greatest power in the universe.

Love, goodness, community - all those things were greater than I was :)

D

Dee, that was funny. :You_Rock_

KaleGrrl 07-27-2015 06:43 AM

Hey, everyone, wishing all a great week!
Casey, congrats on now day 81!! Love reading your encouraging posts here and elsewhere.
Sag, great on 3 weeks! Normally I wouldn't sympathize about hot weather, but we've been mostly in the 80's with all the rain. Unusual!
Thursday, that minty drink sounds delicious, though I haven't bothered with much of anything except what Casey does--sparkling water with a splash of something handy. :)
Gina, hope you're feeling better today. :hug:
Odisnow--10 days, that's so great! I'm so happy you're feeling confident and accomplished with that degree coming up. Good for you! :You_Rock_

Surrender2win 07-27-2015 07:01 AM

Good morning everyone! Just a quick check-in on this Monday morning. Sunny and hot in Illinois today... 88 and humid. My allergies are going crazy :( Other than that, I'm great :)

Casey, congrats on Day #81!

Sag, great job on 3 weeks. I'm, right with you on being too hot over 75! lol... My sister lives in Arizona and I'm not sure how she handles 115 degrees. Ugh.

Sounds like everyone is coming along nicely. Hope everyone has a great sober Monday!!

KaleGrrl 07-27-2015 07:03 AM

Welcome back, Closet, I'm not much help as I'm not in AA.
But maybe it's something like this?
I think we have thorns, weeds and thistles, and then there are the flowers.
The former we have to face but forgive (ourselves and others). I myself have my faith in that, asking God to forgive me and help me. And then we have to let go, to stop watering the weeds (mulling on the past destructively, continuing bad habits, going downhill in one way or another).
It's replaced by watering the flowers. Moving forward, changing our lives for the better, ignoring the weeds so that they wither and die. At some point, you might find yourself in lovely garden or even paradise. :Flower111
If it's overwhelming, simplify and go bit by bit, focusing a lot on moving forward to uplift yourself. For me, that's been the better way.

AllieKat 07-27-2015 07:12 AM

Good morning everyone. Hope you had a good weekend. I spent most of yesterday in the grocery store and the kitchen cooking stuff. :-)

Back to work today...