SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2015 Part 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/372100-class-may-2015-part-7-a.html)

KaleGrrl 07-22-2015 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 5477997)
Kale I am working up the courage...

Allie, when you're ready, I'm totally with you. I'll join an
AA group in my community. It's hard, because I don't want to be recognized, but I'll do that, for myself and with you. :grouphug:

nmd 07-22-2015 06:59 PM

Glad your are back and figuring out a plan allie

Heading off to bed, g'night all

KaleGrrl 07-22-2015 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by nmd (Post 5478053)
Glad your are back and figuring out a plan allie

Heading off to bed, g'night all

Wishing you a lovely sleep, my friend. :)

CaseyW 07-22-2015 08:13 PM

Rough day today. I need this class too. Not going to go into details as I've already sorta done that elsewhere. Anyways, grateful to be going to bed early tonight as day 76 comes to an end. Thanks to everyone who checked in on me the last few days and I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

Cissy 07-22-2015 08:36 PM

Wishing each of us a wonderful night's sleep or a lovely day (depending on where you are in the world.) God bless us all and may we get closer to our goals and learn to see ourselves in a much more positive light. We're all good eggs. Not a bad one in the bunch.

(((((Hugs)))))

Dharma33 07-22-2015 09:16 PM

Hi, Class-

Just checking in. Since it is after midnight, I believe this puts me at 70 days.

Welcome back, Odisnow! I tried moderating, for not sure how many years - found out that complete abstinence is the only way for me. It does get better every day.

Have a great sober day/night everyone!

Odisnow 07-22-2015 09:22 PM

Hey guys! The party is winding down just waiting for everyone to leave and guess what??? I'm sober :) I took a lot of crap for not drinking pretty much the whole night but I stayed strong and honestly wasn't even tempted. If anything this made me even happier about not drinking. Drunk people are pretty obnoxious and messy! I think this may have opened my eyes to some issues within my relationship with my boyfriend but that's for me to figure out later. Right now I'm just happy to be sober :)

Surrender2win 07-23-2015 04:21 AM

Way to go Odisnow!! Drunk people are very obnoxious and messy... pretty funny to watch too. Makes me VERY happy that I'm sober now. I took some crap last night too from my AH that is feverishly planning a party at our house over the Labor Day holiday. Lots of drunk friends/family members at my place. Can't wait. :(

Great job on staying sober! :)

Surrender2win 07-23-2015 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by KaleGrrl (Post 5478004)
Allie, when you're ready, I'm totally with you. I'll join an
AA group in my community. It's hard, because I don't want to be recognized, but I'll do that, for myself and with you. :grouphug:

Kale & Allie: I'll join you two with an AA meeting in my community too! :grouphug:

site1Q84 07-23-2015 05:13 AM

I think a lot of the crankiness comes from not having that stress relief of drinking. That used to be my method to wind down every day, and now I have to find news ways to let go of that stress.

PixieD 07-23-2015 05:28 AM

@site1Q Very true.. I'm Striving for a "cranky free" day regardless of what comes my way. ;) enjoy your day!

ThursdayNight 07-23-2015 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=Ginamarie323;5477933]Why must you all talk of food now? I'm going to have to order something and I blame you all! I've been on a kick lately of eating ice cream Drumsticks. It has got to stop. I've had 3 already today. And yes, Sagi, I get extremely irritable and bitchy sometimes....like last night, when I had a long, irritating deposition all flipping day. [ /QUOTE]

Crankiness - X check
Ice Cream Obsession - X check

I am definitely finding myself more irritable at cocktail hour. I can feel it on my face even. Now Pellegrino with crushed mint and lemon is my "cocktail" when home from work. I want wine, of course. But I find that after that first glass of my new cocktail, I am a bit calmer. If I'm really cranky I'll eat Rocky Road ice cream, right out of the container.

I have a rocking chair on the front porch and I'll just sit there and rock and eat ice cream. That definitely helps.

I think I'm the only one who quits alcohol and gains weight.

Gina, I also work in legal and during the day there is so much to do at the office, that I never think about alcohol. The moment I walk in the door at home, however, it's a different story. Wine was my reward at the end of the day, a way to compartmentalize. But I have to say it's getting easier.

The rewards of not drinking are so much greater than the fleeting "high" from drinking.

No longer do I wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety, self-loathing, and an impending feeling of doom. No longer do I sit on my couch with my morning coffee, trying to piece together the events of the night before.

Life is so much better sober. And yes there are difficult moments, but somehow the universe is with me on this try and is getting me through it.

ThursdayNight 07-23-2015 06:59 AM

To the ladies thinking of attending a women's AA group, I really hope you do. There is so much support, some occasional tears, but sometimes some very funny moments where everyone busts out laughing. I remember one girl saying that drinking made her "prettier, wittier and tittier".

And to the guys, there are men's "stag" meetings too.

Anyway, just sayin.

Glad you're back Casey. And it's nice to see people who started this thread re-join it.

Dee, remember Payton from class of May 2012? I still miss her!!!!

Love you guys. Have a great day. :grouphug:

nmd 07-23-2015 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5478128)
Rough day today. I need this class too. Not going to go into details as I've already sorta done that elsewhere. Anyways, grateful to be going to bed early tonight as day 76 comes to an end. Thanks to everyone who checked in on me the last few days and I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

Hi Casey- Do what you need to do for your own recovery first and foremost. I think we are all a little more fragile early on. Glad you are here and on SR in general!

Originally Posted by Odisnow (Post 5478190)
Hey guys! The party is winding down just waiting for everyone to leave and guess what??? I'm sober :) I took a lot of crap for not drinking pretty much the whole night but I stayed strong and honestly wasn't even tempted. If anything this made me even happier about not drinking. Drunk people are pretty obnoxious and messy! I think this may have opened my eyes to some issues within my relationship with my boyfriend but that's for me to figure out later. Right now I'm just happy to be sober :)

Congrats on staying sober at the party! Just be careful about thoughts that you now have your drinking "under control". I've done that a bunch of times; got through the party then decided I can have a drink later the next day. I have to agree 100% though, watching drunk people does not make drinking look appealing at all.

I'm going on day 4. Still packing for camp next week and cleaning up from the party this past Saturday. I'm sticking with the reduced coffee but it is tough. I slept better, but still have lower back soreness, tiredness, and miss having a cup of something warm. I don't want to quit coffee 100%, but I want to reset the caffeine addiction. On the positive side, I do notice I'm calmer. I'm a bit irritable from being tired, but I don't have the almost manic energy and short attention span I get when downing a lot of coffee. Hopefully just a few more days of the caffeine w/d symptoms.

CaseyW 07-23-2015 08:16 AM

Starting day 77 now. Eleven weeks! Keeping this short as I slept in a little late and I've got a lot to do this morning before I go to a noon AA meeting.

I'm usually off Thursdays but am maybe working tonight. A couple of weeks ago, I agreed to cover a shift for a guy tonight. Regret that decision as I'd rather have the night off. Oh well. I haven't seen the guy since so I'm hoping when I walk in tonight that he's there and I can just turn right back around and come home. But I'm assuming I'm working.

Talk to everyone later, I've got to get moving here...

Surrender2win 07-23-2015 09:14 AM

Glad to see you back Casey! Great job on Day #77. Hopefully, you'll have the night off. I'm off early tomorrow and can't wait. Lots to do...

NMD, great job on Day #4. Keep it up!

Thursday, you have me wanting ice cream right now. Almost lunchtime for me and that may be what I'm having. ;)

Hope everyone has a great day!! :)

Ginamarie323 07-23-2015 09:34 AM

Morning all. Glad you're back Casey:)

Thanks, Thursday. I can relate completely. I have noticed since I stopped drinking the depression and anxiety are much more manageable. When I was drinking, if it was 3 pm and I didn't already have a glass of wine in hand, I would start to go into panic mode. I've also read that alcoholism is quite common in legal field.

Hope everyone has a great day....can't believe it's Thursday already!

sagittarius714 07-23-2015 10:26 AM

Hi !
Glad your back Casey! Gina - I can imagine that the legal field is quite stressful! No wonder so many people turn to alcohol, its a shame really that there has to be so much stress involved in the simple notion of making a living, of surviving, you know what I mean?

Anyway, off to work in a few. I have found myself something to do - I am going to get back into music - listening to it, I am not musically talented - but I have been a couch potato in front of the tv for so long, and there's so much new stuff I want to explore, so I think I may do that for a while, see if any new bands hold my interest. Not pop, though. That's not my thing.

Anyway, hope you all have a great day!!!

AllieKat 07-23-2015 10:31 AM

Hey guys! Hope everyone is well today. I'm at work and really want to go home. I'm still upset about the events of the last two days and could really use a quiet night at home with my husband and daughter and the TV. :-)

I am struggling with committing to myself that I'm not going to drink. So many times I have told myself that and then not done it. I'm tired of lying to myself about it so I think I'm not even trying.

It's not a very good attitude to have right now and hopefully I will feel differently tomorrow once I get some family time in tonight. I haven't seen my husband for 2 days and my daughter was with a friend last night so I was alone. Family time is exactly what I need to get back on track. Chicken soup for the soul as they say.

AllieKat 07-23-2015 10:34 AM

Sag what kind of music do you like? I listen to music a lot while I'm at work.