SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2014 Part 22 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/370776-class-april-2014-part-22-a.html)

MariahGayle 10-02-2015 08:09 PM

Oh yeah, he's definaty glad to see me:)

topspin 10-02-2015 10:29 PM

Woo Hoo
Congrats on the new job Mariah !!!!!

That's really exciting,....

Same thing happened to me earlier Up,....the disappearing post ( don't hate that !?! )
:)

On pistol fetish, uhm ownership in the US of A
I'm probably biased because I've been a victimized with a gun,....

..in a long drawn out carjack robbery in Atlanta ,

Dollars to doughnuts this dude had no parental guidance, ..but he def. looked like he needed to score some dope that night. Had the crazy-eyes !

At the time it fundamentally changed me ( and not in good way ),
So I really am biased from personal experience , ... it's kind'a hard for me to think in hypotheticals subjectively.

freein14 10-03-2015 12:36 AM

Tops, that sounds terrifying. I'm so happy that we don't have a gun culture here. Visiting countries who's police carry guns really spooks me, it feels like I've entered a film where Bruce Willis is about to leap out from a car boot or something. I think police can do enough damage with a baton. There's a lot of controversy over here about the police using tazars (not sure of the spelling of that!)

UP, sorry you're under a rain cloud at the moment, thanks for blowing over some sunny skies to the UK. We'll give you back the sun soon - just a bit longer pleeeeease?

I'll be gardening today, and later cooking up a batch of lentil burgers for the freezer. I'm determined not to think about work issues, I'm trying to keep home free from angst.

Mariah, congratulations on your new job :fireworks2

Upward2Enlightenment 10-03-2015 03:15 AM

Sorry to hear what you went through top, I can understand why you would feel that way after that.
I think if they tried to ban guns in the US now it would only hurt the law abiding citizens for the most part. I think they really need to throw the book at people who supply criminals with guns. Also people need to be more responsible in securing the guns they own and educate their children properly about gun safety and the dangers.

obosob 10-03-2015 09:29 PM

Strewth Tops.... not good....

I nearly shot a mate with a 22 once. Both drinking and target shooting, missed by him by a foot. Hit the wall behind him.

No guns no tragedy...

But i do understand how difficult it would be to turn these laws around in the US.

Good luck Mariah...

Day 57 on version 2.0...!

stay tuned....

MariahGayle 10-03-2015 10:36 PM

Nice Obo!! Almost 2 whole months...so proud of you.....huge encouragement to me!!!!

Baby Shower a success, & now we just need the baby!!! house/puppy sitting again tonight for my Sis....plan on hanging out here a bit tomorrow, just take my time & lounge a bit in the am, as I have been "going" all week. Pup had escaped & had to go looking for him when I got out here this evening....neighbor boy across the field heard me calling for Him & brought him back....good thing he's so cute & has a sweet side, cause he's quite obnoxious. Have a great Sunday All!!

Upward2Enlightenment 10-03-2015 10:48 PM

Way to go obo, keep it up. :You_Rock_

Glad the shower was a success. Also glad the neighbor was able to help you with the puppy.

freein14 10-03-2015 11:24 PM

Great work Obo, :c011:

Mariah, glad the baby shower went well, looking forward to hearing news of the baby.

Last night, I had a realisation, that being alcohol- free is now my new "normal". I can remember in the first months of sobriety, wondering if I would ever stop wanting a glass of wine while I was cooking the evening meal. Preparing the meal seemed to be a major trigger. Well, that association has definitely been broken.

It seems a small thing, but it's nice to think my brain has moved on to healthier pastures. I ran out of fresh lemon for my water in the week, and I was cross with myself, but strangely didn't have the urge to get in the car just to go and buy a lemon. If that had been wine before April 2014, I would have been in that car before the carrots touched the pan. Just shows the power of addictive substances, it's not just about "liking" something or even about "habit". My lemon fills both those criteria.

Anyway, driving to my parents today. Have a great Sunday everyone.

topspin 10-04-2015 06:09 AM

yea, Freein, ....sometimes I wonder if I'm getting dementia because it feels like a short lifetime has passed since I was a drinker. lo

Obo, ..I think of you when I hear that Aussie comic Jim Jeffries,
He does a funny bit on guns !

Mariah,.. when is your first day ?

MariahGayle 10-04-2015 10:32 PM

I start next Monday TS......I scheduled to take some computer classes this week to update my skills a bit & am planning on getting the yard & house in order & having a conversation with Sons about helping me out more around here....at least cleaning up after themselves. Seems to fall on deaf ears but I plan on letting them know how much I need them to follow through, as my days off will be long with commute. I guess if they don't, I will hire someone to clean up after them & they can pay them...seems fair to me:dunno:

have a great week everyone

freein14 10-04-2015 11:00 PM

It is hard keeping work and home in some kind of order. I try to keep to a cleaning routine which does help, but goes out of window when work gets busy (like at the moment). I would really like to get a job which doesn't encroach on my days off, so I can stick to my routine.

By Wednesday, work will have calmed down and I'll be back to my normal hours. Not long now.

The weather has changed dramatically here, rain and high winds! I fear the winter is upon us. We had the fire lit last night, it was cosy.

Have a great start to the week all.

Upward2Enlightenment 10-05-2015 11:19 AM

If they don't clean up after themselves it sounds fair to make them pay to hire someone to do it Mariah.

Sounds like you have the weather I had the end of last week free. I swear that I didn't send it to you. ;)

Thought I'd share this, it's true. So many people have no clue about addiction.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...pssbp2zxc9.jpg

freein14 10-05-2015 11:48 AM

Yes, that's very insightful UP, thank you for posting.

I think that's what SR has done for me - helped me out of the hole.

I'm reading "stop thinking and start living" by Richard Carlson (thanks Mariah, for mentioning his books). It really is worth a read, especially if you're feeling low or depressed.

I'm anxious about a big presentation I have to do tomorrow. I'm not used to public speaking, and it feels a big deal at the moment. I'll be glad when it's done, I'll be a bit more cheery tomorrow evening when it's all finished.

Hope everyone's had a great start to the week.

obosob 10-05-2015 02:37 PM

5.40.am

Brilliant Up.......

MariahGayle 10-05-2015 03:39 PM

I like that UP...I know I get my strength here on SR, my April Fools & finding that support & "hand up" now in AA. I'm glad I'm not doing this alone anymore & there is no one who hasn't lived this, that could possibly understand.

You will be great tomorrow Freein! Deep breathes & positive affirmation.....I prayed to God befor my interview....to be with me, give me the right words, for confidence & truly believe he did that.

Was in my class today & heard there was a bomb threat at our Community College this am....school evacuated & all High Schools put into lockdown, including the one my Son attends....armed guards at all schools...my little Grandsons (he just started Kindergarten) I hope they find out who it was.....praying on all our worst fear.

Upward2Enlightenment 10-05-2015 06:52 PM

I'm sure that you will do great free.

Saw on the local news that there were threats to local colleges here Mariah but it sounded like it wasn't a credible threat but they weren't taking any chances.

freein14 10-05-2015 11:14 PM

Thank you! I'll let you know how I get on later.

I hope things calm down soon, in your area Mariah. I can't imagine how stressful that would be, especially while the community are still grieving.

I think we must be the only species who go out of their way to cause suffering to each other. What a waste of our beautiful minds.

I'm trying a different technique to manage today's anxiety. Rather than wishing the day to be over, I'm trying to stay present, and aim to enjoy each moment as it arrives. A bit of an experiment.

Hope everyone's day goes well.

rockstonic 10-06-2015 12:04 AM

Hi! Busy with midterms but thinking of you all! I have fall break coming up next week so I look forward to having a little more time to take inventory then. Wishing you all a wonderful week! :grouphug:

Dee74 10-06-2015 12:19 AM

I'm sure both you and guys - rocks and free - will do well :)

Time for a new thread tho... :)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-23-a.html

D