SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2014 Part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/336783-class-june-2014-part-3-a.html)

gracette 07-01-2014 04:56 PM

Hey all, I was trying to read through all the posts I missed but ran out of time, ya'll have been awesomely active! I just wanted to check in and say I'm good, on day 32. I feel like I can finally function again, for the first time in years, to be honest.

So happy and grateful that we're all here, everyone keeping hanging in there, you are worth it.

SnoozyQ 07-01-2014 05:08 PM

Congratulations Grace , that's a fantastic effort , welcome aboard xxxx :hug

kittycat3 07-01-2014 05:52 PM

Day 18! Kind of sad to find us in a new place on the forums, but it means we have more sober time under our belts. I am doing fine with no alcohol this week. I am meeting a friend tomorrow for "happy hour" but know she will support my not drinking. My 4th of July plans are set and no worries there, either. My family knows I'm not drinking and support that too. I'm also going to quit smoking - just had my last cigarette. I know I can do this! It won't be easy but I truly want to eliminate those cigs from my life.
I heard today I may have a business trip and would be going with a guy that drinks a lot of beer - it's not for sure yet, so trying to not overthink it. If I do go I will come up with a plan - will probably just say I'm not drinking for health reasons, and leave it at that.....I know I could also just say, I'll have an iced tea and not even give an excuse :)
Hope everyone is doing ok in their sober endeavors.

SnoozyQ 07-01-2014 06:02 PM

Way to go Kitty :-)

You sound like you are on the right track to me , good for you , you are doing great . It's hard when we are in early sobriety and get tested around big drinkers , something tells me you will be ok xxx

grantw 07-01-2014 06:10 PM

Day 10 and travelling just fine :-)

Minion09 07-01-2014 06:58 PM

Proud of everyone...keep it up Juners and I youre not feeling strong enough yet, join th july thread...we can never graduate enough right?
Hugs everyone!

Applekat 07-01-2014 08:19 PM

Closing out day 9. Looking forward to day 10 tomorrow. I'll be (crazily) taking my two little ones to an amusement park. Eeek!

I'd love to hear of everyone's plans/strategies for this looong, holiday weekend!

Applekat 07-02-2014 05:16 AM

Day 10!

Fourth of July weekend plans so far:

Saturday - evening - a very small gathering at my father in-law's house. I would always be offered, and drink, wine at his place. I am planning on just requesting diet coke and also bringing a few cans of sparkling water.

Sunday - we actually depart for a small vacation to the Adirondacks with the kiddos. This alone should be motivation to not drink the night before. Two years ago I drank a bottle of wine while packing the car and then proceeded to be 'car sick' the whole way after a very early morning departure. Ugh. :(

Sunday - Wednesday vacation - We are doing this small trip with my mother in-law and she doesn't drink at all. Her biggest vice is diet soda. I'm going to try to stick with her on that. Hubby will maybe have a beer or two out at dinner. This shouldn't be a tempting situation at all (nothing compared to the beach vacation I have coming up in August).

Someone in my April class thread recommended viewing this holiday weekend a bit differently - as in celebrating our freedom from the drink. I am independent of alcohol - free from it. Celebrate that.

doggonecarl 07-02-2014 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Applekat (Post 4754347)
I'd love to hear of everyone's plans/strategies for this looong, holiday weekend!

Here on the eastern seaboard, we are supposed to get a tropical storm on July 4th, the first of the season. So we'll be braced for that. Not that it is interrupting any holiday plans...I don't do the July 4th celebration. I stopped those alcohol-fueled excuses to party when I got sober. I guess I could do them sober now, but I realized I don't really like cooking and eating outdoors with the heat and the flies unless I'm drunk.

So I'll probably ride out the storm and watch some movies.

For those of you who aren't misanthropes, like me, and who enjoy people and social activities, be safe and sober.

Minion09 07-02-2014 05:32 AM

Have a wonderful day juners! Be strong and press on. 54 today...closer to 60 and I never thought that to be possible

cncquads 07-02-2014 05:38 AM

Just jumping in with my 5th day, I'm in the class of June this time. :)

CristinaN 07-02-2014 05:58 AM

Morning June Bugs. This 4th of July I will be with my in laws who are amazing and don't drink so no temptation there. Also Monday I will celebrate 30 days so I definitely don't want to mess that up!! Stick with it everyone. It is so worth it!!!!

anewpage 07-02-2014 07:02 AM

Good morning class of June :) Day 12 here.
4th of July will (hopefully) be a breeze for me since we're just staying home that day and there hasn't been any alcohol in my house for awhile.
Yesterday the AV was whispering to me a little, but it's getting easier to shoot him down (yeah, I'm female so I don't know why my AV is male?) And another good thing is that he is WHISPERING now. Before, he was downright yelling at me. It seems I'm getting stronger and the AV is getting weaker. Yay!
I am determined to keep going and get that one month coin at AA. I have so many people rooting for me, including myself. :)

FaithfulAndFree 07-02-2014 07:23 AM

Are all mornings gonna be tough? Lol. Besides this morning I'm in good spirits and ready to hit my week mark! Hope everyone enjoys their day.

EarlyHours 07-02-2014 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4754990)
Good morning class of June :) Day 12 here.
4th of July will (hopefully) be a breeze for me since we're just staying home that day and there hasn't been any alcohol in my house for awhile.
Yesterday the AV was whispering to me a little, but it's getting easier to shoot him down (yeah, I'm female so I don't know why my AV is male?) And another good thing is that he is WHISPERING now. Before, he was downright yelling at me. It seems I'm getting stronger and the AV is getting weaker. Yay!
I am determined to keep going and get that one month coin at AA. I have so many people rooting for me, including myself. :)

With the exception of being a male, I can really relate to the other 99% of this :) Well said anewpage, the voice really does get quieter. Congratulations on how far you've made it.

EarlyHours 07-02-2014 12:02 PM

EJM824, they definitely get easier. I actually look forward to Mondays now, though it really wasn't until after my second full week. In fact it took me close to 10 days before I FELT sober in the mornings.

bradley26 07-02-2014 01:32 PM

Feeling great today and have felt alot better in general even after my week binge after 6 weeks sober. My depression has really got better and i have got my motivation back for life. Even when i did get drunk last week, the self pity didnt seem as bad as it has in the past. My depression was bad for about 18 months then the last year it seems to have got better and better, like im naturally coming out of it, i dont know. No world cup today so ive just been running and continuing my weight loss and healthier lifestyle.

FaithfulAndFree 07-02-2014 03:37 PM

Thanks EarlyHours, by the end of each day I feel great and super positive. But boy Oh boy those mornings are tough.

grantw 07-02-2014 10:26 PM

Day 11 and rolling along.

At the risk of providing too much information, I spent the night with a beautiful woman last night, and can only say that sobriety is totally worth it :-)

Kiya 07-03-2014 04:09 AM

Good morning everyone. Moving into day 33 today and while I enjoy mornings sober I have to say sober evenings are by far my favorite. I get so much more accomplished while not drinking. I felt for years like all I did was get up and go to work then repeat. And it was true but not because I didn't have time. I was spending the time drinking and not doing anything. Then the next morning couldn't tell you what I'd been doing the night before hardly.

The time motivation I've gained are my new blessings I'm thankful for currently.