SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year & Under Club Part 32 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/332294-one-year-under-club-part-32-a.html)

Dee74 05-16-2014 03:19 PM

One Year & Under Club Part 32

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-31-a-21.html

D

Gilmer 05-16-2014 03:20 PM

Bwa-ha-ha! I got it!

Alysheba 05-16-2014 03:23 PM

Thanks Dee!

DrakeCKC 05-16-2014 03:23 PM

Curses, foiled again.....:headbange

IWLSAST 05-16-2014 03:41 PM

Curses, foiled again? I'm the one with no drivers license, nowhere to go, nobody to see. :(

tootsl1 05-16-2014 03:42 PM

Gilmer, consider shotgun your 6th anniversary gift! Xx

DrakeCKC 05-16-2014 04:30 PM

:( sorry if that somehow offended or upset you Carlos.

IWLSAST 05-16-2014 04:49 PM

Drake, goodness no, I'm not upset about anything. Not really even feeling sorry for myself. However, I am going a bit stir crazy. It's not exactly Manhattan outside my front door. Three cars passed me earlier today as I walked my two mile course on the main road.

It was I who choose to remain here for at least the first couple months while I do some remodeling. Soft serve, which I would love tonight is a six mile round trip. I may buy a bicycle on Sunday which will help in these lonely times when only ice cream would do!

Using the same phrase was just my initial thought, sorry!

Oh, thanks, Dee.

Gilmer 05-16-2014 06:42 PM

Every once in awhile we are in the right place at the right time and we are able to make another person's life just a little more bearable. That's a really wonderful feeling. That's a high that it's not bad to crave!

DrakeCKC 05-16-2014 06:50 PM

Thanks Carlos, I mis-read the whole thing. :hug:

tootsl1 05-16-2014 07:22 PM

I wonder how long it will take the rest of the Undies to find the new thread this time?? Bets anyone?? :lmao:

gleefan 05-16-2014 07:47 PM

I had a great night out and about, instead of inside my head. :)

My friend and her son hosted a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society at the skating rink where our kids play hockey. It was nice to catch up with our friends and enjoy lighthearted conversations, while supporting a good cause. They raised $2200, which is pretty impressive considering they pulled it together in only a few weeks. I half expected Needy to show up as it was a public event held in a public location for a cause near and dear to her heart, but she didn't. I suspect she's trying to be hurtful to me, but to be honest I'm relieved to not deal with her volatility.

Toots - I have this fantasy of sitting at a typewriter and seeing what comes out. I may not be a good writer but I love the sound of the keys and the zing of the return, or at least the memory of those things. Gosh, as I write this I find myself scheming how to get ahold of a typewriter, ribbon, and paper. I admire your confidence to have a go at a novel. What does your creative process look like?

Gilmer - How wonderful that you marked your 6 months with props from your son. That sounds great.

Tanja - I'm sure you are bombarded with advice about insomnia, yet I'm compelled to share my $0.02. Exercise helps me, especially cardio, but when my sleep is especially out of whack, full body resistance training gets me back on track.

Carlos - Are you living in a secluded area without a car by choice? In any case, a bike sounds like a good investment, and a helmet an even better one. I have a friend whose life, or I should say brain, was saved by wearing a helmet when he fell off his bike on a flat bike path. He usually didn't wear a helmet on that path, but his kids were nearby when he left for his ride and he put on his helmet to act as a good example to them. End of safety lecture from Officer gleefan.

Have a good night, Undies!

courage2 05-16-2014 10:21 PM

Gleefan, Carlos had his license suspended. Hence the bike. Sounds like a good idea, Santana-man.

Dee, thanks for the new thread!

Gilmer, I'm glad you celebrated your 6 months by doing some good in the world.

One of my isms stopped by to pay me a surprise visit in the middle of the afternoon. Times like this, I swing up in a drama-fueled rush and then crash back down with various forms of fear and self-doubt, roller-coaster style. The ride is obviously part of my insanity, but I don't know if I want to give it up, you know? Like ice cream. Well, I didn't smoke any cigarettes today, so that's something. And I didn't have a drink, so that's something, too.

I hope all the Undies are ok, and find the new thread soon.

Gilmer 05-16-2014 10:22 PM

Glad you weathered the storm, Courage!

courage2 05-16-2014 10:27 PM

I'm not sure I really did yet, but thanks. As my mother very often said, I always take things too far. Another thing she said was, "Somebody's going to get hurt."

How are you?

Gilmer 05-16-2014 10:29 PM

I am doing fine. Insomnia tonight!

Verte 05-16-2014 10:33 PM

Courage and Gilmer. I relate to both of your afternoons and evenings. Happy middle of the night :)

Gilmer 05-16-2014 10:35 PM

Welcome, LeTheVerte! Good to see you! What's new today?

courage2 05-16-2014 10:37 PM

Happy middle of the night to you, too, LeThe! Is your username for tea, or the river Lethe, or both?

Verte 05-16-2014 10:41 PM

Smiles Courage :) Actually I love to drink green tea and my first language was French.

I had no idea that I would be so active on this site or I would have used an easier to type name :) I might change it to 'thegreentea'.

Gilmer. Good generally. Thrilled to be sober. Just worked so hard to stay sober all afternoon that the night came and I totally crashed.

Trying to stay 'out of my head'.

courage2 05-16-2014 10:44 PM

You're welcome among the Undies, LeThe.

Goodnight, ladies.

Gilmer 05-16-2014 10:52 PM

LTV, we just started a new thread, as you can see. If you go back to the previous one and go back about 10 pages, you'll see some sharing about who we all are and our sobriety stories.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-31-a-21.html

Gilmer 05-16-2014 10:55 PM

I've got a long day of driving tomorrow. I'd better try again to sleep. See you later, LTV!

Elseware 05-17-2014 03:47 AM

Oh, hello, insomniac club! Here we are again @ 3:40 AM. I've been awake since 2:40. It's my new way of life. I'm getting so used to it, it doesn't even bother me anymore. NOT! Actually I'm feeling fine right now and could go for a cup of coffee. The full moon is shining bright through my window. Have a good day in spite, my Dears

gleefan 05-17-2014 04:35 AM

Carlos I know the license suspension wasn't your choice....It sounded like you are living on a vacation property instead of a more centrally located one, but I guess I the situation all wrong....oops!

I'm off to spend half a day at a "training" on what I like to call love time. My employer requires that I receive a certain amount of professional education every year, and while my employer pays for the training, they don't pay for me to go during work hours. That is the industry standard, but my cantankerous thought process kicks it into high gear, ruminating that I deserve "better" than this and that I am "better" than my industry peers. I was up late last night thinking about how I didn't want to go. This kind of thinking has led me to sabotage perfectly good opportunities doing work that I like in the past. My current job isn't perfect, or even close, but it allows me to balance my responsibilities to my family. So, today, I vow to rise above my negativity, learn what I can at my training, and remember that I'm no better than anyone else in the room. I'm honestly not sure how I figured this out. That's a huge/massive/enormous realization for me.

Have a good day Undies. :)

gleefan 05-17-2014 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 4655822)
LTV, we just started a new thread, as you can see. If you go back to the previous one and go back about 10 pages, you'll see some sharing about who we all are and our sobriety stories. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-31-a-21.html

Welcome Ltv. I've seen you on the threads. Looking forward to learning more about you. :)

IWLSAST 05-17-2014 05:18 AM

Morning Undies,

I'm really not feeling all that bright and chipper this morning. No matter though, it still feels pretty darn good to not be hungover. So for like the 50th consecutive Saturday morning I will experience the joy of addition through subtraction.

I'm just realizing that this anti-alkie concept is ubiquitous in recovery. Learning to be grateful for what we have by expanding its potential, or, better yet, just giving it away without wanting more. If they ever taught anything like that in the schools I attended I must have been absent, or drinking that day.

So, first and foremost, I am grateful for not having bought or brought any chaos home with me last night to wake up next to me in bed this morning. Chaos can have some serious 49 in the breath department.

LTV, welcome to the Undies. I popped in on you blog and read about your recent falling out with your sick old friend. I love that take. I may have a conversation with an empty bottle of Grey Goose and Patron on June 3rd, just to see where it takes us after a year's absence? Thanks for the idea.

Else and Courage, I hope you are both sawing some logs. Gilmer, drive carefully.

Courage, you just took me back to the first post I made on SR on 11/1/10. It followed being dumped by this babe that did exactly what I told her to do when we started up together. I told her if I ever drink, dump me...she did. Anyway, she called me Santana Man. Oh no, are you dumping me too, JAWS? (classic post!) Yes, PP, I too can archive and be nostalgic. Will you be having coffee with your new potential sponsor this weekend?

Glee, congrats on your n-free night outside your noggin. Yes, I do live in a secluded area. It was our weekend/summer retreat outside the city when married. Not all that populated this time of year yet. I promise to buy a helmet with my bike. Me thinks you would make a good task master! DG, the second coming.

So Toots, have any of us made our way into the novel? Haha, your creative process. All I can think of is this PM you sent me a while back...:).

Drake, congrats on the progress at getting your ride street worthy again.

Well, off to my multitude of chores, then cleaning up for a sleepover.

Enjoy the weekend, Undies. Keep it clean and sober too, okay?

Carlos xx

tootsl1 05-17-2014 05:20 AM

Good morning all
I hope you insomniacs got some rest, I actually slept right thru last night and feel refreshed.

LTV, welcome to the Undie Club,

Courage, I hope your Ism has now left you in peace? If not stick close.

Gilmer, happy travels home love. What a wonderful wee trip you have had.

Gleefan well done on developing a little humility, I always think I know more than anyone, but have to accept even one such as I still has something to learn!

Drake, Carlos, Aly, and other Undies, have a great weekend

courage2 05-17-2014 07:15 AM

Hi all,

Carlos, great post! Thanks, it helped me.

Gilmer, I hope you got some sleep. I did, some.

I gotta admit, I'm closer to a drink today than I've been in months. FS is out of town. The weather's lovely. I have work to do, but on a pretty weekend, the thought of spending the afternoon in the office just makes me want to drink. And my "isms" are much on my mind so I'm not feeling a lot of tranquility. I'll hit a couple of meetings and maybe call someone I know in AA to have coffee together -- not the potential sponsor, I'm still not sure if I want to pursue that.

I'll make it through today sober. But I wish I weren't always playing con games in my own head. Ah well. Putting down the drink doesn't solve all the one's problems, does it? Although it sure removes a big, fat obstacle to solving them.

Have a great day, everyone. I'm overthinking and should get moving instead. :wave:

DG0409 05-17-2014 08:13 AM

Carlos- A bike sounds like a wonderful idea... plus it will further your goal of getting into shape again. It might not initially sound like fun, but my guess is that once you started riding, you'd really actually enjoy it. Being stuck in some remote place without a driver's license actually sounds like my idea of paradise- granted, I'm a total introvert so I get that you might not be as thrilled about the idea.

Courage- I was kind of glad to hear that you could relate about the cooler- although at the same time I was sorry that you ever had to put up with the things! Maybe you could make plans for something enjoyable after you get done with your work today? A walk in the park, a funny movie, making fruit smoothies?

Toots- If you're looking for somebody to help proof-read that book of yours, send me a PM. For a friend like you, I'd go through the torture of reading pages and pages of your writing. Seriously though, I bet it's good.

Glee- I hope you get something useful out of the training.

Anyway, I am off to finish up that stupid cooler. I was going to do it yesterday but decided some of the pieces needed more time for the paint to dry. Then it's time to clean up the house and get ready for some company for a couple of days. And I'll probably be finalizing the deal on my 'new' car in a couple days, so I am pretty excited about that.