SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of November 2012 - Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/283895-class-november-2012-part-6-a.html)

Marine28 02-18-2013 08:11 PM

Good job, VR!!!! Glad you didn't give in. Similar thoughts have crossed my mind....I think it is par for the course we are on. But I treat it just like a craving....that it too will pass. I am 100 days in about an hour...... :-)

veryready 02-18-2013 08:19 PM

Marine let me be the first to say :You_Rock_

Marine28 02-18-2013 08:26 PM

Sazzle, check your Spam folder or the meditation challenge. I am getting almost daily reminders . It starts March11.

Dee74 02-18-2013 08:26 PM

great stuff Marine - congratulations :)

D

Sazzle 02-18-2013 11:43 PM

Marine, congrats on 100 days! What great news for me to wake up to....

You're an inspiration and your advice is always spot on.

Have a great day.

S x

Sazzle 02-18-2013 11:46 PM

Woke up this morning raring to go to work and be useful and also thought of Junebugapril

I hope you're still reading this June, but just to busy to post.

S x

phoebe64 02-19-2013 12:09 PM

I am pretty sure June is just fine. I think she does her meetings. I did get a personal communication from her in the last week, recommending some readings re: women and sobriety. So, I have confidence she is doing well.

VR, I am so proud of how you handled your friend. I would have caved to at least having the beer in the house(or wine, in my case), then had to handle the leftovers. My husband drinks nearly daily, and quite heavily on Friday and Saturday nights, and holidays. So, I face this daily. Ugh. It can make me quite miserable and certainly contributed to my slips. I know he was happy to have me as a drinking buddy. He has never fought with me about my drinking, though I have complained about his here and there for as long as we have been married. So, you were very courageous ans strong to not allow the drink into the house.

I am plugging along. Grumpy on weekends due to the hubby issue. We had dinner out and he still gets a beer or two, and I drink my water. It bugs me. I wish he would skip it at least when we go out for a "date." I do think he is alcoholic. So, I do not fight about it. I think he needs to come to his own realization. But it is sad. he is very functional, but boring and sits and drinks each weekend night. Ho hum. He is a quiet or chatty, happy drunk. But I just get annoyed once he gets to 4 beers or so, and i am sober. he starts thinking he is so wise and gets a little slurry, eventually. Not crazy drunk, but annoying. I hate the smell of a drinker when I am sober as well. Maybe this is talk for the Al Anon section, huh?

Anyway, I have been exercising everyday now for a good 2 weeks. and pretty good before that, but really into it right now. It helps my back, now that it is doing better. If I miss a day, I feel stiff, so it is a motivator. Also joined a weight loss group at another website I visit. Getting some support with that. I really want to drop 10-20 pounds. I hope I can.

Congrats to all on the milestones! Marine, Nomis, Sisterella, and everyone, if I am missing anyone.

veryready 02-19-2013 12:50 PM

Rochele I know you don't like to count your days anymore, but you have probably earned one of these by now.

:You_Rock_

Sazzle 02-19-2013 11:45 PM

Rochele, good luck on your weightloss journey. I really need to get into exercise as I know it will make me feel good.

I just concentrated on quitting first and didn't exercise as my heart felt like it was going to explode just by living!

It know how difficult it is living with an problem drinker. I feel so sorry for you, it would be nice to have some support. My flatmate drinks heavily and I hate the smell of stale alcohol in the apartment. He breaks plates and is clumsy etc when he comes back after drinking and cooks. I'm lucky as he is not my responsibility and I'm asking him to move out by summer. He's bad with money, irresponsible and just bad energy to be around.

Sorry Rochele I've turned this about me again (I do that a lot *blush*)

---------------------

In other news. I'm meeting with my sister, niece & nephew for lunch today and I can't wait. I'm getting into work so early these days that I don't have to work through lunch to make up the hours. I can take a two hour lunch today without feeling guilty, whatsoever.

S x

phoebe64 02-20-2013 05:43 AM

Sazzle, and VR, thanks!

No worries, Sazzle. I do that too. You are not making it about you, but identifying with the situation. It is hard fro you, but good you do have a choice to get rid of the drunk flat mate. Though I know you have been friends, so not so easy.

With my dh, well, he is a good dad, and only has 2 or 3 beers on weeknights, maybe not on a Monday. But that used to be only 1-2, and when I met him, I think he would not drink at all on a weeknight or if home and doing nothing much social. Whereas, i would have a glass or 2 of wine, occasionally, alone, but not binge more when out either. I was a successful moderate drinker for a long time who did not obsess over the drinking.

However, I think my dh was working harder to control it then, and when I was fine with having one on a regular night, he was more than happy to join me. And He has *never* turned down a beer. Never. Never. Eventually, my drinking increased, and so did his, and together we enjoyed drinking, but I found myself unable to keep up with his crowd, and we fought a bit about how much he drank, etc...

Then, I became the lush, after my dad got sick, mostly. My hubby has never complained! I swear, i would sit and drink 4 glasses of wine some nights and just watch TV, after a tough day, and he never cared. it gave him permission to drink. And now that I do not, he does seem to sometimes have less, but then I see the next day, he will have a 3rd.

I wish he would stop, for his health. Before he has a serious issue like I do. Diabetes also runs in his family. He is a nice guy, but becoming very boring, flat, not much interest in things.

And it is a unsettling reflection of what I was as well. But, really, he kept me around, right? I can hope he comes around, or figures out his health will suffer if he does not or something. I can see leaving him if it never changes and the kids grow up and are gone. I just do not want to sit around watching him drink in retirement.

Sazzle 02-20-2013 02:51 PM

Oh Rochele I really feel for you and your situation.

I keep hoping that my flatmate will follow my example, be able to see how much better I'm doing and how much healthier I am. I look so much better as I'm not puffy, bloated, red & sweaty anymore. Just tonight he was complaining of a pounding heart when he goes to bed. I said that's what finally made me quit, I felt like I was about to explode each night. He's still out drinking and I left them all to it after a tomato juice.

It's so frustrating that you can't make others quit. They have to realise it for themselves, if they do at all.

When I first quit I was worried how it would affect my chances if finding a partner but now I'm not so concerned as I'm so much more confident in myself and what I want/deserve.

I think we are less willing to compromise now, don't you think?

S x

Sazzle 02-20-2013 10:54 PM

Hi gang

How are you all doing?

S x

veryready 02-21-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sazzle (Post 3828431)
Hi gang

How are you all doing?

S x

Terrific. Got some snow last night. Kids are PO'd we did not get enough to make it a snow day.

Happy I will be able to make the local 'nooner' meeting today.

nomis 02-21-2013 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sazzle (Post 3828431)
Hi gang

How are you all doing?

S x

All fine on this front, Thursday, almost Friday. That's about it really.

ForMeForThem 02-22-2013 05:09 AM

Hi all! Back from New York. Then had 2 busy days at work to catch up for not being there. My kids are on school break, so been trying to spend as much time with them in between as I can. So, my trip...

NY was ok. I kept very, very busy. I attended all my classes, even when some skipped out for early drinks. It was a jam packed schedule, with classes from morning to late afternoon, and speakers after that. We had one large dinner with all of the people who were on the trip, 17 people. When the bill came and we had to split it for everyone's expense accounts, it was thrown at me to handle since I was the sober one! The restaurant took only cash. So as I'm figuring the bill and collecting the money, one of our board members who was VERY drunk, kept making comments and putting his hands in the money, just being really obnoxious. It had been such a long day and long trip, I just couldn't deal with him anymore and I put my hand up and gave him some firm words, basically told him to back off and be quiet! He got this shocked look on his face and everyone else at the table started laughing, which agitated him more and then he muttered something like "I could have you removed!" The next day he was all smiles like he didn't even remember it! Funny that if I had been drunk along with him I probably would have been laughing at his comments, but instead I had to speak to him like I was his mother. I'll have to work on handling drunk people, I guess I can't go around yelling at them for their behavior, especially when it's my boss ;)

I'm looking forward to the end of this week, it has been long and stressful. Just need some down time with my family. Work is kicking my butt and my husband is not liking that (neither am I). Things should start to settle down.

I'm glad you all are doing well. Looking forward to the meditation challenge in March. I was wondering about that.

Have a great day all!

ForMeForThem 02-22-2013 05:16 AM

Sisterella, BIC, Nomis and Marine (and anyone I may have missed)....

Congrats on your milestones!!!!

:bbj::dance1::dance8::bday8

Marine28 02-22-2013 06:33 PM

Hi there everyone. I am a bit homesick tonight so a bit depressed. It's only temporary, I know. The weather will be glorious this weekend, so hoping to get a golf game in. Hopefully my score will not further depress me!

FMFT - your story about your business trip sounds familiar. You handled it well.

Sazzle 02-23-2013 12:13 AM

Oh FMFT I think you handled your obnoxious drunk boss really well. I usually leave before the end of anything these days but that wasn't an option for you.

Work is taking over my life in an unhealthy way too. I'm grateful that my weekends are still twice as long for me now I'm clear headed.

Nomis- hello *waves*

Marine I'm sorry you are feeling a little homesick.

S x

Sazzle 02-23-2013 12:18 AM

Well another weekend is here and I have lovely plans. Tonight is one of my employees surprise birthday party. I'm so privileged that his daughter thought to invite me. He's going to be so shocked. I'm a little nervous as I'm going on my own and I only really know him, but I'm sure I'll be ok and it's not about me really is it?!

Today I'm meeting friends for breakfast, another friend for lunch and hopefully going to buy a dress for the party. I've lost over a stone now and feeling pretty light so new clothes are defo on the cards!

Tomorrow I'm going to the movies and batch cooking my fave healthy meals.

Oh it's bitter cold here too but the sun is shining.

S x

Sisterella 02-23-2013 09:44 AM

Okay guys... curiosity question. Do ya'll still wake up and for an instant not remember all that happened the night before and freak out for just a second that you drank? Or am I the only weird one out here (it's okay if I am ... I've gotten quite comfortable in my weirdness).

Congrats Marine on your milestone and for everyone handling some really tough situations so well! Ya'll rock!

Please keep my sister in your thoughts in prayers. She checked into rehab on Feb 11th.