SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of November 2012 - Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/283895-class-november-2012-part-6-a.html)

nomis 02-23-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sisterella (Post 3832164)
Okay guys... curiosity question. Do ya'll still wake up and for an instant not remember all that happened the night before and freak out for just a second that you drank? Or am I the only weird one out here (it's okay if I am ... I've gotten quite comfortable in my weirdness).

Congrats Marine on your milestone and for everyone handling some really tough situations so well! Ya'll rock!

Please keep my sister in your thoughts in prayers. She checked into rehab on Feb 11th.

Nope, but woke up on Thursday thinking it was Saturday already. Does that count?

:c031:

Sazzle 02-23-2013 04:08 PM

Oh yes Sisterella! I drink a lot of water sometimes when I go out and that can make me feel a bit tipsy drunk. I suppose my memory blanks now are just because I have a bad short term memory. If I eat a lot of sugar/carbs I can also feel hungover. That freaks me out as I literally feel just as groggy as when I drank. I suspect it's my liver processing the heavy foods but I also get the same bloaty face and eyelids too.

I'm about to turn in now after the party and I'll pray for your sister. I hope she is ok. Look after yourself too Sis.

S x

Dee74 02-23-2013 04:49 PM

I attribute that to old age on my part Sisterella :)

D

Sisterella 02-23-2013 09:20 PM

Nomis I relate! On Tuesday morning this week I looked at the clock and said, "Good grief it's only 9:30!!" and my co-worker piped up and said... "Yes and it's ONLY Tuesday!"

Saz... If drinking water made me feel tipsy I may drink it more often! LOL! I've always wished working out made me feel that way so I could be addicted to that!

Sazzle 02-24-2013 04:55 AM

Perhaps it's high on life! I truly enjoy drinking nourishing water when I'm out because I feel like, not only am I not drinking, but I'm healing myself in the best way possibly too by drinking natural still water.

But I'm bonkers too, I've grown to realise lately!!

Sx

Dee74 02-24-2013 05:01 AM

Have a good day guys :)

D

Marine28 02-24-2013 07:11 AM

Blackouts on water, eh? That's a new one. :-)
I think our minds get so saturated with work, stress, etc that sometimes it says enough is enough and just shuts down from absorbing any new information.
I still find it absolutely amazing with how much clarity I can remember some of my worst hangovers and how much the mind still wants that first drink, even a day later. And how much the mind tries to trick us into having one is okay. We all know where that leads. Not sure why I started thinking about that today.
Going to,go,to Yoga and then just relax at the Pool all afternoon. I did start my "couch to 5k" program, but only run in the late afternoon due to the heat.I played some golf yesterday and the heat really got to me.

Sazzle 02-25-2013 02:18 PM

I really need to start a fitness regime! I've been coasting lately.

S x

Marine28 02-25-2013 07:40 PM

I am coasting on my "couch to 5k program" already. LOL! The Heat is really bad. Not sure how people do it. Any runners out there? How do you run in the high heat? It was still in the high 80's at 6pm. I barely made it around the block.

veryready 02-25-2013 08:30 PM

If you guys haven't seen it there is the kicking asphault thread. Lots of us trying to get some exercise. I think it helps with the motivation to checkin there.

Marine, as far as the heat goes, I never get used to it. I have friends that it doesn't bother, but it poops me out.

ForMeForThem 02-26-2013 03:47 AM

Good news/Bad news

November friends, I have some bad and good news I need to share. The bad news is I drank again. This weekend I bought wine, I guess I felt I could have some to de-stress. I know the pattern, the stress builds, I get overwhelmed and to keep a happy face or to escape for awhile, I cave. The same thing happened when I slipped around the holidays. I’m sorry to disappoint all of you, I’m disappointed in myself. I want all of this to stop. I feel like I’ve been floundering and I need to make some more changes. So now for the good news. I realized I can’t do this alone and I had a long, heart to heart with my husband. I’ve tried to talk with him in the past, but was never so direct, I was always afraid to disappoint him or afraid of what would happen if I were too honest and I think he was happy not to have to face that there was a bigger problem and it was kind of brushed aside. Can’t say I blame him for not wanting to fully face the facts here. It was really hard, but last night, I put it out there, I told him I had a real problem, I needed his help and support and I needed to be accountable. I’m not sure he completely gets it because he did ask why I can’t just drink moderately - but he did agree that he sees there’s a bigger problem here and he wants to help me get better. He drinks only on occasion and rarely at home, so luckily I am not faced with that difficulty. I dumped out the rest of the wine from the weekend. I really thought I could beat this on my own and he and my family would never really have to know the difference, but I know I need his full support and I’m glad I truly asked for it this time. I'm thinking about AA, but not sure I'm ready for that leap.

I think I’ll join the March class when it starts in a couple days. Starting over sucks, but I’m hopeful this time with more support and accountability from my husband, I can make a plan and make it work.

I’ll still check in with you, because I care about each of you and am truly proud of your successes.

veryready 02-26-2013 07:18 AM

ForMeForThem I'm really proud of you. Your doing the right thing, the thing that is best for you and your family. I think that's a good idea to join the newcomers thread, but of course stay in touch here if you can.

I am in a similar boat. My wife doesn't get it (good in a way). She really doesn't want to here about AA and the other day said 'was it really THAT bad' (my drinking). Yesterday she asked me to not leave my AA book laying around. Not sure how to feel about that. I feel bad sometimes sneaking to AA meetings, but it's what I need to do, and that can't be as bad as sneaking drinks in the garage, or putting jagermeister in my coffee right?

Junebugapril 02-26-2013 10:15 AM

Hi Kids!
Formeforthem, please stay with us, you are always a big part of our group! Sorry to hear you slipped. I know you will get right back on the horse and you will be fine. I'm rooting for you.

Sorry I have not posted lately. I have slacked off on meetings, too. I am having a friend from London visit this weekend, and was thinking about offering her a glass of wine -- I still have that bottle of wine in the closet.

Maybe it would be too much temptation for me to open it, maybe I would want some too.

I am still using my fancy schmancy drinks. Lately I am on a kick of tomato juice and naturally sparkling mineral water with a lemon wedge.

My back is feeling much better. I got up to 45 minutes on the exercise bike. My friend says that alcohol is inflammatory, so maybe stopping drinking is why my back is better.

I asked my physical therapist about that and he said it's a bunch of hooey ;)

How is everyone?
Love you all!
Junebug

Junebugapril 02-26-2013 10:24 AM

One more thing, I am very happy we are all still here!

I kind of hated the Big Book. I told Rochele about this in a private email. The Big Book is pretty Male-1930's oriented, and really turned me off. The steps still don't jive that well for me, but my sponsor got a new book and workbook for me that is much better. More touchy-feely, with meditations, and much more oriented for people that question spirituality.

The book is A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps: Stephanie S. Covington: 9780894869938: Amazon.com: Books

And there is a workbook that is pretty good too A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps Workbook: Stephanie S. Covington Ph.D.: 9781568385228: Amazon.com: Books

Sisterella 02-26-2013 03:17 PM

Wow! Seems like we are all going through it. I logged on just now to beg you guys to send good thoughts and prayers my way. I am having one of those day that I am so anxious and upset and feel like such crap and I JUST WANT TO DRINK and FEEL BETTER. Then I realize I can't and burst into tears and start sobbing, which makes the whole thing worse {typing through tears}. I have felt so normal lately, and today it is like I'm back to square one. I'm NOT going to drink, but I'm am SO angry about not being able to because I just want to feel better. I'm hoping it's just hormonal.... I'm scared it's not.

FMFT.... Don't LEAVE US ! You are a Novie... for better or for worse. Took more guts than some have had to come on here and admit what you did. Proud of you. Proud of you for talking to your husband. Praying for both of you!

June... glad to see you back sweetie... I've missed you!

Sazzle 02-26-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ForMeForThem (Post 3836250)
November friends, I have some bad and good news I need to share. The bad news is I drank again. This weekend I bought wine, I guess I felt I could have some to de-stress. I know the pattern, the stress builds, I get overwhelmed and to keep a happy face or to escape for awhile, I cave. The same thing happened when I slipped around the holidays. I’m sorry to disappoint all of you, I’m disappointed in myself. I want all of this to stop. I feel like I’ve been floundering and I need to make some more changes. So now for the good news. I realized I can’t do this alone and I had a long, heart to heart with my husband. I’ve tried to talk with him in the past, but was never so direct, I was always afraid to disappoint him or afraid of what would happen if I were too honest and I think he was happy not to have to face that there was a bigger problem and it was kind of brushed aside. Can’t say I blame him for not wanting to fully face the facts here. It was really hard, but last night, I put it out there, I told him I had a real problem, I needed his help and support and I needed to be accountable. I’m not sure he completely gets it because he did ask why I can’t just drink moderately - but he did agree that he sees there’s a bigger problem here and he wants to help me get better. He drinks only on occasion and rarely at home, so luckily I am not faced with that difficulty. I dumped out the rest of the wine from the weekend. I really thought I could beat this on my own and he and my family would never really have to know the difference, but I know I need his full support and I’m glad I truly asked for it this time. I'm thinking about AA, but not sure I'm ready for that leap.

I think I’ll join the March class when it starts in a couple days. Starting over sucks, but I’m hopeful this time with more support and accountability from my husband, I can make a plan and make it work.

I’ll still check in with you, because I care about each of you and am truly proud of your successes.

I'm really proud of you too ForMeForThem. It seems like you have dealt with this slip really assertively and I'm sure you'll fly along in the March group, but you must stick around here and touch in. We all care so much about you.

I'm going to AA this week but I must admit to having mixed feelings. I really get what June says about it being 1930 male oriented! I need more meditation and touchy feely too.

Lovely to hear from you and so glad you're still with us.

S x

Sazzle 02-26-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Junebugapril (Post 3836664)
One more thing, I am very happy we are all still here!

I kind of hated the Big Book. I told Rochele about this in a private email. The Big Book is pretty Male-1930's oriented, and really turned me off. The steps still don't jive that well for me, but my sponsor got a new book and workbook for me that is much better. More touchy-feely, with meditations, and much more oriented for people that question spirituality.

The book is A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps: Stephanie S. Covington: 9780894869938: Amazon.com: Books

And there is a workbook that is pretty good too A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps Workbook: Stephanie S. Covington Ph.D.: 9781568385228: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for this June, it's just what I need. I've been struggling with my AA meetings and haven't been in ages.

Was beginning to wonder where you were!

S x

Sazzle 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

Sisterella ((hugs)) you're going through a lot with your sister just going into rehab. Perhaps it's bringing old feelings to the surface? I honestly think my emotions have been locked in my liver over the years and as it is cleansing I'm getting old feelings resurfacing. Is this a real thing or have I just made up a new concept (I doubt it!!)

Monday I was upset that an ex hadn't invited me to his birthday meal. As if he wants me around, reminding him of the past? It seemed like the end of the world to me at the time and I wanted a drink so badly to make myself happy/get in a different mindset.

I doubt that urge will ever disappear completely.

Keep going Novies, we are all looking out for each other.

S x

ForMeForThem 02-26-2013 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sisterella (Post 3837041)
Wow! Seems like we are all going through it. I logged on just now to beg you guys to send good thoughts and prayers my way. I am having one of those day that I am so anxious and upset and feel like such crap and I JUST WANT TO DRINK and FEEL BETTER. Then I realize I can't and burst into tears and start sobbing, which makes the whole thing worse {typing through tears}. I have felt so normal lately, and today it is like I'm back to square one. I'm NOT going to drink, but I'm am SO angry about not being able to because I just want to feel better. I'm hoping it's just hormonal.... I'm scared it's not.

Sisterella - sending those good thoughts and prayers your way. I know how you feel and I'm proud of you for being strong and not drinking. Tomorrow is a new day and I pray it will be a better one for you. Hang in there sista!

:Val004::angel:

ForMeForThem 02-26-2013 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragment. It's nice to hear it from people who know how hard it is, I never thought it would be this hard. I don't feel so proud of myself right now, I feel quite ashamed and disappointed. Sad too to have let my husband down. I've always been strong, holding it all together and now he sees I've been quietly falling apart. He knew more than I ever thought, but just didn't know how to deal with it(and here I thought I was so good at hiding it). It's good it's all out in the open, but shameful at the same time. He's being very supportive which makes me feel hopeful and like I have no choice but to do it right this time. Thanks again for the support - you guys are an inspiration.

and Junebug - thanks for the link to the book, I bought it on my Kindle this afternoon and will start it tonight. Glad you're doing well.

:thanks