SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/191954-class-january-2010-a.html)

PurpleAshes 01-17-2010 11:54 PM

My last drink was Jan. 1st at 2:30am. I told myself I was going to stop at midnight but... well, you know.. hah :S

Malcolms 01-19-2010 06:35 AM

Welcome Purple. And congratulations to everyone! I am at day 16 myself. Wow, it has gone fast.

I'll have to try this dry soda company. I do miss pairing wine with food. I have been drinking a lot of sour lemonade and cranberry punch, which seems to hit the spot.

InsideOut 01-19-2010 07:57 AM

Day 17 is almost over.....I feel like this is the rest of my life. I am having no cravings for alcohol.....it really feels good!!

Wallingford 01-19-2010 12:02 PM

Really had a hard day; woke up with a fever or something. Spent most of the day sleeping and I am still feeling tired. Didnīt even bother to think about alcohol :)

Malcolms 01-20-2010 09:32 AM

I'm on day 17 myself.

I'm starting to get some pressure from the AA folks to get a sponser. I'm feeling good, not drinking and liking the people I meet, but when I try to read the big book, think about steps, etc., I balk. And I can identify with the share's until they start to talk about spiritiual maladies. I can believe that I have a physical craving for alcohol, perhaps a mental or emotional disease that causes me to be unable to handle alcohol, and lord knows I've got character defects, so that isn't a problem for me. But a spiritual problem? This seems to cross a line.

Anyway, I guess I have to decide what I am going to do going forward, but I am starting to feel like I'm reaching a bit of a crossroads with AA. There is only so much longer I can just sort of go to meetings without really doing anything but sitting around before the people won't want me there anymore.

RacerX 01-20-2010 03:24 PM

Hi All,

First day for me in recovery. I gave my story in another thread in this forum if you care to read it. Anyways, I feel blessed to have this support group!

BJB 01-20-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolms (Post 2492189)
I'm on day 17 myself.

I'm starting to get some pressure from the AA folks to get a sponser. I'm feeling good, not drinking and liking the people I meet, but when I try to read the big book, think about steps, etc., I balk. And I can identify with the share's until they start to talk about spiritiual maladies. I can believe that I have a physical craving for alcohol, perhaps a mental or emotional disease that causes me to be unable to handle alcohol, and lord knows I've got character defects, so that isn't a problem for me. But a spiritual problem? This seems to cross a line.

Anyway, I guess I have to decide what I am going to do going forward, but I am starting to feel like I'm reaching a bit of a crossroads with AA. There is only so much longer I can just sort of go to meetings without really doing anything but sitting around before the people won't want me there anymore.

That was always my issue with AA as well. I just can't get into the spiritual side. I believe in something greater than myself... people, our collective energy and power. That's why I believe in this forum and blogging. Reaching out and being supported (or occassionally called out) by others has mad a massive difference in my sobriety. As a matter of fact, I almost broke yesterday were it not for the people around me telling me that, for people like me, there is no such thing as "one glass of wine."

AA works great for some and that's awesome. It just wasn't a place for me. My daily blog, this forum, and a handful of folks in my life seem to be doing the trick. Also, being open with my struggle when necessary helps a lot.

Don't let other people's (including AA) expectations keep you from your sobriety. If showing up to the meetings and doing what you are doing is working, then keep doing it. But if a sponsor isn't for you, then own it. I have a coach. She was actually my eating disorder coach but I'm revisiting her for alcoholism. In a way, I have a sponsor but she does not subscribe to the AA philosophy. There are definitely good things in AA but I encourage you to "take the parts that work and leave the rest." If you are getting too much pressure from the AA folks, tell them that. Again, do not let the wants and expectations of other keep you from your sobriety.

I'm happy to check in with you all again. The past two days have been very difficult for me. The cravings have been unbelievable. But I am happy to say that I didn't submit. I did end up eating a bunch of candy last night which is very out of character for me but it beats boozing. I don't want to replace one with the other (over eating for drinking) and I am being cognitive not to. But last night, I needed something to distract me or take the edge off. And candied orange slices and a funny movie did the trick. Tonight, I'm just opting for a movie.

Be well, my friends. And keep posting.

BJB

allaheadslow 01-20-2010 09:06 PM

Hello sober people!

I'm new to the SR board as well as, the idea that I can go through a day without drinking. Tonight is the end of my 3 day sober. I would love to be a part of the Jan group if that's how it works.

Blessing,

Krodos 01-20-2010 09:26 PM

Its just after midnight here so I'm on day 18.. wanted to check in and let it be known I am still keeping sober.

NewMe11109 01-20-2010 10:03 PM

Welcome RacerX and allaheadslow. Glad you are here. Welcome to the Jan 2010 group.

I am from the Jan 2009 group, so it is possible and it does get easier. Just focus on today and the days start to add up. Welcome!

intention 01-21-2010 04:14 AM

Hi Malcolms, you can carry on going to AA meetings without getting a sponsor. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

The reason why they are telling you it is important that you get a sponsor is because they have seen too many times what happens when people don't. When they just rely on will-power, it eventually fades and they go back to the bottle.

Malcolms 01-21-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by intention (Post 2492952)
Hi Malcolms, you can carry on going to AA meetings without getting a sponsor. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

The reason why they are telling you it is important that you get a sponsor is because they have seen too many times what happens when people don't. When they just rely on will-power, it eventually fades and they go back to the bottle.

And they are probably right. I spent too much time last night throwing a pity party for myself because I can't have a glass of wine or a beer. I reminded myself that I don't drink just one glass of wine, but mentally that is fading. Its only a matter of time until I convince myself its ok to drink moderately, my complete inability to do that successfully in the past will be forgotten.

I still don't buy this spiritual stuff, but I also don't believe I can do this on my own, so I'll find a sponser and do it their way. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work for me and I need to do something else, but I least I tried it. After all, even if the steps make no sense to me, obviously they have worked for lots of people, and I sure as heck haven't figured out how to stay sober on my own.

intention 01-21-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolms (Post 2493279)
And they are probably right. I spent too much time last night throwing a pity party for myself because I can't have a glass of wine or a beer. I reminded myself that I don't drink just one glass of wine, but mentally that is fading. Its only a matter of time until I convince myself its ok to drink moderately, my complete inability to do that successfully in the past will be forgotten.

I still don't buy this spiritual stuff, but I also don't believe I can do this on my own, so I'll find a sponser and do it their way. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work for me and I need to do something else, but I least I tried it. After all, even if the steps make no sense to me, obviously they have worked for lots of people, and I soure as heck haven't figured out how to stay sober on my own.

Hi Malcolms,

You have just said it all there!! You have nothing to lose. All you have to do is believe that it works for others and it can work for you.

You know your will power is starting to fade. Good luck on getting the sponsor and starting the steps.

tobascofred 01-21-2010 12:54 PM

Remember, guys...

...one day at a time.... and the best of luck to you all!

intention 01-21-2010 12:56 PM

Hi Tobascofred and welcome.

LimaCharlie 01-21-2010 04:36 PM

Hi everyone day 21 here. I don't really count days but it's easy to count from the first of Jan. I went on a trip out to see family and did not drink for the first time in years. It was pretty odd initially since that is such a big part of the socializing for us. But it was nice not being hungover the next day. Still feel like something was missing somehow but overall it went pretty well.

I don't really have cravings right now. My sleep is okay, difficult to fall asleep and tired in the mornings as a result. I feel bored sometimes with the extra time on my hands.

I've been working out much more consistently and noticing some nice results. Diet has improved a little too. I don't crave crappy food as much as when I was drinking.

I feel a bit sharper mentally which is very encouraging. That's always bothered me in the back of my mind that I'm slowly pickling my brain. My body is appreciating my new choices apparently.

allaheadslow 01-21-2010 05:08 PM

The mental acuity is amazing. I spoke to more customers today than I have in months. Thank the Lord for my sobriety ( I did numerous time today) and please allow me the strength to continue this journey. I am indeed powerless.

I won't drink today!

Blessings,

Klynn33 01-21-2010 05:13 PM

I like this thread :)

not a Jan starter....but I still can be. Just wanted to say hi - hope everyone here is well and

I WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully

:)

Malcolms 01-22-2010 07:56 AM

Come back any time Klynn. We'll be waiting for you.

RacerX 01-22-2010 08:05 AM

Day 3 for me and actually slept some last night. Still feel like a train hit me this morning (groggy) but feels SO GOOD to be sober.