SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/191954-class-january-2010-a.html)

ghostgirl 01-08-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 2481041)
Hi Everybody,

It's so good to see so much support and the positive vibe on this thread.

I'm glad you're all here and doing well!

Wendellgee, I also would stop for days or weeks at a time, but then start drinking again. It took awhile to figure it out, but I was sabotaging myself. I was more afraid of succeeding and what that would mean in my life, than I was of failing. Failing was comfortable. So...I had to convince myself that I deserved a good life.

anna, i thought that if i failed at something, it was because i could not get myself together and stop drinking. now that i'm back on the wagon, as they say, i'm scared that if i should fail at something, i have to say i'm doing it sober... it feels a bit scary; i know that its me, and not my drinking. i was reading one of the smart tools today that reminds me that no one is successfull all of the time... its irrational to expect that you should be.

anyway, i guess i just wanted to say that. :)

Malcolms 01-08-2010 06:16 PM

Wow, so many folks in January. I think this will help us all get through the weekend toghether. I know seeing all these people is helping me!

Krodos 01-08-2010 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone,

It's nearly midnight on a friday night where I do not have to work tommorow and I am sober! Reading the comments, the stories and seeing I am not doing this alone is very uplifting.

humblestudent 01-09-2010 12:01 AM

Can I join January? My last drink was on 12/26. I'm on day 14 today! I am marveling at how I am VOLUNTARILY sober on a Friday night, and not pissed about it. It feels good to feel good.

wichitalineman 01-09-2010 12:20 AM

I am in! My last drink was 12/18. I am just about to hit 14 days. Which is usually when the going starts to get tough, for me. 2 weeks I can usually do no problem, and then it gets hard. Everyone on this board is an inspiration to me, so thank you! It's awesome to not feel that I am doing it alone. :)

Congratulations to all!

CarolD 01-09-2010 01:16 AM

Well done everyone.......:cheer
Congratulations for seeking a healthy sober future!

Forward we go ... side by side
:grouphug:

Krodos 01-09-2010 04:38 AM

Saturday morning, and no hangover... Feels great!

Malcolms 01-09-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Krodos (Post 2481250)
Thanks everyone,

It's nearly midnight on a friday night where I do not have to work tommorow and I am sober! Reading the comments, the stories and seeing I am not doing this alone is very uplifting.

And I'm up at 8:30 on a Saturday. Usually, its more like noon, and my day is wasted.

Humblestudent, Wichita, welcome!

cinglenluvnit 01-09-2010 06:02 AM

welcome class of jan 2010....i am a newbie and part of the class of dec 2009.....it is nice to have fellow members who are in the same phase of becoming sober.....

humblestudent and wichitalineman- feel free to also join the december group.... you can never have too big of a support system in place to help

mmeat 01-09-2010 06:33 AM

Hey guys...another January 1 guy here. Count me in!! Its been going really well so far, but yesterday was a bit tough.

That inner voice was telling me I deserved a few beers to celebrate a week of no drinking. :c020: I was hoping to go at least a month before those feeling would hit. I went to a movie last night( The new Sherlok Holmes...AWESOME!...)...and debated the beer store throughout the film.

Eventually I said to myself " come on man.....at least prove to yourself you can go a month for gods sakes!!!" And I let it go :) Now it's Saturday morning...no groggyness..not cranky with kids or wife.....FEEL GREAT!!!!!!!! Even my sleep has improved so much it's amazing.

I used to wake up Saturday morning witha sore head and a horribly upsetstomach because I would just DUMP beers into my guts Fridays till I got the desired effect. Usually passout :(

Anyhow....lets keep going strong guys..this feels great!

Malcolms 01-09-2010 10:56 AM

Woke up feeling great, cleaned, went to a noon meeting, was feeling great about that, and then while walking home, passed my favorite convienence store for booze, and suddenly, had a powerful urge to buy booze. It was shocking how fast it came.

I called a number of a guy I met in AA and talked through it. We're going to have dinner tonight with his sponser, then go to a speaker meeting with the two of them and another old timer he knows. The feeling is gone, but I know that without SR and AA, right now I'd be drunk, so today I am greatful to him, and everyone here.

intention 01-09-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolms (Post 2481663)
I called a number of a guy I met in AA and talked through it.

Hi Malcolms,
That's great that you were able to reach out for help at that moment. One day at a time :)

wendellgee1985 01-09-2010 12:32 PM

Glad everyone is doing well ... Malcoms: what a great choice you made. Way to go! To those who commented about a hangover-free Saturday morning, I couldn't agree more. It felt great.

I'm doing alright with things thus far today. Today is my birthday, and I promised myself a sober one. So far so good. I went to a meeting this morning and the gym afterward. Can't wait to watch some football today and not have to worry about 1) what I am going to drink, 2) whether or not it will agree with my stomach, 3) whether or not I can stay awake through the games, 4) where I am going to drink, etc. ... you get the idea.

Malcolms 01-09-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by wendellgee1985 (Post 2481727)
Glad everyone is doing well ... Malcoms: what a great choice you made. Way to go! To those who commented about a hangover-free Saturday morning, I couldn't agree more. It felt great.

I'm doing alright with things thus far today. Today is my birthday, and I promised myself a sober one. So far so good. I went to a meeting this morning and the gym afterward. Can't wait to watch some football today and not have to worry about 1) what I am going to drink, 2) whether or not it will agree with my stomach, 3) whether or not I can stay awake through the games, 4) where I am going to drink, etc. ... you get the idea.

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the concern Intention. I do appreciate it.

Mmeat, welcome! And congrats on getting through the urge.

din 01-09-2010 05:38 PM

yeppers

count me in!
jan 4th my quit date
6 days sober today

Malcolms 01-09-2010 08:08 PM

Welcome Din!

intention 01-10-2010 06:59 AM

I've done a whole week. Day 8 today. :a122:

It's Sunday 3pm and I've cleaned house, ironed school uniform worn before the holidays (!), made soup, cooked a Sunday roast. That's a first for a long time. My son told me twice how much he loved his lunch.

Usually I've fed him junk by now to keep him quiet and I am drunk. Junk and drunk!

It feels great to be sober. Anyone else ??

Krodos 01-10-2010 07:24 AM

Me too! Its only 10am here, but I am usually badly hungover from Saturday night and drinking to feel better by now.

Last night I went out to pick up a few groceries at like 8pm, it was weird because I never go out that time of night cause I am always drunk by then.

wendellgee1985 01-10-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Krodos (Post 2482318)
Me too! Its only 10am here, but I am usually badly hungover from Saturday night and drinking to feel better by now.

Last night I went out to pick up a few groceries at like 8pm, it was weird because I never go out that time of night cause I am always drunk by then.

Yes - I, too, have done the Friday/Saturday night grocery run and it feels kind of strange. It's a good time to go because it's not so busy.

wendellgee1985 01-10-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by intention (Post 2482302)
I've done a whole week. Day 8 today. :a122:

It's Sunday 3pm and I've cleaned house, ironed school uniform worn before the holidays (!), made soup, cooked a Sunday roast. That's a first for a long time. My son told me twice how much he loved his lunch.

Usually I've fed him junk by now to keep him quiet and I am drunk. Junk and drunk!

It feels great to be sober. Anyone else ??

Awesome anecdote from today ... I agree, being sober feels good.