SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/191954-class-january-2010-a.html)

LimaCharlie 02-01-2010 07:40 AM

One Month Down today!

I definitely feel good about where I'm heading now and not drinking is becoming a little more normal each day. Triggers are the biggest struggle I've found. Conquer them and the rest is easy (well relatively speaking).

Anodyne 02-01-2010 07:48 AM

Hello again January class :grouphug:
Hope everyone is well today, welcome to Feb!

I wish I had more than 3 days today, but I can honestly say I've been sober from one month to the next, for two months in a row. (was sober the end of Dec, and the first 3+ weeks in Jan).

din 02-01-2010 08:07 AM

good morning all!

and great feb back atcha anodyne! (and all)

3 days is a great thing..........Its more than I had 30 days ago!!

All I know, is I choose Not to drink today!
and I'm VERY comfortable with that decision :)

Dean62 02-01-2010 03:23 PM

Hello to everyone in January thread. I'm in the work part of my week. I love working 12 hour shifts because my weekends alternate between 3 and 4 days off. This part of the week however I work and try to get enough sleep and that's about it.

9 days without booze or benzo's.

Malcolms 02-02-2010 10:45 AM

Hi everybody! I haven't been around much because my home computer died, and I've been doing AA, but I've still been reading and thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread. I have 30 days today....its not a long time in the course of a life but its a long time for someone like me to be sober.

So to all my fellow Jan 2010 quitters....we've made it this far. Lets keep going!

MariahG 02-02-2010 05:44 PM

I failed.

I would like to try again...Here we go round two.

DownInIt 02-02-2010 05:49 PM

looks like i'm part of the january group as well; not a drop of alcohol since 1/2/10 and very much enjoying life as a nondrinker. congrats to everyone else as well. take care all.

Artifical 02-03-2010 01:54 AM

Failed again, i dont think im really trying anymore. I just dont know how to handle it anymore. I think im getting stronger but really maybe im just getting weaker.

Dee74 02-03-2010 04:16 AM

I don't think it's weakness, A...it's addiction. It's by no means the same thing, but the fact that this is progressive means it's not going to get easier....

I'll post a list of recovery links in your other thread - you could do worse than to check them out :dunno:

D

Dean62 02-03-2010 04:25 AM

Oops, didn't have time to check in before work today.

Quick note about failure....you two did not fail, it's not over yet. Setbacks are can be frustrating but every day sober is a good day and they all count. I went to a treatment center and they told us only 30% of us would stay sober. I obviously wasn't one of them. The recovery rate for AA, treatment centers and any other form seems to be around 20% from everything I have ever read or been told. That obviously means 80% of don't make it on our first try, many never do.

Scary but true. Don't get down on yourself for being human. Find something you can add to what you are doing and get back in there. It can be done.

din 02-03-2010 07:11 AM

today sux

so, I have NO idea why........
ended yesterday in tears............started today the same way.
Am I just setting myself up for failure again, by even thinking I can do this?
Ya know, everybody wants the drunk to go away.........but NOBODY will say one DA*N word of encouragement.........

okay, screw worrying about down the road.......or what others do or don't offer......they didn't get me here, I did!

I will be plenty DA*N happy to end this day without a drink.

(and after all........I'm the only one I have to worry about keeping happy right?)

day 31~

Malcolms 02-03-2010 09:44 AM

Last time I tried to get sober I failed too. I even posted a thread here called failure (it was ugly). You can read it if you want, but it was a real low for me.

This time I have 31 days. Don't give up. Try again. Maybe figure out if you can do something different this time? Last time I tried on my own, and I made it 8 days. Today I'm doing AA, and I've made it 31. Its just my experience, but I don't think I'd could have done it on my own.

retread78 02-03-2010 10:45 AM

Jan 31st here. Back to the path of recovery after 9 years back out "doing research" (had almost 5 years when my addiction convinced me I could be "normal"). Took a while, but it finally ended in the inevitable and painful bottom again. Going to meetings again, and picking up the pieces, one day at a time.

-Drew

Anna 02-03-2010 10:52 AM

Artificial and Mariah, I'm sorry you both relapsed.

The only failure is if you stop trying. As Dee said, it's not about weakness, addiction is not a character defect. It's an illness.

Din,

I remember feeling exactly as you do. My husband and kids definitely wanted me to get better, but it was all on me and no help or encouragement from them. I really had to dig deep and believe that I was worth the effort I was putting into this. You are worth it and you can do it for yourself.

Retread,

I'm glad you found us.

Downinit,

Congratulations on your month sober.

MariahG 02-03-2010 04:45 PM

Thank you all for the caring comments.. It means a lot.

Krodos 02-04-2010 06:53 AM

Today is day 32.

This last weekend I had my worst craving that I can remember since quitting and felt myself almost give in and go and pick up some alcohol. Luckily I didn't and I am very glad that I resisted, but I felt that I was very close to ruining this great thing I have going on.

din 02-04-2010 09:10 AM

okay........I am soooooooo counting

so if we do the day gig, I'm at a balmy 32 days

If we do the month gig,
I'M ATONE MONTH THANK YOU GOD CLEAN AND SOBER!!!

yesterday tried to bust my chops.......was in just a fowl (and I do me stinkin thinkin mood)

So I gave in (geesh, really thought I had done that like 32 days ago)
and went to a meeting!

taking care of me, one day at a time

intention 02-04-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by din (Post 2506018)
So I gave in (geesh, really thought I had done that like 32 days ago)
and went to a meeting!

Was it your first?
How was it?

din 02-04-2010 11:09 AM

it was my first........
lil intimidating (and I'm really not the type to be intimidated) drove by the place first, thought screw it, you're a big girl...circle the block and go back.
didn't say a word till the end (they asked if I wanted to....I kept declining)

then go figure.....they said something or something was read..........and I had to bite my lip to keep from getting all Mush and Goo (forgot to tell the eyes they weren't allowed to tear up either)
so wth, shed a few tears..and bolted like a scared 7 year old at the end of the meeting

(okay, I'll admit, It helped me to shake the raunchy self loathing mood I arrived there in though)

time will tell, we'll see :)

Oh almost forgot, I got a nifty lil coin for my 30 days of He**

intention 02-04-2010 11:15 AM

Hi Din, Well done. It's Ok to cry in meetings. You keep going and you will also laugh there too. :)