SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of December-Part 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/177166-class-december-part-4-a.html)

Gypsy Feet 08-16-2009 01:42 PM

our thread got odd, and I have now idea what slammed is trippin on. I saw the bottle av but missed any controversy.

I am fortunate not to have "triggers" or strong reactions to much here.

My buddies room mate just moved out to rehab and a half way house. He is 28 but looks 17. I was using his room to change and on his nigthstand was a 1/2 empty jug of vodka sitting next to his anabuse pills, and it made me cry a bit.

I am busy, and tired and living la vida loco. I dont even get time to log on, I hope things slow down a bit soon!

Gypsy Feet 08-16-2009 06:51 PM

I love you too!!!

Hugs for you, and jess, and sus, and smackers, and phal, and charles, and dori if she ever comes back!

Just got back from a swim in the ocean, it was cold brrrrr. Now I'm going to bbq up some red meat with friends, wash it down with ice cream, and hope for some solid sleep tonight!

ExNavyInHouston 08-16-2009 07:23 PM

Sleep well Lisa.

Gypsy Feet 08-18-2009 06:35 AM

well, who ever it is I'd like to say p!ss off, go join your own class thread. If someone has a problem with what is said here, just put it out in the open for all of us to decide.

I love you Warren. Please don't think that you are the only one who feels they may monopolize the thread now and then. I know fairly intimate details about most of our December buddies, and that is because this is suppose to be a safe place to come share. I wonder if this same person has read phal's "goals" thread and takes issue with all the sexy bodies constantly posted and talked about there hahaha=) (p.s., if you haven't seen the half naked men and cheerleaders on THAT thread, it isworth a gander) :e124:

ExNavyInHouston 08-18-2009 07:49 AM

Warren - please do NOT stop talking about the accomplishments in your life. It's the positive input I get from all sources that encourage me to move forward in my own.

Some of my thoughts come from inside, but many more come from outside. Meeting you on here got me into a symphony hall, and possibly encouraged me to start my music lessons.

The fact someone would contact you directly and admonish you for describing your life, shows the weakness in their own character. Their skewed views about how others celebrate their life shows lack of positive development in their own.

My life is about travel, SCUBA, motorcycles, and handgun sports - it is becoming less and less about my troubles with sobriety. So when I discuss these aspects of my life I am very aware most people do not get to go to places like I do for pleasure, but I refuse to feel guilty about my discussing my life.

Part of my therapy has been me dealing with my guilt for reaching this point in my life where I do have some occupational freedom and the means to travel as I do. I come from an a very poor, humbling background and I don't brag about anything relating to these subjects. But I refuse to think I can't discuss my life in a respectful way. I always realize I am not too far away from having to say "Hi, Welcome to Walmart."

There are some people who hear the accomplishments of others and use those stories to inspire themselves, and those who turn those stories into something negative such as jealousy or see that person as bragging.

I see your accomplishments as inspiring.

You may have picked up I spent a huge portion of my life as a writer. I was a journalist, copy editor, newspaper editor, broadcaster and photographer for the Navy for 9 years. So you can imagine not a day passes that I don't think I have a book in me as well.

Life is all about being tested, this person comes from such a negative place inside themselves. They are looking outside at the world through the filter of blackness inside their own soul. Its this view that makes them use that distorted view to feel empowered to police the world.

Like a piece of wood on the highway, swerve, get back in the lane and continue on your journey.

Mariposa18 08-18-2009 08:21 AM

Warren~ I'm with Lisa and Charles on this one. If whomever it is doesn't like to hear good things about our lives, too bad. I have a lot more good in my life now, even when I'm feeling down I see that, so why not share it? If we only shared our pain this place would be mighty depressing! I missed the whole bottle thing as well, didn't even give that avatar a second thought. But like Lisa, my triggers aren't many anymore.

I enjoy hearing all the good that is happening to everyone, it makes me smile even when I'm down to see that my classmates are thriving. I think joy and pain are very closely related, a lot of times you don't have one without the other, but we should rejoice in every emotion, because we are FEELING not NUMBING!

Gypsy Feet 08-18-2009 07:00 PM

To our lurker: 2 of our classmates guessed who sent the nasty pms on the first guess. Do you get the significants? “When looking for faults use a mirror, not a telescope”.

as a side note, why the heck isn't my forum spell checking me :(

Dee74 08-18-2009 09:33 PM

If any member receives a PM which they believe does not meet SR guidelines, they can take it up with the person that sent it - although satisfaction is not guaranteed.

They can also discuss it with a moderator, via PM, or use the little red triangle to report it.

Or they can ignore it. Use the ignore function if your manual ignorer is broken.

Dealing with Troublesome Users

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

What if I see something offensive?

You will find 'Report' links in many places throughout the board. These links allow you to alert the board staff to anything which you find to be offensive, objectionable or illegal.
I think any of the above are the best options.
Posting about it on the board is not best use of the facilities IMO.

Lets remember what we're here for guys.

D

Gypsy Feet 08-19-2009 05:55 AM

only the second time you know of ! Hi Dee=) I'll behave now, carry on.

So if I haven't updated you on the crush, it was a bust. I really think I want to meet someone "in recovery", or who at least gets the idea of spiritual growth and such. I got totally over the crush as he was talking about all of his regrets in life, and how he wonders constant how his life may have been different "if". The housing situation is all over the place. Currently I am at one of my best buds house. His room mate is paid up til Sept, but left to go to rehab and then a half way house. I can't afford what he was paying, but if no one answers the craigs list add, I maybe can stay and throw him what cash I can=)

Gypsy Feet 08-19-2009 06:31 AM

And now we change the subject in respect for Dee and all those other hard working admins, lets talk about me!!!

Mariposa18 08-19-2009 09:34 AM

Thankful I had my coffee in hand while reading today's posts! lol Kidding, Kidding :e124:

Anna 08-19-2009 10:19 AM

I have removed several posts which are regarding other members.

Please, please read what Dee's post says and put someone on Ignore or PM that member, rather than posting about it on the board.