SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   The Gratitude List (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/)
-   -   Bedtime Gratitude Prayer (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/33499-bedtime-gratitude-prayer.html)

SlightFever1 01-12-2006 07:42 PM

Now I lay me down....

Now I lay me down to sleep.
My minty breath I pray to keep
Until I wake before the sun
For yet another sober run.

Twelve times round the track I’ll go
I’m fatter now, so I run slow
But faster than I did last year
When morning breath still smelled of beer

And Vodka from the night before
Liquor fumes from every pore
No one waking next to me
Sun’s still down, so I can’t see

The clock that screams beside the bed
Urging me to lift my head
To figure out what day it is
They beckon me. Plop. Plop. Fizz. Fizz.

Restless sleep and tortured dreams
I’d gotten used to them, it seems
Somnambulance, the shakes, the sweats
Tomorrow I’ll resolve those debts

Eleven empties in my Ford
One-pint Smirnoffs. BLUE, Oh Lord.
Hopefully that took a week
I doubt it, though. I’ll take a peek.

ATM receipts right here
Cash, cash, cash. It’s getting clear
Frosty, frozen, viscous vice
Nice, but not once worth the price

Though quite skilled whilst deep in drink
At least that’s what I used to think
I’m relieved that I eluded death
But how I missed this minty breath.

Hunker down and suffer through
Those first four days were over-due
Confronting all regret and sorrow
Could always wait until tomorrow

“Tomorrow? WHY?” I asked again.
“Now” is now. It will be “now” then.
The shakes, the sounds, the sights, the sweat
“You can’t make it!”
Wanna bet?

Now I lay me down to rest
I know that I have done my best
To shave a minute, add a mile
Still too fat, and yet I smile

I look ahead to getting thin
Around that gravel track I’ll spin
And preach to you my greatest hint…
I do so love this breath of mint

eddie z. 01-13-2006 04:05 PM

:c017:
SlightFever1,
and
WELCOME to SR!!
And to this thread.
That was a really cool poem.
Thank you again!!

Tonight I am grateful to have gotten a lot of errands run today. You know, those things you can't do when you work 9-5 M-F. It was really good to have a day off.

And grateful that my husband's home and in pretty good spirits. He tends to get testy on the weekends, but he's been OK since he got in last night. I hope it lasts.

Y'all have a great weekend!!
Love and hugs,
Eddie :brain

Richie 01-13-2006 04:12 PM

Hi Eddie,
I'm glad things are going so well at work for you.I have found that my work habits have greatly improved since I stopped going to work high. :18:
I've been walking every day except today,because today we were so busy I did not have the time.I actually did three miles Wednesday.I feel a lot better since I started walking.Also been working out with my dumb-bells at night.And eating less.
Hi Slightfever,welcome to the bedtime prayer thread(though we post here at any time of day).Eddie was nice enough to have started it.
Have a great weekend everyone.
And God bless.

eddie z. 01-13-2006 04:22 PM

That's fantastic, Richie!! I need to do the eating less thing, too...and quit smoking...but I think I'll work on just the exercise part for now. :ExeJump: :Squat:

Love and hugs,
Eddie :ushup:

Lbad 01-14-2006 07:49 AM

Hi Eddie,
I am grateful this morning for everything but especially the Big Book. It is a design for living and I like it A LOT!
I need to exercise too!!!
Sloth is a bad one for me. :)

eddie z. 01-14-2006 11:13 AM

Well, I'm off to our area's NA Unity Day here in a little bit. Hubby sort of guilt-tripped me into going earlier than I'd planned. So I've tanned, lifted weights, colored my hair, and I'm good to go.

L and Richie,
Did you see the poem at the top of this page? Read it. It's pretty cool.

Love and hugs,

eddie z. 01-15-2006 04:47 PM

This evening I'm grateful that I've been getting more workouts and harder workouts in. I think it's been almost 8 years since I REALLY exercised regularly, back before I hurt my back in '98. I seem to have pulled something in my left butt cheek, though, but it's not too bad. Maybe I'll actually lose some weight, who knows.

And I'm grateful for a nice pre-birthday afternoon in front of the fire watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose with my mom and husband. We had cake, popcorn, and candy, too. So much for losing weight. LOL. But seriously, it was a very pleasant afternoon. I don't even know when I last sat down and just watched a movie.

Hope everyone has a nice night and a good week!!
Love and hugs,

Richie 01-16-2006 04:25 PM

Hey Eddie,was Emily Rose good?I was thinking about getting it,but all of the horror movies I've gotten lately have been let downs.I got The Cave and it sucked.
I am grateful for the new bass I got yesterday.I always wanted a bass and this is the first one I've had. :nanarock
God bless and good night.

squirrelly77 01-17-2006 10:00 AM

:c009: Just thought I would make my school-started-and-work-keeps-me-away-from-the-computer-lab appearance. Hope all is well with everyone.
Eddie--I just rented Emily Rose too a few days ago. I thought it was okay (Richie). My sponsor said that I JUST HAD TO SEE IT cause she's sort of a "freaky deaky chick". Hard to describe. You know, that kind that is somewhat sensitive to the veil that they talk about that separates us from the other side. Her fiance claims that he's been attacked as well by unknown hands. It's a long discussion, and I used to be HUGE into paranormal phenomenon, but I've kinda changed my ideas about that stuff as I've gotten older. I think some people definitely are more tuned in wih the part of their brain that's linked with psychic activity and I think a majority of what appears to be happening from ghosts, spirits, etc is something that's actually psychosomatic.
But, like I said...that's a long discussion.
So...onto my gratitude for the day :)
I'm grateful for the ever-growing friendships with people in AA, i.e. Justin and Anna. They've opened my eyes a little more to certain things about the Big Book during a hard time. I'm grateful for the Rev Dave Lindsay who gave an awesome church service this past Sunday. I'm grateful for the new job I have at Max and Erma's and that I have a 12-Step program to deal with the not-so-nice people who think servers are slaves. Finally, I'm grateful that I started working such a program at a (fairly) young age when I still have a lot of life to live.

Take care, all. I'll drop by again sometime soon!!!

Danielle

nogard 01-17-2006 05:45 PM

Here goes.

I am grateful that I have such a beautiful daughter, she is 20 today
I am grateful to be alive and sober/clean
grateful SR is here
grateful that my health is ok.
grateful that my ex has remained a friend and we talk

Kevin

eddie z. 01-17-2006 08:25 PM

Good job, Kevin!! You beat me to it. I am on call and I kept getting paged. Then I actually had to go in to work for a bit. Now I'm back, but I need to go to bed soon.

Hey, Richie and Danielle!! I really liked Emily Rose. I've been thinking about watching it again. It's not exactly a horror movie, Richie, but it's still engrossing, I think. I love Laura Linney AND Tom Wilkinson.

I am grateful that all my critters are inside out of the wind and rain going on outside. It's pretty nasty out there.

And I'm grateful that nogard and Danielle have joined us here again. It's good to see you again, Danielle! Feeling any better, Kevin? I hope so.

Have a good night/day!!
Love and hugs,

nogard 01-18-2006 04:59 AM

Thanks eddie and yes feeling heaps better.

Grateful for a wonderful evening with Chloe to celebrate her 20th birthhday

Off to bed now, G'Night.

Kevin

eddie z. 01-18-2006 05:01 AM

You're always welcome, of course. Glad you had a nice time. I'm off to work myself. Sleep tight, Kevin!!

Love and hugs,

Richie 01-18-2006 04:28 PM

Hi Eddie,Danielle,and Kevin,
I was trying to write this an hour ago and the lights went out.We are having some of that same bad weather you got,Eddie.
So tonight I am grateful that the lights came back on.Also for the e-mail I got today from my friend Oskar in Iceland who I hadn't heard from in five years.
I guess I'll check out Emily Rose,Eddie.
Have a great night everyone.
God bless.
:e044:

nogard 01-18-2006 08:14 PM

Thanks eddie :)

Hi Richie

Grateful for the lovely peaceful day I am having before I head back into the job search tomorrow.

Kevin

toniapoland 01-20-2006 07:00 AM

I'm grateful to be ALIVE and sober today. And grateful for my healthy family..And I'm grateful for a power greater than myself.....

nogard 01-20-2006 01:42 PM

Grateful for 8 months sober today

Grateful that my dogs, my house and myelf are all ok after last night when a storm tossed 100 ft trees around like matchsticks

Kevin

Richie 01-20-2006 04:18 PM

Congratulations,Kevin!And I'm glad the storm didn't blow you away.
Welcome to the thread,Tonia.
Hi Eddie and Danielle.
I have an awful lot to be grateful for.I am glad God does not give up on me even though I bitch and moan and complain all the time over stupid little things. :crypig
Have a great weekend everyone.I hope Sherry is doing okay in Florida.
God bless.

squirrelly77 01-21-2006 10:50 AM

Hello all old and new friends on the Bedtime Thread.
I forgot who Richie made this comment to on here, but it's true that we pretty much post on here any time of day. Me...case and point! :)
Anyways...
I hope that Sherry's doing okay in Florida too. After the nice 5-inch snow storm last night, I'm pretty envious! Spring Break is about a month and 1/2 away, and I remember going to Florida all the time. Sigh. That was before I knew of such things as bills, job responsibilities, and all the other fun stuff of being an adult!
How's your job going, Eddie? I really like the place I started working, and it's been sorta giving me ideas--something along the lines of doing a total 180 and going into something like Hotel/Restaurant Management permanently. Last semester at school, I totally busted arse and I still didn't manage to make the grade I needed in my Chemistry class--I was off by a few points. :c002: Like someone I really admire said one time: "...when you're doing God's will, everything seems to fall in place and it's like the Universe is in step with you".
We'll see. It's all about the journey, right???
So, I'm grateful that I've been getting messages in recovery that really help with making decisions about my life. I'm grateful that I'm able to step back from situations that used to baffle me and find a solutions that really work (imagine that!). I'm grateful that I have my health, sanity (for the most part), and good friends to share my life with today!

Take care!

Danielle

eddie z. 01-21-2006 12:28 PM

Hey, Richie, Danielle, and Kevin!!

WELCOME to the thread, Tonia!! Thank you for posting here and sharing with us!! Oh, and WELCOME to SR, too!!

I am grateful that I am getting in somewhat better shape physically. I have been working out harder than I have since before I hurt my back, which was in April of '98! I'm truly glad to be all sweaty and nasty on a regular basis again. LOL.

And grateful for the opportunity to catch up on some things this weekend since I'm not working and we don't have company. Now I just need to get my as* in gear and get those things done!

Hope all are having a great weekend!!
Love and hugs,