SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Diary of a Mad Cow, Part III - Beware all ye who enter! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/325641-diary-mad-cow-part-iii-beware-all-ye-who-enter.html)

Cow 04-16-2014 11:41 PM

Oh Toddles, my heart too has been carve from chest, by my long term love, who plop it on floor, and watch it bleed out. One never fully recover from this, just like I never recover from my momma dying. Is SHOCK to systems and sensibilities. Is not to say we not ever gonna love again or find better relationship. But for now, maybe we feel faithless, hopeless, loveless ... ... but we still here. Mens or no mens, moms or no moms, is still experiences out there worth hasing, and I think we should never gives up to seek them, yes?

toddle118 04-17-2014 12:06 AM

there must be another way, im sorry for your troubles, i feel so angry and sad i want to go and fight someone, we cant do that, your mum is in heaven now, i do have faith, and shes asleep, in peace, she is x

dSober 04-17-2014 03:02 AM

Good Morning all.

Found this on Wikipedia:

"Dust in the Wind" was one of Kansas' first acoustic tracks; its slow melancholy melody and philosophical lyrics differ from their other hits such as "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Point of Know Return". A meditation on mortality and the inevitability of death, the lyrical theme bears a striking resemblance to the well-known biblical passage Genesis 3:19 ("...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."), as well as to the famous opening lines of the Japanese war epic The Tale of the Heike ("...the mighty fall at last, and they are as dust before the wind."), but the actual inspiration was from a book of Native American poetry, which includes the line "for all we are is dust in the wind."[2] Also, the 1973 song "Karn Evil 9 (3rd Impression)" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer has repeated 'dust' and 'wind' themes, and uses exactly the same phrase "dust in the wind".

I take this song not as depressing at all. I take it as an acceptance of my mortality. As a tool to help me with my humility. I believe humility is key to accepting a Higher Power; something I need to survive... and thrive.

I use to think I was always the smartest person in the room too cow. I started to come out of it in college. I REALLY came out of it during my 23 year stint designing hardware, software and managing other folks who did at Bell Laboratories here in NJ. I found there are a LOT of people who are a LOT smarter than me. I gravitated towards some of the smarter ones and many of them towards me.

I learned a lot from all of them. Not enough to save me from the torture I put myself and family through the last few years but I accept I'm just dust now better than before. I've started recontacting my old friends and am finding we're pretty much picking up (no pun intended) right where we left off. They had nothing to do with my getting sidetracked in life so::c006:

Robby, coincidentally (maybe?) I just saw "your movie" a few days ago when it came on broadcast TV. One of my favorites from waaaay back. Yep, gotta watch out for those creatures from the id; scary suckers!

dSober 04-17-2014 03:09 AM

Oops almost forgot. I don't think I've shamelessly plugged "my thread" here yet so here goes:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...where-god.html

RobbyRobot 04-17-2014 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cow (Post 4596281)
Robot. I no believe human is ALL free will and choice. DNA and nurture is huge sometime insurmountable programming. Human way less self directed than we think we is. Yes, unlike Windows Millennium, we can strive to overcome our crap programmings. And we does has free will to strive. But it very, very difficult. As far as addiction and happiness, I think it largely matter of brain chemistry and those with f*ck up brain chemistry is obvious gonna has a hella lot more flawed programming to debug and overcome. It not matter of just choosing 'happiness' or 'sobriety' like choosing between Pepsi or Coke. Which, by the way, Pepsi total more delicious.

What?! C'mon..Coke drinkers rulez while Pepsi (insert nice word here) drools... and besides, Pepsi is totally sweetened for girlz always anyways, yeah? lol. Now we can have hot topic of useless gender wars!! Awesome. :)

I'm not sure free will is difficult in itself to own and practice in our lives. I do think more often than not individuals sign onto herd mentality and eschew their inherited rights to empowerment, and herein lies a serious challenge to later exercise their free choice muscles, if you will. Responsibility comes hand-in-hand along with all the options of implementing free choices. Life teaches us we can't have everything we want when we want it, although we can attempt to bypass these limits by changing out the game rules to suit our own purposes. Addicted persons are adept at such tactics as moving the goal posts to suit our own heady glorified purposes. Intoxication is a ready playground for such games, goes without saying. Alcohol and drugs are abused for effect, and nothing but effect. With enough abuse, escape into that intoxicated world becomes certain, and now fantasy can come play too and from here the rule playbook goes out the window. When we live in our heads we run the show for better or worse its on us thereafter. This always brings epic failure eventually since the world is much too big to fit into any ones own headspace...

I think happiness and sadness exists philosophically and not just within the chemical soup of our hardwired brains. I'm agnostic in my appreciation of the spirit limits of human individuals.

Besides all that whatever above, you is totally awesome Cow.

SoberLeigh 04-17-2014 06:20 AM

Wow; I missed so much by going to sleep "early" last night - been battling a few viruses going around "these parts"; totally draining.

Lots of emotions, opinions, beliefs, and expressions of experiences to absorb here. Cow and Friends of Cow are deep thinkers, highly perceptive and very brainiacky. I am in awe of al of you.

Managing and resolving our respective "realities" is a complex process; our addictions only further complicate those realities. I am thankful we have each other to help us work through the processes.

dSober 04-17-2014 06:31 AM

Good luck with the viruses SoberLeigh. My daughter just got over one. I'm too old and toughened to be bothered by them much anymore although I guess that'll change someday, lol.

SoberLeigh 04-17-2014 06:42 AM

Thanks, dSober. Whenever it gets to my lungs, I am tipped over the edge and become fatigued so easily.

Have a strong and beautiful day.

courage2 04-17-2014 06:46 AM

I missed a lot too, SL, but that's just as well, because my contributions to inquiries about god & meaning are generally nil or obnoxious. I can't do the spiritual or even much on the mental plane these days but I'm very interested in how people live.

Cow, do you eat breakfast? What? I have breakfast phases: I did 1/4 of a hard roll toasted with peanut butter for a while, then hummus and 1/4 pita, now 2 TBS of plain yogurt with some Kashi cereal. I won't tell you the intoxicating substances I used to enable me to stomach anything at all, as that will just trigger everyone.

I'm also interested in how people dress. Most people in Manhattan dress like schlubs. Some dress very well indeed. Some dress very very expensively, but very badly. I'd like people to wear uniforms more than they do.

Two more things: I have a disgusting, oozing, highly contagious, and painful eye infection. I look like Quasimodo on a bad day and feel like a highly sensitive leper. Also, I don't drink soda because the fizzies overwhelm me, but I used to be an RC person. Does that make me Switzerland in the gender/soda wars, or a hermaphrodite?

dSober 04-17-2014 07:03 AM

Just sent you a PM regarding NYC courage.

:c014:

SoberLeigh 04-17-2014 07:05 AM

I am a casual dresser (but not slobby) but I do dress-up a bit for things like a nice restaurant, church, or the theatre. I am kind of a Chico's girl and like a little bit of funk and, sometimes, glitz, but always in a casual way. Although I did muster "formality" for my children's weddings, I usually feel out of place while attending black- tie events; I guess it is my aversion to "plastic".

dSober 04-17-2014 07:08 AM

P.S. Is White Rock soda still around? Drank it a lot as a kid but haven't seen it since then.

dSober 04-17-2014 07:13 AM

I'm with you SL; I hate wearing ties and really prefer sandals or sneakers on my hooves (that was for Cow :rotate:).

Cow 04-17-2014 07:33 AM

dsober, I not REALLY believe I smartest cow in room. I just aware that I think that. Yes, I just go infinite regress on you ass.

Robot, I think free will conversation, while always fascinating to Cow, is much like spiritual navel gazing --is kind of luxury of luck of where we happens to be in time and station. If we was everyday hunting for food to survive or fighting off enemy or try to protect our offsprings from get eaten, we not be so ponderous about these things.

Snarkbunny ... ... I eats raw steak for breakfast. Shhhhhhh! I know! But with the alcoholic hypoglycemia, I has to eat substantial meal in morning. I total dresses like schlub, cheap sweats, everyday, not care at all about grooming. Would LOVE if human race just agree on comfy uniform. Think of how much monies would be save and how much self esteems from thinking you has to have style and different outfit everyday. Is coolest thing about animal, they not spend all this time and billions on textiles and potions and fake hair and procedure to look other than they look!

courage2 04-17-2014 07:53 AM

Really? Raw steak? I'm intrigued. What cut, how much, and just plain like tearing at it with your teeth, or how?

I want different uniforms so I can tell from a distance what to expect from someone. The problem in the city is that you actually come in contact, close physical proximity, with many, many people every day. Some way to sort people would be helpful for those of us with limited mental capacity. However, each individual's sorting rule would be different, requiring different uniforms for the eye of each beholder. So unless this universe is all my mental construct (which given the way things are going would indicate I'm more screwed up than I think I am), 'tis not to be.

RobbyRobot 04-17-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cow (Post 4596952)
Robot, I think free will conversation, while always fascinating to Cow, is much like spiritual navel gazing --is kind of luxury of luck of where we happens to be in time and station. If we was everyday hunting for food to survive or fighting off enemy or try to protect our offsprings from get eaten, we not be so ponderous about these things.

Yes, I'm not into spiritual navel gazing either so we're on the same page there. Still though, back to talking about recovery from drinking requires choices be made, and these made choices require real time exercise of our free will, otherwise just robotic Borg thing happens and recovery is shelved.

Spiritual awareness is not required for successful lifelong abstinence. Present awareness of our addiction imposed limitations and responsibilities though is a requirement for empowering a sustained recovery from such limitations. Nothing changes if nothing changes...

Its better if we have a conversation re: addiction realities then if we get all philosophic about free will in spiritualism. I'm not selling anything here, and I realize the (relative) depth of your anhedonia as best I can, Cow. I think people can choose to go into stealth mode and smoke 'n mirror themselves into a toleration of miserable comfort as long as the addiction is kept fed, no?

Olive1 04-17-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by courage2 (Post 4596859)

I'm also interested in how people dress. Most people in Manhattan dress like schlubs. Some dress very well indeed. Some dress very very expensively, but very badly. I'd like people to wear uniforms more than they do.

Two more things: I have a disgusting, oozing, highly contagious, and painful eye infection. I look like Quasimodo on a bad day and feel like a highly sensitive leper. Also, I don't drink soda because the fizzies overwhelm me, but I used to be an RC person. Does that make me Switzerland in the gender/soda wars, or a hermaphrodite?

I dress in black. Always. It is just easier that way.

RC used to be a special treat for us. Loved the way it tasted. We were Shasta people. :)

Hope your eye feels better soon!
:)

SoberLeigh 04-17-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Olive1 (Post 4597022)
I dress in black. Always. It is just easier that way.

RC used to be a special treat for us. Loved the way it tasted. We were Shasta people. :)

Hope your eye feels better soon!
:)

I wear an abundance of black also, Olive, but sometimes I like to funk the ebony up a bit with some turquoise jewelry or bright chunky/slouchy sweater of some sort.

dSober 04-17-2014 08:54 AM

OK olive, SL, which one of you is really Johnny Cash?

:c029:

SoberLeigh 04-17-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 4597094)
OK olive, SL, which one of you is really Johnny Cash?

:c029:

We'll never tell, will we Olive?!