View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
MisterA, this gave me a massive flashback:
i walked into the local meat market to get some milk and meats and stuff. seriously looking forward to a steak dinner and that WAS all that was on my mind.
then i walked by the beer cooler and without thinkin about it, looked in. there was ice cold budweiser. my mind went bonkers. scared the crap out of me.
i grabbed the milk and was out the door without getting any steak.
it bothered me quite a bit, but a talk with a friend- someone sober a long time- said its common. it happens.
the progress was i didnt allow that thought to control my actions.

i will say this
even now I’m thinking “shoulda got the big bottle...”
is a little concerning.
have you decided youre done drinking for good?
have you become willing to do anything necessary to start recovery? working a plan/program?
I had a similar experience in early sobriety that I shared with the Class of January 2013 . Speaking of which you might want to look up your class Mr A, you will get a LOT of support from others who are right where you are at
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-4-a-10.html (Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 4)

I was a few weeks in and I went to the convenience store to get a pack of cigarettes. Before I knew it I was standing in front of the beer fridge. No idea how I ended up there but it scared the pants out of me at the time and I paid for my smokes and left really fast.