Thread: Extended Abuse
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Spacegoat

Question Extended Abuse

Yo! It's a bit quiet in here recently and all around the forum (I must be in the bad books) but I am going to post this here anyway. There is a lot happening in my life that I need some help with.

I've been rambling on a little in another thead. It is what I do best, but there is an element to my rambling's that I would like to discuss and learn a bit about with you guy's here in more detail.

Said thread:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5446176. Some of the posts are specific to insomnia, others are about what I am trying to figure out.

Basically, as I said in there, the person I am living with now is only 1 degree of separation from the lifetime of abuse and suffering I have endured. If even that. She shares many of the more subtle characteristics which were abusive for me and not surprisingly also, as she is my father's sister and agrees with him on most things. (both of my parents were abusive in their own ways and in quite extreme ways). She has also made a lot of excuse's for my father's more extreme behaviors over the years and basically has never recognized or accepted any of it as unnacaptable and serious abuse even though she could never or I presume wouldn't dare to argue that point with anyone. It's her own ignorance and refusal to accept this truth by virtue of the fact that she despises my mother. In other words, it doesn't matter to her what my father did to us, it was all my mothers fault in her opinion. While there is a correlation between their dysfunctional relationship and his extremely violent and abusive behavior towards us for example, neither one excuse's the other as it equates to serious forms of abuse against minors (their own kids) basically. I'm right about that much yes? Anyway, I don't have all the answer's it is just a question. Is what I am living with here now today an extended form of the abuse? It's very similar to some of it in ways. Nowhere near as extreme, but I believe mostly because of the mega fuss that has surrounded all of our familial stuff. (restraining orders, barring orders, arrests, bloodbaths etc where she was my fathers advocate in all of it and tried to mediate for him and on his behalf). Certainly it is no great distance from all of the said abuse, I do know that much. Thanks.

Disclaimer: My parents were not alcoholics in any commonly understood sense of the word. They drank a lot when I was younger and there were problems. I believe they made a conscious decision to drink rarely when we moved back here (my mother was wanted for questioning in the UK at that time for larceny and probably fraud also, again I was involved). On the occasions they did drink there were heated and mysterious arguments, and also a number of crazy incidents. E.g my father threw a vase at our tv once after a night out for them, another time he ripped every door of its hinges in the house. But I wasn't directly involved in those incidents nor was I the target. So, whateverest. Most of the time when they drank it was as good as life got with them. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rcissists.html