Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Lyoness
Night owl

Originally Posted by embracestruggle View Post
Another night sober, and I'm back here on SR with you fine folk once again. It feels so strange to have started this non-drinking journey on the weekend before New Years when everyone else is bucking up for the party.

When I was getting off work, being in that darkly lit bar, the music going, and my friends laughing over drinks. . .I wanted so badly to get social and join in for 'just a glass of wine'. But I know what that glass of wine will do .. I will either feel bad for giving in to the one glass of wine and be mad at myself, or say 'eff it, I already drank' and go nuts for the rest of the night. It was a lose/lose. I walked out of that bar and drove myself safely home for the second night in a row.

Then I arrived home, where my compadres were drinking. No longer the romanticized setting of the bar, but still tempting in that it's free drinks in the comfort of my home with friends. Same setting..same people I was hiding my debaucherous ways from a few days ago when I wrote my initial post. I packed my bags and left to spend the night somewhere else.

I am so appreciative of myself for those series of choices I made today. Only two days. But at the same time. . . TWO DAYS! I know a lot of you newcomers can relate with not being able to imagine going two days, a week, a month, a YEAR! It seems impossible!!! But seeing yourself make the baby steps is empowering. And if you ever want to make that mile you have to start with those baby steps. I got twooooo on it!

I truly appreciate the feedback I have been getting from the website. I think I am going to surf around tonight and exercise some of these 'Key Methods' coldfusion so graciously shared with me! Still too nervous to go to AA...
Way to go embracestruggle! You're inspiring so many with this. Keep it up!