View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
Girl, I don't know the laws in AZ, but in MI they better ******* help my kids. They're public schools and are required by law to provide an education to every child.

I would check out the law. You may need an advocate to help you. I did.
I spoke to a public school special ed. counselor and she told me that his issues are difficult even for the public school. She told me he'd be in special ed. but that he might not keep up in all subjects because of the way he processes information. She told me that he'd most likely be bullied, as well. I also consulted with a friend who is a 'teacher's coach', she goes around the schools in our district and works with teachers helping them come up with plans for special ed kids or for kids with disabilities. She told me the same thing, she said that AZ sucks for getting help to kids. She told me there's a lot of red tape and that private help would be best for him.

Honestly, I don't know what to do. His IQ was sooooo low. He can read at grade level but his comprehension was years behind. His spelling was at college level but he can't decipher how to 'think' through problems. It's like his brain gets stuck and just can't move forward. Anyway, I have a lot of work to do this year when it comes to his schooling. Throw in my a** of a husband and I've got quite a year coming for me, LOL!