Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Harambulus View Post
Could ppl recommend a daily regimen for my AVRT practice?
Once you get the mechanics down, you don't really need to practice too much, although it may take a bit of time to consolidate the ideas in your thinking. AVRT is more like a seed, that once implanted, seems to grow on its own. You'll soon start to notice all the variations of the Addictive Voice in your own thinking, and quite possibly in the thinking of others. The action exercise on Page 151 suggests tracking Beast activity in a journal, which might help speed things along, though.

For now, finish reading the book, and don't skip over the "action" exercises, or go back to them after reading. They are there to help you cement the separation between you and the Beast. Spend some extra time on Addiction Diction (Page 152), The Felt Presence (Page 182), The Addicto-Depressive Condition (Page 184), Relapse Anxiety (Page 188), Shifting (Page 202), Aggressive Listening (Page 205), and Attack Your Beast (Page 206).

Print out the AVRT Matrix that was posted further up in this thread and spend some time on that as well. It is an updated version of the "Relapse Anxiety Grid" on Page 190, and is useful for the shifting exercises. What I did was to tape a copy at the bottom of page 147, at the end of the section on "The Big Plan," which has plenty of space, and another copy on the inside of the front cover.

The "Functions of the Addictive Voice" list is also worth printing out, but I recommend reading through this whole thread, since there are tips scattered throughout.

1. AVRT Matrix —

2. Functions of the Addictive Voice —

3. Another Function of the AV —