View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GettingBy

oh and he didn't chase me with a meat cleaver...he was too drunk to even stand up straight..... just thought i would clarify that!
So which is true? Because on this post you said...http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...8-finally.html

well i did it....i finally did it! i left him my AH went absoltely beserk the other night, weilding a meat clever at me, punching holes in the bedroom door, breaking dishes, kicking the dog, and mouthing some of the most disgusting obscenities i've ever heard. i called the police.
This man IS dangerous. Very dangerous.

I *get* - I do. I have been where you are. I am married to an alcoholic who has shown me that he has the capacity to get angry and violent. He has been abusive to me - physically, emotionally, and verbally. Facing *that* truth has been the hardest thing for me to do. Living with and loving him distorted MY sense of reality. My ability to set boundaries and protect myself from unhealthy behavior. My self-esteem suffered immensely.

I needed help. For me - that help comes from Al-anon (because the people there *get* it - they've walked my road and can share what worked for them!), an Al-anon Sponsor and a counselor who specializes in addiction.

I never realized how dysfunctional I had become - until I saw/heard from people in Al-anon. I saw the peace on their faces. Their smiles and laughter. I wanted *that*. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired... and when I had truly had enough of my miserable existance - I was willing to do whatever it took to get better.

When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired... give Al-anon a try. What have you got to lose?