Old 05-08-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Since I started the program, I find myself saying "no" a lot more.

I am a model. I have people always asking me, how do I get into modeling, can you send me links to all the websites you're on, can you set me up on Model Mayhem, etc etc. I used to say yes and go overboard with information. Not anymore. Now I take the attitude that, these people can find out all that stuff themselves. My time is too valuable to give out free advice to people who are perfectly capable of doing all the same research I did.

I have 1 friend in particular who just takes takes takes and never gives. I have sent work to her-referred her to photographers-she hasn't done the same for me. When I talk about a particular resource, she always wants me to send her a list of all my marketing efforts.

I think, doing something for someone who can do it themselves, can even operate on a minor level like that, and I have to watch out for it. If I were to spend all my time helping others get into modeling, I'd have no time for shoots and I'd probably not be able to pay my bills anymore.

So I am mindful of that now.

I'm contrasting that to, today, I am going to my friend's house to help her pack up the belongings of her roommate who passed away and give them to goodwill. In this case, I'm simply doing what a friend should do and providing support and assistance during a difficult time.

2 totally different things, in my book. One involves parasitic people who want to exploit me (albeit on a minor level), the other is a friend in need of help during a difficult time.

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
You are describing my mom.

On to this day when she is 60 she is still asking me for help to get an apartment. As if she couldn't call the real estate office herself.

And many other things she could do herself... but why do them if others can keep solving her life?

Very very sad and frustrating, this codependency...