Thread: Separating?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I don't think that in most States, anymore, there is any advantage to filing on fault-based grounds.

What's the point, if it doesn't get you anything? All it does is jab at the other person for the sake of jabbing. Not to mention, you are guaranteeing yourself an expensive court battle.

I think no-fault divorce is a blessing.
In NH fault based divorce is a factor in paying back money (compensatory damages or something like that), custody (if the parent is proven not to be safe ie: habitual drunkeness)... I always wanted, if I got to the point of divorce, to be able to do it as amicably as possible. But to do that presumes that you are working with someone who has the same goal in mind. In the case of my AH that's not the case. So, if I file, unless he gets abducted by aliens and changes remarkably, it will be under a fault based reason simply to protect myself and my kids.

AH has stolen thousands of dollars over the years and I have in writing from him that he intends to pay it back. If filing with a fault reason will make that happen (so the girls can have some savings, so I can lessen our debt etc..) that's what I intend to do.