View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EanDubh

Originally Posted by Maggi View Post
Hey guys, totally innocent question here. Does "staying sober" mean not having had even one drink? Or maybe drinking a little, but not getting *drunk*? I always took it to mean not having had even one drink, but sometimes I see posts that say "I've been sober for 5 years with 98% success" or something....Just confused on the exact definition.

Either way, tomorrow will be a week sober and I do not feel that I could have handled "just one" at anytime during this week. Coming to terms with the fact that I probably can never again do the "just one" thing. I don't want to accept it, but I think I have to.

Blargh.
I think for most people here it's about living a life completely free from drugs and alcohol. Recently for me, after about 15 days of not drinking at all, I started moderating-- having a couple of beers (worked for awhile) but it wasn't long before I was back where I started with wine and liquor over the course of the evening. It seems I've been in a three year cycle of moderating and sobering. The worst always comes when I find myself trying to "drink off" a hangover-- I scale back-- and it's always worse the next time.

I understand where you are. My pride tells me that I could moderate with some discipline.... but the fact remains that I am a disciplined, hard-working person in every aspect of my life except alcohol.

I know people who have done it. My friend struggled with alcohol for a long time-- and now for the last two years he is able to moderate-- but refuses to drink anything but light beer with food. Everybody is different-- but do keep in mind I don't think many of the regulars here are using moderation management.