View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Pajarito View Post
Genius.

Lately, ago, your contributions to this forum have really been insightful and full of so much wisdom. Thank you.
Thank You so much, that means a lot to me

When I got here a few months ago I was as "sick" as I ever have been in my life, you guys were a very large part of my "re-covering" in this case, returning to recovery, so the thanks belongs to you all here, it really does, I just repeat stuff I hear in meetings and learn through reading really, hopefully a little of it "sticks" enough to "integrate" it into my own life.

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post

Interesting where we find the words of wisdom that are life changing for us, I found one while reading Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. Filled with wizards and wise elves yet ordinary 'mortals' too, a few lines between two characters (hobbit and wizard) jumped out at me;

'' 'I wish --- had never come to me, I wish none of this had happened'.
'So do all who face such times, but that is not for them to decide. All that is left to them is what to do with the time that was given them' ''

It hit me like a ton of bricks, all my life I had heard myself say that line, 'I wish this had never happened', but never had I heard such a response to it. Even now, when I hear that thought pop into my mind, Tolkien comes back at me with his wisdom.

Can we make plans? Yes - life is about hopes and dreams, yet also balanced with patient acceptance, humility and forgiveness. I plan and dream all the time, yet I am now much more accepting that if things don't go my way, it is still alright. Every time I face disappointment or when my emotions are stirred, it highlights for me an obstacle I have to my own inner peace. Perhaps I need to develop more patience, love or compassion - these things I have found counter balance any anger frustration and hurt.
Oh My

I just posted this very thing recently, the interchange between Frodo and Gandalf is something I've watched over and over and over

YouTube - The Lord Of The Rings.The Fellowship of the Ring (part 14)

it starts at 3:55 roughly and continues until 6:10

Gandalfs love and compassion for Gollum (victim of addiction, who both loves and hates "the ring" as he loves and hates himself) and Frodo both (also dealing with his own issues around "addiction" since he know "has this thing") and non judgmental approach makes me cry ("many who live deserve death and many who die deserve life, can you give that to them? do not be so eager to deal out death and judgment, even the very wise cannot see all ends"), and telling Frodo that he was "meant to find the ring" so there are forces in this world besides evil....just the whole scene brings me to my knees.

Peter really nailed this bit