SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 28 - 31 January 2022 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/457394-what-i-ve-become-after-booze-weekenders-28-31-january-2022-a.html)

Chancellor 01-28-2022 04:10 AM

Day 27 and here for weekend #4 for me. I like who I am much better sober. I can handle stress a touch better and I am much clearer in my head rather than bogged with fogged. A main reason for me to quit alcohol is that it affects my dexterity when I play my bass guitar. It has been so nice to have 27 days where I am able to play what I am intending to play and not have alcohol a reason that I can perform something on my instrument.
Happy Weekend Everyone.

fishkiller 01-28-2022 04:23 AM

One thing I have become since giving up the booze is dependable, reliable, someone who can be called upon any time day or night.

As a drunk everyone knew if it was after 12pm I may or may not be able to leave the house.
As a drunk I made promises I may or may not keep. Mostly not if I even remembered making them.

Such a great feeling to be called upon in someone's time of need and being able to be there for them. Makes the struggle worth it.

Robbie64 01-28-2022 04:30 AM

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for a sober weekend.

Reid82 01-28-2022 07:12 AM

Thanks Mags, I'm in for this weekend.

calmself 01-28-2022 08:19 AM

Hello weekenders!!

Day 76 starts! GM from freezing Seattle. Today my goal is to slowly wrap up meetings by noon, finish work by 3 pm and just relax.

After all the interview prep last weekend and early this week, I am taking time to cool off.

saoutchik 01-28-2022 09:13 AM

Evening all, good to see you Fishkiller.

Thanks Cityboy, Mags. I think it will be worth it.

Hometime, I really fancy fish and chips tonight.

MLD51 01-28-2022 09:26 AM

Fish and chips sounds good. Around here, it's a big deal to have a Friday Fish Fry at a restaurant. A lot of restaurants ONLY have fried fish on Fridays, and not on other days. But families go out on Fridays for fish. Usually it's a whole dinner, including some kind of potato, cole slaw or other vegetable or salad, and dinner rolls. A lot of times it's "all you can eat" fish. I think it started as a Lent-only kind of thing, and then it was so popular that it just became a year-round thing. I prefer actual fish and chips - fried fish, chips, malt vinegar. In a paper-lined basket. There are places to get that around here, and some are quite good. OK, now I want it!

MesaMan 01-28-2022 09:43 AM

One of my fav Topics re: Sobriety. Tnx, Mags.

For me, stripping away all the artifice, and layers, that Alcoholism slathered over a simple existence was a primary joy. I returned to whom I always was when younger, and I find it pretty effortless to just go with that fundamental epiphany. The only 'work' required is to not allow layers of BS to return, or to fall prey to that happening while not alert. In this regard, I gravitate toward a sort of Zen path, and continuously simplify. Mental clarity fosters this.

Establishing, and adhering to, Boundaries? Mostly the proverbial piece-of-Cake. Not get sucked into Codie Drama? Definitely easy. Stay happy with modest accomplishments? That works. Perfectionism used to fuel inevitable disappointment, and the repeated slip-slide to more drinking. A continuing challenge is not let *The Now* get obscured by formerly-sotted blindness, and de-energizing distractions. That entire flushing swirl was fueled by Alcohol, and the resulting drama. Which then 'required' more desensitizing with Alcohol. Ad Nauseum.

When the going gets tough, the tough get a new Chew Toy!

https://i.postimg.cc/FsfQdYgM/Coz-Gone-Wild.jpg

fishkiller 01-28-2022 12:40 PM

MMMMM fishhhh!😄

least 01-28-2022 12:50 PM

Mesa pup looks very happy with his new chew toy. :)

Now you've made me hungry for fish and chips. :yup: Our last fast food fish and chips place closed a while back so we've nowhere to go just for fish and chips.

fishkiller 01-28-2022 01:04 PM

That sounds criminal!!
Everyone should be able to have fish!!😄

Robbie64 01-28-2022 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 7759114)
Mesa pup looks very happy with his new chew toy. :)

Now you've made me hungry for fish and chips. :yup: Our last fast food fish and chips place closed a while back so we've nowhere to go just for fish and chips.

This is why you need to live in the UK! There are fish and chip shops simply everywhere. There are 5 of them within a mile radius from where I live. We're spoilt for choice... actually I didn't realise there were many fish and chip shops in the US, I always thought they tended to be found in the larger cities where there are a large number of British expats living.

venuscat 01-28-2022 02:42 PM

Sigh. My only regret re moving here is fish and chips....there is one place that does an OK job, Old Bag of Nails, but it is never very good when it is delivered.

samwitch 01-28-2022 03:13 PM

Hey folks, I'm in for a sober weekend, boy I just had a massive brush with the AV, but I won. Thanks for everyone posting what they have been about the benefits of sobriety in this thread--it's so helpful for me in these early days(day 33 here.)

least 01-28-2022 03:14 PM

Old Bag of Nails
What's that??

Robbie64 01-28-2022 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 7759172)
What's that??

Looking at their website they seem to be a chain of British themed pubs found in Ohio. If it is them they don't do mushy peas with their fish and chips! Fish and chips aren't fish and chips unless they have a side portion of mushy peas with them...

dustyfox 01-28-2022 03:28 PM

I was imagining Old Bag of Nails, to be some withered dry old chips ! Great Topic Mags.

Sobriety has literally given me eveything I was searching for when was drinking, namely, purpose, happiness, and inner peace. None of this came straight away, but after weeks then months I have begun to feel very different.

Eveything I thought about sobriety was wrong! It is not a torture, it not a life sentence, it is not boring, it is not an empty life, it is in fact freedom from those very things. I am so much more than I ever was before.
Fish and Chips, no one has mentioned mushy peas!

venuscat 01-28-2022 03:29 PM

Not in Aus Robbie love. :) :hug:

(We don't do peas with our fish and chips).

venuscat 01-28-2022 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by samwitch (Post 7759171)
Hey folks, I'm in for a sober weekend, boy I just had a massive brush with the AV, but I won. Thanks for everyone posting what they have been about the benefits of sobriety in this thread--it's so helpful for me in these early days(day 33 here.)

We are all with you Sam love :) :hug: ❤️

Purplrks3647 01-28-2022 03:34 PM

Well done fighting off the AV Samwitch :vd

OMG look at MesaPup :ValB002:

Did someone say fish and chips? :eat

So I booked an appointment for my booster shot tomorrow morning....has anyone who's gotten it had any reaction to theirs? I didn't have any side effects after the first two, but I'm keeping the rest of my weekend open just in case....