SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   “Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 09 - 12 July 2021 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/454592-worth-sweating-small-stuff-weekenders-09-12-july-2021-a.html)

Mags1 07-07-2021 11:31 PM

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 09 - 12 July 2021

Welcome to the Weekenders

This week could’ve, would’ve been a disaster for me if I’d been drinking.

A water leak, scrambling to find it, carpets and floor boards hurriedly pulled up. Then the allergies and asthma flare up because of upheaval (small as it was).

On top of that the plumber didn’t arrive and didn’t even give me a lame excuse, well basically ignored my text.

In the past I would’ve immediately turned to drink. I would’ve deserved it, I’d tell myself. But the drink would’ve added stress to the day and it would’ve been ‘woe is me’, the world hates me, I can’t cope.

Instead it is something I can put right myself. I can find another plumber, it’s a bit of an inconvenience for us for a few days but not worth drinking over. I have my meds for allergies/asthma, so it’s ok.

I know many of you will have been in similar or worse situations and have not turned to booze for the solutions. There’s zero answers in the bottom of a bottle.

Drinking, we know only exacerbates our problem.

I’ve borrowed the following text from one of many of Dee’s inspiring posts. Thanks Dee.

Illusions is one of my favourite books by Richard Bach.

It's actually the first place I read 'don't sweat the small stuff'.

I recommend it to anybody if you can find a copy.

He also writes:

“There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.”

― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

I struggled with that for a long time (still not sure I seek problems but I can take good from them, lol).

The gift of my problems this week was to remind me of the good things in my life...and to remind me that others in this world are *really* suffering.

Reid82 07-08-2021 12:15 AM

Thanks Mags, I'm in and shotgun too!?

andyh 07-08-2021 12:26 AM

thanks Mags :tyou

theVman31 07-08-2021 12:32 AM

Thanks Mags for that worthy reminder in the OP :)
Well done on Shotgun !
And BTW i'm in too.

Mags1 07-08-2021 12:54 AM

Congratulations on shotgun Reid :c011:

Vinny I like your new avatar (you’re gonna tell me it’s been there weeks now and I only noticed it yesterday :lol:)

Hi Andy

Dee74 07-08-2021 12:59 AM

Its still one of my favourite books :)
thanks for the new thread Mags :)

D

Mags1 07-08-2021 01:04 AM

I’m going to order it for my kindle Dee, love reading. Thank you.

Kaily 07-08-2021 01:04 AM

Thanks Mags. Hope the plumber turns up today. I understand people get held up but I never understand why they don't let you know.

I am a natural born worrier, always have been and always will. I can't help it. I stress if I lose a sock! Panic sets in with anything more major than that.

Planning on a long walk today, hip is still giving me some pain but manageable. Fitness is declining, been avoiding steep hills so going to try and push myself. Walk off some stress and some of the chocolate I keep munching. :rolleyes2

Robbie64 07-08-2021 01:20 AM

Thanks Mags :tyou

I'm IN for another sober weekend! A sporting weekend too, with the final of the Euros (come on England!) ⚽ and Wimbledon 🎾. Plus the Tour de France and no doubt other sports too. It's going to be exhausting just watching it all on TV!

Mags1 07-08-2021 01:29 AM

Enjoy your walk Kaily, hope your hip doesn’t cause too much pain. I used to stress over things out of my control and the little stuff. I’m a lot better nowadays. If I stress out it sets the asthma off so I’ve learnt breathing exercises fo4 the asthma and gratitude for the good stuff.

Robbie, it’s a big ask on Sunday, I hope they stay focused and come through it. I find our competitors can be melodramatic :dunno:

PhoenixJ 07-08-2021 02:08 AM

Wise words, Mags.
This week- I have had one' friend' who told me on her moving far away her new fridge was mine and she would keep in contact as I was a close friend. Three months later- a brief text saying the fridge was given away. No other contacts.
- Another 'friend' terminated the friendship as we had nothing in common and my numerous faults were not worth listing. Which means the entire friendship was a lie.
These incidence cause me to feel like an idiot...stupid and unworldly.
- Some one has put 4 long, deep scratches on my car- and just driven away. I cannot afford to repair them...

BUT
- My drawing skills have definitely improved with much tortuous practice..
- I received a distinction for a theory/paintingsubject that 3y ago, I would have scraped a pass.
- I received a credit for the history subject. I have great difficulties with words and numbers- due to cognitive damage cause by burns trauma, etcetc. This progress means my brain is still learning/healing

I worked hard on what I could learn from my 2 friends....I did nothing ever to distress them greatly and do not harbor resentments- but sad and anger at being treated as a fool. I can only work on me- an the lives of others are not my concern.
We work with what we have.

Mags1 07-08-2021 02:45 AM

PJ, you’ve done nothing to upset your friends. You aren’t responsible for their actions. I recall I read many times on SR to keep my own side of the street clean. Yes it hurts when a friend behaves in such a manner but it’s not because of you. It’s their problem. And to be honest, true friends don’t behave that way,
Congratulations on your success and achievements PJ. You should be proud. I’m proud of you. :You_Rock_

Canadian Koala 07-08-2021 02:52 AM

Thanks for this new chapter Mags!
I sweat a lot on small stuff and it's something I have to work on...

The book "Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" from Richard Bach is now on my to-read-list
I found out Richard Bach is also the author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a classic from the 70s...
It was also a movie, one of my favorite zen flick with Harold and Maude.

Have a good day Weekenders ☼

Mags1 07-08-2021 03:11 AM

Hi CK, I have Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. I’d forgotten the author. :dunno:

Phil71els 07-08-2021 03:26 AM

I am in for a sober weekend. This will be my second in a row. That has not happened since the start of March. I am just so enjoying being sober again and sober weekends are so much better than the alternative, thats for sure.

Cityboy 07-08-2021 03:34 AM

PJ, it's such a shame when people do hurtful things, which sometimes seems to be inevitable. I tend to be very resentful.

Kaily, I worry about things also, like if a tool has been misplaced, or if I can't immediately find a certain pair of work pants.

countrystix 07-08-2021 04:05 AM

Thanks Mags. I'm in.

Sober369 07-08-2021 04:15 AM

I am going to look for that book at the library today. Sounds great. And no, it is definitely not worth it to sweat the small stuff, or the big stuff for that matter.

Mags1 07-08-2021 04:37 AM

Good to see you Phil :wave:

Hiya countrystix and sober369, good to see you both :)

saoutchik 07-08-2021 05:43 AM

In for another sober weekend!

Thanks Mags, I think your OP applies universally.

PhoenixJ you are neither stupid nor unworldly, those people were duplicitous and they have lost a friend whereas you have only lost their duplicity. Other people do not realise how hard it is to get sober let alone the other things you have had to go through. You represent the best of us.

As Robbie mentioned, England are through to the final of the UEFA 2020 soccer competition. I wonder how much additional alcohol will be consumed here as a result?