SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The Road less trodden, Weekenders 22 - 25 January 2021 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/451889-road-less-trodden-weekenders-22-25-january-2021-a.html)

Mags1 01-20-2021 11:45 PM

The Road less trodden, Weekenders 22 - 25 January 2021

Welcome to the Weekenders :wavey:

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!) :)

“Suddenly we are faced with ourselves, who we really are. Someone we haven't seen or got to know in a very long time. We may not know how to react. To ourselves or to others. Look in the mirror and say glad to meet me.”

A wise SR member said these words to me when I was newly sober. I was floundering and unsure of myself and really didn’t know who I was or what to do as a sober person!

And it’s true! We start again on the sober road and a dollop of hope and faith.

I felt like I was taking steps into the unknown, on a road less trodden.

And slowly we begin to find ourselves and find life gets better without the booze.

They went on to say to me

"Someday" is not one of the days of the week, and "hopefully" is not a plan. Now is the time to start.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!) :)

andyh 01-21-2021 12:02 AM

thanks Mags :tyou

congratulations Manta & Vinny :scoregood

it's a nice morning here - it was pretty windy overnight, but Storm Christoph seems to have mostly missed us.

Devizes 01-21-2021 12:58 AM

Thanks, Mags.

Well done on shotgun, Andy!

Whereabouts are you? I'm down in Dorset and Christophe pretty much passed us by, too.

I'm in for weekend number 13! Yipppppeeeee :c007:

Mags1 01-21-2021 01:16 AM

Congratulations on 13 weeks Devizes! :c011:

Robbie64 01-21-2021 01:41 AM

Thanks Mags.

I'm IN!

Reid82 01-21-2021 01:55 AM

Thanks Mags, I'm in for this weekend.

biminiblue 01-21-2021 04:05 AM

Lovely opener, Mags. Sounds like a TomSteve-ism.

The next right thing - that next step in front of me - that's an important one for me these days. I can't afford to fall and break any bones. I'm being SO careful right now.

I did get out for a short walk to the park across the river. I had some bread and took it for the mallards. They were happy and I got out of my head by being outdoors. :) My ankle didn't swell up so I'm putting it in the Win column.

Cityboy 01-21-2021 04:30 AM

Glad your ankle is improving Bimini. There is a lake by mom and dad's where the ducks will begin a massive migration across the lake if you have bread. It's always very soothing to feed them.

Cityboy 01-21-2021 04:36 AM

"Steps into the unknown" definitely describes those first few days and weeks.

A year later and its still very much a feeling of being "faced with myself ".

Cityboy 01-21-2021 04:38 AM

Hope you guys had very little wind damage or loss of power.

Mags1 01-21-2021 05:08 AM

Bim glad you got out for a walk. :) I think the words were from EndGame or LBrain.

CityBoy, I can understand being faced with myself. I didn’t know who I was unless I was drinking and then I only thought I knew. I got to know myself when I got sober.

Blowing a gale here! In between rain too.

MantaLady 01-21-2021 05:55 AM

I’m in!

MLD51 01-21-2021 06:35 AM

I'm in.
Love the Charlie Mackesy drawing. I follow him on instagram. Truly, that's how I started my sobriety. One step at a time. It was too overwhelming to try to look at my whole future - so I just kept doing the next right thing. Sometimes even that was a struggle, but it was manageable. Over time, I began to see a way through, and I could start to see a bigger picture. A clearing in the woods. A bright, sunny spot where I could relax and have some peace. If I ever feel overwhelmed by life now, I can go back to keeping it simple for a while, just doing the next right thing and getting through each day sober.

Amy1 01-21-2021 06:40 AM

I am scared to begin long term sobriety but more scared not to! This will be my first sober weekend for a long time. Hope I can make the first few steps!

Amy

MLD51 01-21-2021 06:48 AM

Welcome, Amy!
That's how I was, too. Scared to get sober, but way more scared not to. My life was such a mess and only getting worse.
Stick around this weekend, we can help you get through it.

lifewithart 01-21-2021 06:50 AM

This weekend time to finally do some of the things I had not been doing due to my addiction. Going to a coffee shop to read, long hike, and an extended gym session. Stay busy if you can guys! All the love

kevlarsjal2 01-21-2021 07:43 AM

Nice opener Mags, I'm in :)

Welcome Amy! In the beginning I just posted or read here whenever I felt like giving up, it helped me a lot!

Mags1 01-21-2021 08:28 AM

Welcome Amy, :wavey: I was just the same.I couldn’t think of long term sober to start with and did a day then week at a time. The days do mount up.

Mags1 01-21-2021 08:28 AM

Good to see you lifewithart and kevlar :wavey:

Robbie64 01-21-2021 08:41 AM

Welcome Amy and to all Weekenders :wave:

We've had the strangest weather here today. In parts of the north east (of England) there's been high winds, heavy rain and even flooding.. except for the coastal area where I live where it has been sunny all day with a nice breeze. I even managed to get some washing done and hung outside to dry. Most bizarre.