SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Home, Sweet Home - Weekenders 01 - 04 May 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/447194-home-sweet-home-weekenders-01-04-may-2020-a.html)

SoberLeigh 05-01-2020 08:19 AM

Stay close, dear Vman.

I remember being slumped on the floor and leaning against the kitchen cabinets, broken and desperate, repeating over and over “Enough; enough; enough . . . . .“. It was the end and the beginning.

I know that you have reached your end. You have begun your new life; keep pursuing the necessary avenues to recover; I am so glad that you are doing Zoom AA meetings - what a fantastic endeavor. I am so proud of you.

Lean on us. We care so much about you.

SoberLeigh 05-01-2020 08:22 AM

((((Willow)))). Feel better quickly.

CaptainHaddock 05-01-2020 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock (Post 7436469)
Vinny, what a profound statement. You have been putting in a lot my friend. And that is not only counting the last 7 odd months. If you just keep at it and adjust as required along the way, the day will come (if not already) when it will stick.

Just to undo a skewing- I did not mean to say that there ever needs to be another day 1. Clearly that is not an option. What I meant is that you have enough to be confident that you are already at the point where you can and will make it stick, if you want it enough.

saoutchik 05-01-2020 09:53 AM

MidnightBlue you do not need masses of kit for hiking just decent shoes or boots and water. Since 99% of my walking is done in London I often don't bother with even that.

Originally Posted by Coldfusion (Post 7435969)
Sao, that's a nice view from as high as you got on your mountain climb.ÂÂ I haven't done any mountain climbing lately, but in my youth I four times completed a 36-mile race from sea-level to 10,023 feet.

36 miles and 10,000 feet is mighty impressive Coldfusion. I did actually get quite a lot higher but was driven back by snow, wind and poor visibility about 45 minutes from the summit. I did not chance the last bit.
Well done Vman! Enjoy your walk.
Just heard a really REALLY loud clap of thunder - it must have been pretty close.

Caramel 05-01-2020 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue (Post 7435972)
Hey, weekenders!
Thank you for the new thread, Mags!
Congrats on the shotgun, Captain!
Welcome to weekenders, Freedomfries!
MLD - Sorry about the furlough. Do you know how long it will be?

I am getting myself together bit by bit. Did 10 pushups today)
So, I am a rookie hiker.
What do I need to pack?

For a day-hike (under 8 hours) Water; food; phone; medications; extra clothing and socks; rubbish bag; map;

emergency equipment (first aid kit, hand sanitiser, sunscreen, insect repellent, torch + spare batteries, survival blanket, whistle, extra high-energy snack food)

adequate clothing for the weather; up to date weather forecast;

tell someone your plans.

:c014:

theVman31 05-01-2020 12:39 PM

Sao I was thinking earlier ben nevis in february effectively can get risky quickly so I assumed it was the weather that drove you back. Dont worry Captain. I know you meant well. It's just that at 43 and with my family there can be no more errors or complacence. 100‰ engagement and responsabilty. Every time I drink it's pure insanity. And I always end up driving to get more. And with the car it's like going out in public with a weapon of mass destruction while blacked out. It's just too embarrasing to tell you guys the number of crashes I have had, the number of cars I have destroyed. Anyways thats all behind me now.
This is a sea of clouds last year.ÂÂÂÂ Something of extreme beauty if anyone has ever experienced it....

https://i.postimg.cc/BbhQdn81/Pic-du-midi-OSSAU.jpg

theVman31 05-01-2020 12:42 PM

Dont know why still some funny encoding problems with funny chars.
Anyways goodnight weekenders !

andyh 05-01-2020 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7436579)
... problems with funny chars.

that's no way to speak about your fellow weekenders Vinny ;)

good to hear you so determined - keep up the good work.

Forwards 05-01-2020 01:47 PM

HiWeekenders- I'm in!
Thanks Mags once again. I am grateful for home sweet home and enjoy hiking from time to time. The mountain scenes have reminded me of when my brother took me camping in Snowdonia in an attempt to detox me many years ago. What a nightmare. I was going into withdrawals (though didn't really understand it at the time) and I remember vividly hallucinating that there was beer bubbling from the hillside springs. When we rounded one peak I saw a hut in the distance and all of I could think of was that surely it must be a pub... you get the picture... The weather was lovely though - we were very lucky in that respect :-)
I had a video call with my parents earlier. Being vulnerable themselves they are totally isolating and going a bit stir crazy. Luckily they have found a nearby farm shop willing to deliver. It normally serves the local holiday homes, stocking their pantries before the guests arrive from up country. This means they supply not only farm fresh meat and veg but also quite a few luxury treats. Needless to say, my folks were quite happy to find them and they delivered within the day.
My employment situation with the promised new job is still in limbo - who knows. The current project is within a couple of days of finishing. Maybe I'll hear some news soon. No point in worrying though.
Good to hear of your determination Vinny. There is really no way around this thing other than through it, sober, ODAAT. Nice to see some others popping in. Good stuff.
Anyway, best wishes to all. Forwards.

venuscat 05-01-2020 01:47 PM

And with the car it's like going out in public with a weapon of mass destruction while blacked out.
Not "like". That's the absolute truth. I did that as well. No more.

Dee74 05-01-2020 03:45 PM

yeah I hated the person I became when drinking Vinny - putting other people and myself at risk.
That's not the man I was or wanted to be.

Embrace the real you Vinny - I find it such a peaceful thing to be me :)

D

Willow00 05-01-2020 04:00 PM

Thanks Mags and Leigh, I’m feeling a lot better today :)
Still have a sore arm, and a bit achey all over, but the fevers and chills have gone away thankfully. Going by how horrible I have felt the last couple of days from the flu shot, I really would not like to get the full flu lol.
Vinny you are going to make this stick, you have the determination I am sure :)
Manta I hope if you are reading that you come back :hug:
It is sunny but crisp and cool here today so I think I might venture outside for a short walk. I do not think I am up for a mountain hike yet, but a walk sounds good. I was in bed pretty much all day yesterday so it will be nice to get some fresh air :)

venuscat 05-01-2020 04:38 PM

If Aussies start saying "hike" I am going to

https://i.imgur.com/6PI2CIw.gif

Dee74 05-01-2020 04:41 PM

Whats the Victorian word Suze?
My friends say hike, but they usually mean mountain climbing hikes.
D

venuscat 05-01-2020 04:44 PM

Yeah, same for me as a Victorian. So Willow was spot on. We go for walks. Short walks. Long walks. Bush walks. But a hike means up. And Up. And Up. :) :)
Gosh I am a bit silly now....unwinding from a rough rough day. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Willow00 05-01-2020 06:05 PM

Lol when I say hike I mean up :) A walk is flat. A bush walk might have a bit of up and down. A hike is up a mountain but I am not up for that today lol

PhoenixJ 05-01-2020 07:01 PM

Lots of rain here, much needed.

saoutchik 05-01-2020 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck with your job hunting Forwards, I expect the lockdown has put much of that sort of activity on hold for now.

For me a hike does not have to involve going upwards but it does mean being somewhere in the countryside. My sauntering round London do not count as hikes. I reckon it needs to be a minimum of about two hours to count as a hike.

As I say my walks are not hikes but there are some interesting sites if you know where to look. This is discreetly tucked away in one of the smaller parks a couple of miles from me and has been there for a few years now. The council obviously don't know about it or they would have had it removed. It always makes me smile.

MidnightBlue 05-02-2020 12:32 AM

Morning, weekenders.
Enjoying my coffee)
In case anyone needs a good laugh at the start of the day - I've never seen this video before.
P.S. I hope no one here owns Tesla shares.

theVman31 05-02-2020 02:09 AM

Wasnt expecting so much love and support. Suppose that's why I love SR and particularly the weekenders. Glad you are feeling better Willow. Hope Kaily and Manta check in soon. And anyone else we haven't heard from in a while, Hawk, Mesa, JR, fishkiller...ÂÂÂÂ ÂÂ
Great to see you back too Petals.ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ
To any new members reading the weekender dont hesitate to jump in. It's a pretty amazing group to help recovery.ÂÂ
Is it just me that has lots of funny characters in posts or do you guys edit your posts differently now ?Â