SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Fit for the future - Weekender 03 - 06 April 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/446613-fit-future-weekender-03-06-april-2020-a.html)

andyh 04-03-2020 10:40 PM

I'm up early today too - I couldn't keep my eyes open last night & went to bed at 8pm, which is most unlike me.

I went for a nice walk yesterday - the sun was shining, there were happy-looking dogs running around & everything seemed rather less grim.

there seems to be a trend for people to put kids' paintings of rainbows in their front windows which is rather charming.

https://i.postimg.cc/nLpQLfj3/hearts-rainbow.jpg

sorry to hear about your Dad Kaily. do you have some support to reach out to yourself if you need it?

Vinny - another Pixies fan here - this is rather good:

Willow00 04-03-2020 10:57 PM

Hi weekenders :)

I’m sorry to hear about your Dad Kaily, sending you a big hug :hug:
That was a gorgeous pic of Alfie ❤️

Here is Petey “helping” me get ready to paint.... kinda like when he “helps” me put new sheets on the bed :lmao

https://i.imgur.com/JUj5yoxl.jpg

theVman31 04-03-2020 11:42 PM

Excellent thanks Andy.
G'day Willow ✌️

I was at the BAY strikes back tour on the 29th feb here in Toulouse. Testament, Exodus, Death Angel.

It seems alot of the band members got sick. I was probably in the presence of covid that evening.

https://loudwire.com/death-angel-wil...health-update/

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/te...uring-circuit/

Dee74 04-03-2020 11:46 PM

I'm sorry for your dads news Kaily - best wishes thoughts and prayers to you both :hug:

D

Kaily 04-04-2020 12:25 AM

Thanks everyone, only suspected so who knows without a scan.

Mags1 04-04-2020 12:33 AM

Kaily, sorry for your dad’s news, a lot to deal with especially with all this other stuff going on. :hug:

Willow, Petey looks so mischievous!

Vinny, I think my mother used it as a form of torture to me! :lmao

Reid82 04-04-2020 12:58 AM

I remember saying to someone recently that this whole experience feels like something between Groundhog Day and 1984! Every morning I wake, I barely know what day it is?!

My Aftercare went well - it was nice to see everyone's faces again, I had been in contact with the most of the lads at any rate. Anyway, here's to the weekend......it is the weekend, right??!

MantaLady 04-04-2020 01:52 AM

Just ordered a book off amazon called the authenticity project after listening to Radio 4 this morning and looking forward to starting it. The author Claire Pooley is a self confessed alcoholic in recovery and the book is about a chap who gets a notebook and inside writes the truth of how lonely his life is despite on the surface everything seeming great to everyone else. He leaves it in a coffee shop and is read by a lady who finds it, she tracks him down and helps him. She then decides to write her truth in this notebook and leaves it in a shop where it is found by another who helps her. It’s a story of 6 people and their truth and I love that idea x

MidnightBlue 04-04-2020 02:13 AM

Morning, weekenders.

Off for grocery shopping.

See you later.

MantaLady 04-04-2020 02:41 AM

Sorry to hear your news Kaily, hugs from me and the kitties xx

Cityboy 04-04-2020 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mags1 (Post 7417462)

I’m loving these cabbage recipes, to be honest, we have it steamed, it sounds boring compared to your recipes, I’m going to have a go at spicing it up a bit. When my mum cooked cabbage as a kid she always gave me a cup of cabbage water with salt and pepper in it claiming it was good for my skin! :eek:

x

When I was young, the only way I remember mom doing cabbage was to boil sausage and put the cabbage in the boiling water.

The only way my wife does cabbage is to put it in the pot with the corned beef, but she doesn't even do it like that anymore. I take some of the juice out to steam some cabbage with if we are having corned beef, or else it will be stir fried with olive oil.

When I was young, mom cooked greens a lot. Collards, mustards, turnips, with the roots cut into squares, and a bit of cured pork for flavor and seasoning. We would get a cup of the water (pot liquor), and it turns out that it is very good for you, except in the case of too much of the cured pork.

MidnightBlue 04-04-2020 05:16 AM

Bought all the ingredients to prepare "Cabbage a la Manta".
So, planning on some cooking today.

When I look out of the window streets look like it's January 1 - almost all empty, with some lonely figure walking ince in a while.

Stay safe, weekenders.

jr67 04-04-2020 05:35 AM

Congrats on a successful grocery trip MidnightBlue.

It's amazing, the change in perspective as to what is a challenge and what is success. On that note, I am pleased to report that yesterday two grocery stores near me had the elusive tp (though I did not need it I was happy to see that maybe the hoarding is simmering down).

MidnightBlue 04-04-2020 06:49 AM

Thanks, Jr)

Yes, perspective is surely changing.

I am not hoarding at all. Maybe it's some silly sabotaging bravery, but I just refuse to follow the panic trend. Though toilet paper is back in stock, and even my favorite almond milk with coconut flower nectar.

Yes, that is my little weakness. I don't drink regular milk, so I've been looking for some decent replacement for a while. And about a month ago I discovered this gem. It's a little bit pricey, but I can't help myself. It's unbelievable -perfect texture and taste, and this nectar adds just a little bit of sweatness.

When this corona situation got worse it disappeared. I sort of complained about it at work and some of my colleagues commented something like "first world problems - no almond milk with coconut flower".

Yep, sure. I didn't answer back that this almond milk lover survived a few times when there was no money for food and I existed in a forced fasting mode for a couple days straight. So, enjoying my treats now.

Long story short - it's back in stock too.

lunar 04-04-2020 06:54 AM

Hope everyone is well.

PeaceManic 04-04-2020 06:58 AM

People can be a little unrealistic about what's essential and what's luxury. Theoretically we could live in a cardboard box on water and rice, but it's hardly a life.

Personally I'd fight and die for salted pistachios, cockles and Netflix.

MidnightBlue 04-04-2020 07:37 AM

Stumbled on this video - major cities before and after COVID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZZF39fgWM

It reminds me of Butterfly affect and in a way "Sound of Thunder" by Bradbury.

One small event - and the entire world is almost paralyzed.

SoberLeigh 04-04-2020 07:44 AM

Greetings :wave: and love ❤️ to all.

Thanks to everyone for being here. I have read all posts but haven’t looked at the links yet. Thanks to all for your wisdom, humor, recipes, etc. Mags, your opening post was fantastic.

Kaily, prayers that your Dad is okay and, if not, for full recovery.

MidnigntBlue, it is so good to see you; I have been thinking of you.

Coldfusion, good to see you here.

I have been feeling less than stellar all week (not COVID). Headaches have been awful but somewhat manageable with ibuprofen. When this coronavirus eases up, I will have this checked out.

We are under a stay-at-home order. Our state is among the worst in the nation (but nothing near New York) with a peak expected at the end of the month.

Stay safe and well, friends.

MidnightBlue 04-04-2020 07:49 AM

Stay safe, Leigh!

saoutchik 04-04-2020 08:52 AM

Best wishes to your dad Kaily, make sure you look after yourself too.

Sending positive vibes your way Keigh.

Watching MidnightBlue's cities video it occurred to be that I had been drunk in all the European cities (bar Tel Aviv and I'm not sure if that is European or not) plus New York. It was a reminder of a wasted past, in all meanings of the word.

Londoners are being tortured by it being the most beautiful day of the year outside.