SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Another worthless day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/445561-another-worthless-day.html)

Lisalily 02-06-2020 08:38 AM

Another worthless day

Just feeling super worthless again. Everything I do is not enough.

Surrendered19 02-06-2020 08:49 AM

I'm sorry you are feeling that way Lisalily. Are you sober and otherwise on a healthy road? I hope you remember in the dark times that only you can determine your own worth. Another's opinion - even your husband's - on your worth or whether you've done enough can be very hurtful, self-serving and most times inaccurate. The only opinion that really matters is the person you look at in the mirror. Self-confidence is a tough one for many of us here in recovery-world. I wish you healing and continued recovery.

DaisyBelle7 02-06-2020 08:50 AM

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. What can we do to help?

fini 02-06-2020 08:57 AM

not enough for whom and what?
when i feel that way, often i find it helpful to set a small goal, just one or two little things i want to accomplish that day, small enough so that it is doable quite easily but still requires "making myself" get to it.

ThatWasTheOldMe 02-06-2020 09:01 AM

I don't know if you need to hear this, but feeling worthless is a symptom of depression. It's not necessarily indicative of what you really feel about yourself.

Even if you relapsed, that doesn't make you worthless nor does it make worthlessness your actual self-image. In fact, I would argue that if you were drinking heavily recently, your brain is probably out of whack. The stuff is a nasty cocktail for our brain chemistry.

You're not worthless, lisalily. Especially if you're here.

tomls 02-06-2020 09:07 AM

I think you are not in a very good environment to try to get yourself right. Getting pounded with negativity constantly is just going to create negativity. You have to quit drinking and whatever for you. Is there any way you can go somewhere else at least for a while so you can get your head screwed on straight?

Pressmetilihurt 02-06-2020 09:12 AM

I so know that feeling. It's a good emotional bottom. It helps me to do a positive thing like someone suggested. Go to a meeting, call a friend, email your doctor, post again on here. A sober friend keeps telling me to go easy on myself. I really appreciate him for that. I'll tell you the same. Being sober right now is enough. It's the absolute best thing you can do.

aasharon90 02-06-2020 09:44 AM

Sometimes just doing one thing a day is a lot. Huge.

That's all is needed for an accomplishment.

Getting and staying sober is also HUGE. Concentrate
on recovery for yourself and the rest will follow.

fishkiller 02-06-2020 09:45 AM

Sorry to hear you are down.
Why is it you feels this way? If you don't mind sharing.

Lisalily 02-06-2020 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 (Post 7377417)
I'm sorry you are feeling that way Lisalily. Are you sober and otherwise on a healthy road? I hope you remember in the dark times that only you can determine your own worth. Another's opinion - even your husband's - on your worth or whether you've done enough can be very hurtful, self-serving and most times inaccurate. The only opinion that really matters is the person you look at in the mirror. Self-confidence is a tough one for many of us here in recovery-world. I wish you healing and continued recovery.

hi yes I am still sober no relapses. Thank you. Anytime I feel like I’m doing well he seems to have the perfect timing of lashing out on me and telling all the things I’ve done wrong recently and in the past as well.

Lisalily 02-06-2020 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt (Post 7377428)
I so know that feeling. It's a good emotional bottom. It helps me to do a positive thing like someone suggested. Go to a meeting, call a friend, email your doctor, post again on here. A sober friend keeps telling me to go easy on myself. I really appreciate him for that. I'll tell you the same. Being sober right now is enough. It's the absolute best thing you can do.

Thank you! My best friend loves 300 miles away and I hate bothering her when I’m feeling down but I cracked and text her and she reminded me of all the good things about me. It helps to be reminded. I am sober and that is my one key.

Lisalily 02-06-2020 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe (Post 7377424)
I don't know if you need to hear this, but feeling worthless is a symptom of depression. It's not necessarily indicative of what you really feel about yourself.

Even if you relapsed, that doesn't make you worthless nor does it make worthlessness your actual self-image. In fact, I would argue that if you were drinking heavily recently, your brain is probably out of whack. The stuff is a nasty cocktail for our brain chemistry.

You're not worthless, lisalily. Especially if you're here.

thank you. I am 80 days sober today

Lisalily 02-06-2020 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by tomls (Post 7377426)
I think you are not in a very good environment to try to get yourself right. Getting pounded with negativity constantly is just going to create negativity. You have to quit drinking and whatever for you. Is there any way you can go somewhere else at least for a while so you can get your head screwed on straight?

I agree it’s really hard. I know I’m not perfect I make mistakes but it’s hard being told you aren’t working as hard as them and that other person is doing more and this and that and just being put down but then being told you’re playing the victim .. no I can’t go anywhere

Steely 02-06-2020 11:04 AM

I'm 52 days sober Lisalily and can relate to the feelings of worthlessness. To have them reinforced by another is cruel, hurtful, and he'd know that.

I'm trying to achieve just one small thing a day, even writing a list. :). It helps.

I live alone Lisalily so do not have the constant reinforcement you are facing. If it we're me I'd be trying to find a therapist, AA meetings, anything that helps to reinforce your worth.

Surround yourself with people who see your good.

Sober45 02-06-2020 11:27 AM

80 days is an amazing accomplishment (36 for me). I can only assume you’re a very strong person because personally I don’t think I would last with someone harping on me like that. You deserve so much more.

Anna 02-06-2020 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisalily (Post 7377474)
Anytime I feel like I’m doing well he seems to have the perfect timing of lashing out on me and telling all the things I’ve done wrong recently and in the past as well.

While it's understandable that your husband was upset about your past drinking, it's unfair to continue to bring up the subject as you are recovering. In fact, it's abusive on his part, when you are working hard on your recovery, to lash out and talk about things you've done wrong. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Are you able to talk about what he's doing to you, and will he listen? Maybe couples counselling would be something to consider?

Delilah1 02-06-2020 12:00 PM

80 days sober is something to be very proud of. It’s definitely not okay for him to put you down.

HeadEast 02-06-2020 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by fini (Post 7377422)
not enough for whom and what?
when i feel that way, often i find it helpful to set a small goal, just one or two little things i want to accomplish that day, small enough so that it is doable quite easily but still requires "making myself" get to it.

This is what I do. Just really small goals.

thomas11 02-06-2020 12:22 PM

Try to do just one thing today that will make you feel like you've accomplished something. It's worked for me for years. You'll be ok.

Libby06 02-06-2020 12:25 PM

Nope, nope, nope. 80 days sober is not a worthless day. Please dont let anyone else determine your worth. Life is too short for all that!

I find making a gratitude list ALWAYS lifts my spirits. Please dont stay in this dark mindset for long. Eventually it will bring you back to a drink and that is a worthless day.

Straighten your crown, and be proud of your accomplishments :c018: