SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Should i get a pet (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/442113-should-i-get-pet.html)

Tinkerbeau 09-21-2019 12:55 PM

Should i get a pet

Hi everyone

I'm on day 4 of my what feels like billionth try to beat this, and this time im determined to and doing everything possible I've seen a councillor, and will continue to do so, ive admitted to things from past that i never told anyone, including how abusive my ex was. I have a doctor's appointment tuesday to ask for change in my antidepressants.
The past couple of days I've been thinking about getting a cat, to bring another focus into my life, I've also been reading about the benefits of cats to helping with mental health.
i was just wondering people's thoughts on this.

doggonecarl 09-21-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau (Post 7272648)
i was just wondering people's thoughts on this.

I say if you want a pet and are ready for the commitment of having a companion animal, get a pet.

If you thing your pet will get you sober, I think you are mistaken.

Anna 09-21-2019 01:14 PM

I think getting a cat is a great idea. Having a pet to care for can be so healing and helpful. If you are ready for the commitment involved in having a pet, then go for it. There are so many cats looking for a forever home. :)

Callas 09-21-2019 01:15 PM

Sort yourself out first.

least 09-21-2019 01:32 PM

I agree that if you're ready for the lifetime commitment of having a cat, then go for it. I've had cats all my life and love them dearly. :) But just remember, it is for their lifetime. It's not like furniture you can just "get rid of".

And don't declaw your cat, that's cruel. Do have it spayed or neutered tho.

Tinkerbeau 09-21-2019 01:37 PM

I know a cat is a commitment i had one in past till he sadly died. Was more wondering if people thought they were a help to mental health.

And i am trying very very very hard to 'sort myself out' that is the point.

least 09-21-2019 01:41 PM

My cats (3) and dog help keep me grounded and content. I believe they're a big help for my mental health. I also believe they help me stay sober as I have to be sober to take good care of them. It's another good reason to stay sober. :)

Mummyto2 09-21-2019 01:49 PM

If you want to give a home to a cat go for it, take no notice of certain comments on here, I have a cat & 2 dogs, they are great company 👍

WaterOx 09-21-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 7272653)
I say if you want a pet and are ready for the commitment of having a companion animal, get a pet.

If you thing your pet will get you sober, I think you are mistaken.

I agree with this. I got a cat and kept drinking for years.

Mummyto2 09-21-2019 02:03 PM

Why don’t people read original post correctly it’s so annoying, I had the same on my posting today, they don’t want a cat in the hope all of a sudden it stops them drinking STOP jumping to conclusions omg

Sohard 09-21-2019 03:14 PM

Yes. I got a dog and I’m 50% sure she’s half the reason I’m still sober (138 days!). Why don’t you try what I did? Foster the cat first. That way, if it doesn’t work out, at least you gave her a break from the humane center. A win for all.

Yes, pets are terrific for your mental health. Good for you!

ColoradoRocky 09-21-2019 03:25 PM

Don't get a cat that drinks, or, if it did, make sure it has some
serious recovery time under its belt. :c014::c014:

Dascha 09-21-2019 03:34 PM

My cat always lifts my spirits and makes me smile. She really is my best bud. I think pets are wonderful for mental health.. ☺

entropy1964 09-21-2019 03:56 PM

Well I can't tell you what to do. But I can share my experience.

My cat is a he devil and I love him. He is indoor/outdoor and that is kinda stressful because I worry about him. But he's older now so really he just goes out, does his business, then comes back in. He will probably be my last kitty tho. They can be a bit of a pain....scratching furniture etc.

My dog is my true best friend. I love him so much....boundless joy from that guy. He is easy too....but requires lots of love and daily long walks. Oh and don't forget the cost of animals....that's a thing if you want to truly take care of them.

I guess what I'm saying is yes. My animals definitely help me with sadness and anxiety. Nothing is cuter than saying good night to my furbabies, one at my feet and one by my side. My dog loves me, is always happy to see me and teaches me what pure gratitude looks like.

You decide when/if you're ready. But joy is what animals provide. And with joy and love in return? Well its a win win.

Pinky1 09-21-2019 04:06 PM

I got my cat when I was 6 days sober. I'm 145 days now.
I had wanted another cat for ages. He hasn't kept me sober but he is so good for my mental health. I love him so much. I love animals. They love and don't judge.
Mine's one spoilt kitty by me and my hubby. I will never regret having him, he's part of our family ❤

Mummyto2 09-21-2019 04:11 PM

Colaradorocky hahahaha I was laughing at that post ha very good 👍

Tailai 09-21-2019 04:21 PM

Caring for something has been shown to increase happiness in a longitudinal study I read. I’ve had cats all my life & I agree.

trailmix 09-21-2019 05:20 PM

If you can afford a cat and can take care of him or her and will love him or her, the question is why wouldn't you have a cat!

Atlast9999 09-21-2019 05:25 PM

I think animals are extremely therapeutic. If you have the time, energy, and money for one than go for it!

PuckLuck 09-21-2019 07:02 PM

Pets are amazing, but I think you need to be doing well enough yourself before taking on that responsibility.

I got a puppy thinking it would cure my loneliness, my depression and my drinking. Fast forward 3 years later and he lives with my parents.

Which is totally fine because he adores them, they love him and I just think he is better off with them until I get back on my feet again. I recently moved back home, so I get to play with him and walk him daily. Which is great.

Truth is I was nowhere near ready for the responsibility. Things were pretty good for the 1st year, but then things got so bad I couldn't even take care of myself let alone a rambunctious puppy. Thankfully I had my mom and dad who intervened.

Just be honest with yourself before making that big decision.

PuckLuck 09-21-2019 07:04 PM

Sorry if I misread your post! Pets ARE great for mental health. Just wanted to relate to you my personal experience. My mental health was so whacked the cutest pet in world couldn't have helped lol

BeABetterMan 09-21-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky (Post 7272713)
Don't get a cat that drinks, or, if it did, make sure it has some
serious recovery time under its belt. :c014::c014:

Fricking Rocky 😂

sugarbear1 09-21-2019 09:52 PM

get the cat after you get at least a year sober.

Buy a plant. Keep it alive. Get sober and stay stopped from drinking alcohol for a period of time.....

rainbowalien 09-22-2019 12:53 AM

Animals are amazing for mental health, unconditional love and companionship happiness humans just can’t give.

However I know I put my boys (2 dogs & puss cat) through Merry hell and I know I didn’t look after them properly when I was knocking back the vodka everyday and can’t quite forgive myself with guilt although I’m making it up to them now.

Just make sure your ready for the commitment and I’m sure a rescue kitty 🐱 will bring you lots of love and joy.

Natom 09-22-2019 01:18 AM

I remember someone telling me to get a house plant. If I could ensure that the house plant didn't die for 6 months then I should get a pet. If my pet was still alive after 6 months then I should start dating.

I think in active addiction and early recovery a pet is a really bad idea. I'd probably look at volunteering in local shelters and/or animal facilities etc. You'd get the therapeutic value of a pet without any of the commitment. You'd also be helping a worthy cause.

Natom

Zanna 09-22-2019 01:52 AM

I've been sober two years and my cat is seven - we both survived the experience and I can honestly say, she never went without food, water or meds when needed..
She is also my best friend.

kenton 09-22-2019 02:14 AM

For me, there's something about the way animals live in the present moment, that's very beneficial for my emotions and mental health. My dog lives life on life's terms. He accepts things the way they are and doesn't try to change things. And whilst he's affectionate, loving and probably one of the best creatures on the planet (ok, I'm biased - I just really love my dog), he's also awesome at self care. He knows when he needs to rest, he knows when the kids are doing his head in and he needs some space.... He looks out for all of us and he looks out for himself. He never gets depressed or holds grudges or judges anyone. I've learnt a lot from my dog. And I will never forget the day I was washing dishes and silently crying about my dad's death and my dog came over to me, lay on the kitchen floor and placed his paw on my foot. I'd be lost without him, if I'm honest xxx

Epictetus 09-22-2019 04:48 AM

Steve O! Finding true love!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobfudVkc-4

I watched a video of another member of jackass who's going through some mental health/alcohol issues and up popped a Steve O video. Watched a few and many comments about Steve O getting clean and sober have been "if Steve O can get and remain clean and sober (eleven years) anyone can!

I like this video: shows the loving bond that develops between the animal and it's carer. Of course the owner has to cultivate love, care, trust, friendship on a daily basis which can only be a positive move in the right direction. (I reckon the owner/person has to be that way inclined, knowing that they would cultivate those things and look after it.........some here know they wouldn't....others know they would)

Interesting is a comment if you scroll down the video that says:
"I found my dog 9 years ago,been my best friend.also been drug free since then"

ChloeRose63 09-22-2019 04:53 AM

Go to your local animal shelter and let a pet pick YOU!
Many pets are asking themselves: "Should I get an owner?!"
You will find your best self in the eyes of a pet.

Delilah1 09-22-2019 11:20 AM

We have two dogs right now, but have had cats in the past and loved having them as pets. They are a little easier than dogs because you don't need to worry about letting them out while you aren't home. Our cats were always indoor cats, and they were great. It is nice companionship. You may be able to adopt a cat that is a little older, and the nice thing about that is the shelter can share the personality of the cat with you. My cats all liked being near me, and were great snugglers.