Notices

Should i get a pet

Old 09-21-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should i get a pet

Hi everyone

I'm on day 4 of my what feels like billionth try to beat this, and this time im determined to and doing everything possible I've seen a councillor, and will continue to do so, ive admitted to things from past that i never told anyone, including how abusive my ex was. I have a doctor's appointment tuesday to ask for change in my antidepressants.
The past couple of days I've been thinking about getting a cat, to bring another focus into my life, I've also been reading about the benefits of cats to helping with mental health.
i was just wondering people's thoughts on this.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
i was just wondering people's thoughts on this.
I say if you want a pet and are ready for the commitment of having a companion animal, get a pet.

If you thing your pet will get you sober, I think you are mistaken.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think getting a cat is a great idea. Having a pet to care for can be so healing and helpful. If you are ready for the commitment involved in having a pet, then go for it. There are so many cats looking for a forever home.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sort yourself out first.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree that if you're ready for the lifetime commitment of having a cat, then go for it. I've had cats all my life and love them dearly. But just remember, it is for their lifetime. It's not like furniture you can just "get rid of".

And don't declaw your cat, that's cruel. Do have it spayed or neutered tho.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know a cat is a commitment i had one in past till he sadly died. Was more wondering if people thought they were a help to mental health.

And i am trying very very very hard to 'sort myself out' that is the point.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My cats (3) and dog help keep me grounded and content. I believe they're a big help for my mental health. I also believe they help me stay sober as I have to be sober to take good care of them. It's another good reason to stay sober.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you want to give a home to a cat go for it, take no notice of certain comments on here, I have a cat & 2 dogs, they are great company 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I say if you want a pet and are ready for the commitment of having a companion animal, get a pet.

If you thing your pet will get you sober, I think you are mistaken.
I agree with this. I got a cat and kept drinking for years.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why don’t people read original post correctly it’s so annoying, I had the same on my posting today, they don’t want a cat in the hope all of a sudden it stops them drinking STOP jumping to conclusions omg
Old 09-21-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. I got a dog and I’m 50% sure she’s half the reason I’m still sober (138 days!). Why don’t you try what I did? Foster the cat first. That way, if it doesn’t work out, at least you gave her a break from the humane center. A win for all.

Yes, pets are terrific for your mental health. Good for you!
Old 09-21-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't get a cat that drinks, or, if it did, make sure it has some
serious recovery time under its belt.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My cat always lifts my spirits and makes me smile. She really is my best bud. I think pets are wonderful for mental health.. ☺
Old 09-21-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I can't tell you what to do. But I can share my experience.

My cat is a he devil and I love him. He is indoor/outdoor and that is kinda stressful because I worry about him. But he's older now so really he just goes out, does his business, then comes back in. He will probably be my last kitty tho. They can be a bit of a pain....scratching furniture etc.

My dog is my true best friend. I love him so much....boundless joy from that guy. He is easy too....but requires lots of love and daily long walks. Oh and don't forget the cost of animals....that's a thing if you want to truly take care of them.

I guess what I'm saying is yes. My animals definitely help me with sadness and anxiety. Nothing is cuter than saying good night to my furbabies, one at my feet and one by my side. My dog loves me, is always happy to see me and teaches me what pure gratitude looks like.

You decide when/if you're ready. But joy is what animals provide. And with joy and love in return? Well its a win win.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I got my cat when I was 6 days sober. I'm 145 days now.
I had wanted another cat for ages. He hasn't kept me sober but he is so good for my mental health. I love him so much. I love animals. They love and don't judge.
Mine's one spoilt kitty by me and my hubby. I will never regret having him, he's part of our family ❤
Old 09-21-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Colaradorocky hahahaha I was laughing at that post ha very good 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Caring for something has been shown to increase happiness in a longitudinal study I read. I’ve had cats all my life & I agree.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you can afford a cat and can take care of him or her and will love him or her, the question is why wouldn't you have a cat!
Old 09-21-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think animals are extremely therapeutic. If you have the time, energy, and money for one than go for it!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Pets are amazing, but I think you need to be doing well enough yourself before taking on that responsibility.

I got a puppy thinking it would cure my loneliness, my depression and my drinking. Fast forward 3 years later and he lives with my parents.

Which is totally fine because he adores them, they love him and I just think he is better off with them until I get back on my feet again. I recently moved back home, so I get to play with him and walk him daily. Which is great.

Truth is I was nowhere near ready for the responsibility. Things were pretty good for the 1st year, but then things got so bad I couldn't even take care of myself let alone a rambunctious puppy. Thankfully I had my mom and dad who intervened.

Just be honest with yourself before making that big decision.