SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Went to funeral for an addict's suicide (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/439457-went-funeral-addicts-suicide.html)

Pressmetilihurt 06-15-2019 07:42 PM

Went to funeral for an addict's suicide

Today, I went a funeral for an addicts suicide. I feel for him. I wish addicts didn't have to choose to end their lives. I wish..we didn't judge so much. I am afraid to come here or AA because I relapse. I am sad that we feel like that.

Dee74 06-15-2019 07:48 PM

I'm sorry for your loss Press.
It's hard to know the reasons why anyone decides to take their life.

I know from my own life I judged myself way more harshly than anyone else ever could.

It takes a lot to get past that fear, and the feeling of being so unworthy of help, and ask for support but I think we absolutely have to Press.

I hope you/'ll continue to do that :)

D

trailmix 06-15-2019 07:49 PM

So sorry about your friend.

Coldfusion 06-15-2019 07:53 PM

I'm sad to hear about your friend, but it's good that you are here and sober.

WaterOx 06-15-2019 07:53 PM

That's terribly sad. I'm so sorry.

Canuck76 06-15-2019 07:58 PM

Dee said it right. I judge myself much more harshly than I ever would anyone else. I have had suicidal ideations, not 'suicidal' in that I was attempting of actually doing it. Maybe I will jump off a bridge if I am an 80 year old man with a terminal illness, but I am not done yet.

FightOn 06-15-2019 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt (Post 7207344)
I am afraid to come here or AA because I relapse. I am sad that we feel like that.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

I would not be afraid to come here because of a relapse. If any of us here quit on our first try we would not need AA or this website. The thing is to keep trying until you find what works for you.
We all know what happens if we keep using.

thomas11 06-15-2019 08:15 PM

Sorry to hear about yet another suicide. Seems to be an epidemic. Take care of yourself.

least 06-15-2019 08:19 PM

Maybe if you'd post here more often, you wouldn't relapse as much. I know coming here in my early days helped me stay strong. :hug:

I am very sorry about the loss of your friend in such an awful way. :hug:

DontRemember 06-15-2019 09:07 PM

Never feel affraid to come here or go to AA because you're drinking/been drinking. We've ALL been there. Sorry about your friend.

Pressmetilihurt 06-15-2019 09:36 PM

I actually did not know him. I only know his mom. I will keep coming and posting. I have 2 bottles of wine in the fridge. I don't want to drink it. Making big decisions scares me.

Dee74 06-15-2019 09:44 PM

The best thing you could do for yourself is pour those bottles down the drain.

You're a parent yourself right?
Do it in honour and memory of that poor woman's son.

Dump it, Press. You know it's the right thing to do.

D

Pressmetilihurt 06-15-2019 09:53 PM

Ok

eve123 06-15-2019 11:21 PM

Very sad press. I know too many that have done this from rehab and from the rooms of Aa. Please please do not drink that wine. Remember last time? How bad you felt the hangover darkness anxiety etc? Do you really want to feel like that? I’m sure you don’t. Pour the wine away it’s nothing good for you at all.

FBL 06-16-2019 10:45 AM

First of all, sorry for your loss. I know how bad it can get. Many times I thought about ending my life. So glad I hung on until I could surrender and find recovery.

In my experience, nobody could possibly pass judgement on me like I could on myself. If you are vulnerable and truly reach out, I think you'll find many willing to help. As long as there is life, there is hope.

tomsteve 06-16-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt (Post 7207384)
Making big decisions scares me.

press,continueing to drink is making a big decision- its making a decision to continue down the path that could lead to death-self inflicted or otherwise.
what is there to fear in deciding to go to any length for victory over alcohol? welp, for me that was fear of the unknown- i had no clue what my life without alcohol would be like.
something that helped give me courage was fear of the known-what my life with alcohol still in it would be like.
just gotta decide to go to any lengths and get some courage-courage doesnt mean the absence of fear;it means you'll do the right thing in spite of fear.
heres a thread of mine from a few years ago. it wasnt easy going through that but i did it sober
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...bit-angry.html

Pressmetilihurt 06-16-2019 05:10 PM

Thank you. All of you. I hate feeling vulnerable.

Dee74 06-16-2019 05:18 PM

I don't know anyone who likes feeling that way press - but this is a safe place to talk and vent and find support :)

Anything but more drinking...

D

Pressmetilihurt 06-16-2019 08:47 PM

I poured out the wine. I feel like crying. I'm not sure if those two are related. I went for a very slow jog/walk today. Here's a list of things I used to enjoy and have stopped doing: cycling in the hills, river rafting, parties, volunteer work, hiking, camping, graduate school, journalling, exercise programs, swimming,....

Gladiolus 06-16-2019 09:51 PM

Nice first steps in the right direction, Press.
Pouring out the wine... then everything else is possible.
Movement creates momentum. Right? It's always my answer to dealing with stress "naturally".
Exercise, even slow movement, allows for deeper breathing, which helps fight paralyzing anxiety and cravings.
What's next?