SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Relapsed after 18 months (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433866-relapsed-after-18-months.html)

Cleopatra4 11-08-2018 09:46 AM

Relapsed after 18 months

I am back. I was so happy for a year and a half and then drank. I thought I could manage it but I can’t. I picked up right where I left off. Been on a bender ever since. I feel absolutely terrible this morning. So sick and tired. So depressed and remorseful. Anyway just saying hi and I need you guys.

nez 11-08-2018 09:59 AM

And we need you! Glad you are back, there is power in "we". I couldn't do this on my own, a lesson that I had to learn the hard way.

entropy1964 11-08-2018 10:29 AM

So glad you are back....and thank you for sharing.

wildflower70 11-08-2018 10:55 AM

I'm sorry your going through this, I too have relapsed after 6 or 8 months sober, and like you, I was feeling so good and accomplishing so much....What led up to this? Was it brewing for awhile or did it hit you out of the blue?

least 11-08-2018 10:57 AM

Start again, and change your plan to prevent relapse in the future. :hug:

August252015 11-08-2018 11:19 AM

glad you made it back.

Delilah1 11-08-2018 01:25 PM

Welcome back Cleopatra! What helped you stay sober during those 18 months?

I had many daybines in the past as well. I found that truly focusing on recover, and a plan and not just not drinking really helped.

Dee74 11-08-2018 03:11 PM

Welcome back Cleopatra :)

any ideas yet on what you might do differently this time?
D

Cleopatra4 11-08-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by wildflower70 (Post 7050784)
I'm sorry your going through this, I too have relapsed after 6 or 8 months sober, and like you, I was feeling so good and accomplishing so much....What led up to this? Was it brewing for awhile or did it hit you out of the blue?

it it had been brewing for a while. We booked a trip to Hawaii and thought it would be a great idea to try drinking again! SMH

Cleopatra4 11-08-2018 03:28 PM

More meetings, more posting, more focus on my health. I got complacent :(

Highercall 11-08-2018 04:00 PM

You recognise you have relapsed and are on a bender. The question is how bad do you want the relapse to be? And what are the potential consequences?

My advice is put it behind you don't beat yourself up and get sober straight away.

Good luck.

Misc72 11-08-2018 05:51 PM

Happy you are back. I had achieved 18 months of happiness too a few years back. It has been next to impossible to achieve that again but I'm here and I'm determined and happy you are too!

Dee has something on sober plans and I'm hoping he sees this to send us the link. It was helpful and I just can't find it. xox

Hevyn 11-08-2018 05:58 PM

Hi Cleopatra. I did the same thing - thought I'd give moderation a try. Surely I would never overdo it again, right? It took me a very long time to get back on track. I'm so glad you are back with more determination. :)

Fearlessat50 11-08-2018 07:13 PM

Hi Cleopatra, I had many relapses because I thought I could drink moderately again. One relapse actually was completely out of the blue. It was like I was in a dream walking in my sleep. For a time I was able to moderate but ended up right where I was before and worse eventually. I agree with what others have said. It really takes more than having a goal “just not drinking” for long term. I think we all risk getting complacent after a while. It’s easy to forget the last bad drunk or rock bottom or whatever made us want to stop in the first place.

I was sober about a year and half and started having drinking thoughts again over some life stress. I started coming back here to SR and they saved me from a relapse. I’m sure of it. I realized that I need to work on my sobriety (and emotional sobriety) every day for the rest of my life. Ive done therapy, yoga, meditation, exercise. I needed to work on better coping skills through life ups and downs. Because just because we are sober, life’s proble,s don’t all go away, only the ones from drinking. Every problem is made worse by drinking. Alcohol gave me only minutes of short term relief and immediate gratification but hours, days, etc of grief and problems.

I am almost two years sober now and I guard my sobriety with everything I have now. Life is so much better without alcohol!

I hope to see you around here while you get back on track.

PhoenixJ 11-08-2018 11:09 PM

support to you

Zebra1275 11-09-2018 05:17 AM

I got complacent

Yep, that happened to me after several years of sobriety.

The problem for me is not the booze, it's the thinking that occurs between my ears.

Glad you made it back!

Dee74 11-09-2018 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by joy57 (Post 7051057)
Happy you are back. I had achieved 18 months of happiness too a few years back. It has been next to impossible to achieve that again but I'm here and I'm determined and happy you are too!

Dee has something on sober plans and I'm hoping he sees this to send us the link. It was helpful and I just can't find it. xox

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html :)

D

Misc72 11-09-2018 07:49 PM

Thanks for that Dee! Yes..

Soberwolf 11-09-2018 11:38 PM

Welcome back Cleo xxx

Cleopatra4 11-10-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Highercall (Post 7050998)
You recognise you have relapsed and are on a bender. The question is how bad do you want the relapse to be? And what are the potential consequences?

My advice is put it behind you don't beat yourself up and get sober straight away.

Good luck.

Not bad! No thank you. I’m on day 3 now. Still tired. Hangovers and withdrawals were a bit worse this time.