SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender Thread 19-23 October 2018 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433295-weekender-thread-19-23-october-2018-a.html)

Mark1014 10-19-2018 05:39 AM

Thanks for that pic Sao. I enjoy glimpses of all these faraway places. Back in August I enjoyed the view from the top of one of the arches in London. It wasn’t marble arch, but the name escapes me. Enjoy that great weather.

biminiblue 10-19-2018 05:40 AM

I started posting in Weekender because it seemed fun, interesting, adventurous and helpful. Many of the members from my early sobriety no longer post and that is a loss for all of us, but one of the things that was posted frequently was this, and I still think of it and use the technique. I can find myself tense for no reason. Being mindful of that and purposely releasing tension is helpful.

So here, from Mecanix and Weasel (Ken.) This was posted in this week back in 2015.

Get support here! Weekender October 23 until...

We welcome newcomers and the not so new alike. Feeling like we are supported is vital. The weekender is a place to let loose a little. Shake off the bark. Smile in sobriety. Be in the now.

But more so it's a place to find solid reaffirming support in our collective sobriety. That's sounds big but it's really not. It's simple. Just say hello.

*Ring Ring*

What does it mean? In the words of Mecanix...

“The first bell is the bell of mindfulness, calling to me and you.
It says stop what am i doing right now, take some breaths, feel my body, am I holding it tight and tense? Relax… calm down… life is a journey and not a destination, make the journey as glorious as possible.

The second bell is the freedom bell and I'm ringing it for you to let you know freedom from drink and drugs is available to you, come and hear us calling out to you."

Can you hear it? I can!!!

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Ken

kevlarsjal2 10-19-2018 06:01 AM

It's gonna be a weird weekend for me so I'll join! Not sure I will post much, I feel a bit locked into my own head and am so low on energy these days. In this state communication is not easy.

Thanks for the pictures Vinny and Sao! I loved the swan and seeing London is always nice.

MidnightBlue 10-19-2018 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 7036790)
Welcome to Weekenders Purpleman.

It's unseasonably warm and sunny in London .

Same here, Sao.

And thanks for this treat of a picture.

I am safely back into my own world.

Macaroni1234 10-19-2018 08:18 AM

I've always wanted to join this but always made excuses. I'm looking forward to spending part of my weekend here so I can be a few days sober before heading into stressful work week. I'm so exhausted in early sobriety I really need weekends to rest not drink
Lila

MidnightBlue 10-19-2018 08:28 AM

Welcome, Lila!

Glad you joined us)

theVman31 10-19-2018 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome Lila, glad you joined too.

Hang tough John.
You can control your thoughts so keep them far from crumbling. Dive into some other activities and get some other help maybe a meeting or a group... Don't let your mind venture back to the alcoholism wasteland.

Beautiful afternoon here on the coast road...

Take care weekenders and hang tough.

MidnightBlue 10-19-2018 08:51 AM

Vinny, this is a truly emerald Ireland.

I remember when a kid I loved The Headless Horseman by Mayne Reid.

One of the characters was Irish and he appealed to St Patrick all day long.

MesaMan 10-19-2018 10:01 AM

Welp, after a ~850 Mile Trailer Towing slog across several States in 2 Days, we're all set up with somewhere to go here in the CA Desert. This now-nearly deserted Campground with Hot Springs is our local favorite. And, the Bathrooms are remodeled!

Yesterday was a Techno Work Day. The Trailer Thermostat pooped the Bed, so the Furnace and A/C were rendered inoperable. Not ideal when the temps today will hit 90 F [32 C]. So, I hit the InterWebz. Watched a few DIY Videos. Read some Tech Notes. From that, I figgered out how to adapt a neato House Digital Thermostat to the different Control Voltages and Circuits here in the Camp Trailer. No sparks flew, and MesaDog is nice & cool. So, yes, the Brain can recover from Decades of non-stop Ethanol consumption!

Below, see the Fall foliage change in Palm Springs yesterday. :13: And, a Link to the Tramway Webcam from up that same Mountain. After clicking on the Webcam Arrow, click on the Screen top right for a full Page view. The Tram Cars are 1 of 4 in the World that rotate, and it's one exciting ride up. Engineering Geek, here, has ridden 3 of them around the World. We're up against the Foothills at the upper center of the Webcam Image; right against the San Andreas Earthquake Fault Complex just over those Hills. Shake & bake.

~ Palm Springs Tramway Webcam ~

We're right near where this French Duo did this Music Vid with Susan Sarandon, so it's a bit of fun to watch yearly. The House is classic Midcentury Modern Architecture that abounds from when Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley lived here...
~ 'Fire' ~ Justice ~
https://i.postimg.cc/3w1yXZZL/Palm-Springs-1.jpg

MidnightBlue 10-19-2018 10:43 AM

Another great pic from Mesa. Thank you.

Ireland pictures stirred some memories and I bought the kindle version of the Headless Horseman at Amazon. $1.15 - great deal!

Going to enjoy.

theVman31 10-19-2018 10:56 AM

Hello Mesa Enjoy CA.
I will look up the book MB.

Goodnight weekenders.

DarklingSong 10-19-2018 12:19 PM

Many thanks Dee. I am in.

least 10-19-2018 12:33 PM

I am missing my sweet old man today. :(

https://i.postimg.cc/FHjnYnwf/Jack-in-the-grass.jpgupload pictures online

DarklingSong 10-19-2018 12:52 PM

((((Least))))

BigShoe 10-19-2018 01:00 PM

Ok I’m in. Just gotta go back to work for second shift then my weekend can start in earnest. Hugs least for missing your pup. Good looking dog.

Gilmer 10-19-2018 01:59 PM

(((((Least)))))

Gilmer 10-19-2018 02:13 PM

Hi, Lila, BigShoe, and DarklingSong!

It is terrific to see you again, John65! Hopefully we can help you save your bacon this weekend!

MantaLady 10-19-2018 02:29 PM

Welcome Lila! Hang in there kevlarsjal, keep an eye on yourself and don’t isolate! xx

Lasted a week on the juice fast but was almost raging with hunger so are going to re-work the plan. I also was so disappointed not getting the job that I needed some comfort food, something had to give so I turned to salt and pepper chicken wings rather than wine! I needs to look after my HALT’s first and foremost, I’ve only been sober for 4 months and 8 days and need to make sure I protect that and put recovery first.

I’ve been eating food for 5 days and I can really notice how it effects me healthwise, I don’t feel as good as I did and my skin isn’t as good as when I was juicing. So, to combat the hunger element I am going to have half portions of 6 different juices a day so I get a full range of fruit and veg nutrition. Have baked a small wholemeal loaf and added hemp protein powder, hemp seeds and ground linseed, turned out yummy. Going to have a slice toasted with a boiled egg for lunch each day and a small Greek feta salad in the evenings (minus the Olives...yuk!).

Should be easier to stick to...I hope! x

zoeydog 10-19-2018 03:22 PM

Ring Ring, Bimini! Thanks for sharing!
Welcome Lila. :grouphug:
Manta, I'm giggling over your juice experience … sorry, I know it's not funny to you. But juice for a whole week! Then chicken wings … gotta smile. But I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, and I agree with you about eating first to keep AV at bay!
Hang in there, John and Kevlar. You can do this … quick, go for a walk! Distract yourself!
Hello Gilmer, Mesa (great pic, yet again), VMan (I feel like I'm vacationing in Ireland … keep posting pics), Petals, BigShoe, MB, Mark, Darkling, Dee, and everyone else.

Me, I'm having a very quiet, all-Zoey evening. Feeding my soul after a long week. Long walk with the dogs on a beautiful fall evening, delicious dinner, and coming up: big bowl of popcorn and a good movie. In bed early, and tomorrow I'm gonna be unbeatable.:herewego

zoeydog 10-19-2018 03:40 PM

Least, I'm sorry I forgot to give you a hug. My old lab is deaf and nearly blind, and I'm just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible these days. So my heart goes out to you! What a beautiful dog … and I'm sure he was well-loved.