SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender 19- 23 April 2018 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426536-weekender-19-23-april-2018-a.html)

Lava256 04-20-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6865899)
What a beautiful post Dee....and yes, what a wonderful analogy for recovery.
And one that is very close to my own heart....my signature reflects the way I feel. And like you, I am proud of my scars....proud of the way that I am healing in the broken places....I like the woman who I am piecing together.

Building a library here too because I left all of my books in Australia. Dumb. Should have shipped them. But I love that books are cheaper here, and the library is taking beautiful shape.

Think I'm doing OK too. :)

Onto the weekend with all of you.... :grouphug:
So much love. xx

Awwww, VC, building a new library is wonderful. I wanted to ‘ship’ all my books and magazines ( not to blow my trumpet but I was a model in my 20s) from my mum’s house, which is roughly just about 20Kms from where I live now. But it somewhat felt wrong. I love going to my mum’s house and just remembering the person I used to be... the person who used to read those books.... Plus, I’m also slowly building my new library in my own house.

venuscat 04-20-2018 11:43 AM

:) So glad you are dear Lava...and by all means blow your own trumpet. :)
Being a model is pretty cool....so now we have two 'famous' girls on the thread....Aly was in a commercial...... :)

Gosh I love this thread.
Just thank you for being here all. :grouphug:

Lava256 04-20-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6867069)
:) So glad you are dear Lava...and by all means blow your own trumpet. :)
Being a model is pretty cool....so now we have two 'famous' girls on the thread....Aly was in a commercial...... :)

Gosh I love this thread.
Just thank you for being here all. :grouphug:

You’re the sweetest, you know that, VC? Just put a huge smile on my face. And at one of my lowest points... Reason I love SR... and the Weekender thread in particular. All you guys rock.

venuscat 04-20-2018 12:00 PM

Yeah.....not sure what it is about this thread.....but really, this is where I will come when I am struggling....just so much love and warmth and wisdom and strength. ♥♥

theVman31 04-20-2018 12:12 PM

Great OP D :)

Nothing but sunshine and great reading on this weeks weekender.

I like to read and some authors leave a bigger mark on me than others, Steinbeck, Ishiguro.... but my favorite book of all time, and always has been, is by the Irish author Patrick Kavanagh and is called Tarry Flynn.

"... Maybe Mary might call round...
And then I came to the haggard gate,
And I knew as I entered that I had come
Through fields that were part of no earthly estate."

I think it's a socio cultural melancholy but being from rural Ireland how can I not like it... :)

Count me in.
V.

lunar 04-20-2018 01:34 PM

venuscat 04-20-2018 01:39 PM

Love it. She is such a talent. No idea why she is not more revered here. :) ♥

goodbyeevan 04-20-2018 01:48 PM

Off work! Plans for tonight as the urge to get a six pack, kick back and smoke a bowl are strong.

Play the tape forward. It doesn't end with a six pack. It ends in a deep hole of depression and anxiety and a vicious cycle of withdrawals that I worked hard to break and I don't want to do it again.

Make a crap ton of cookies to eat and share.

Order pizza maybe?

Have a fire later and get marshmallows to roast.

Go to the CA meeting at 730 to be with people who are going through and have been through what I am dealing with. There are so many people not getting drunk and high today and I want to be with them!

Pick out a good movie to watch in bed and go to sleep knowing I'll wake up without a hangover or guilt or shame or a lingering argument that would surely result from me getting drunk.

I can get through today. Sippin on my blackberry lemonade and feeling better already. Love yall!

MidnightBlue 04-20-2018 02:17 PM

Evening, weekenders.

Goodbyeevan - Welcome! If you feel the urges - post! I don't remember who initially said it, that you can't drink until you have permission of at least 4 SR members to do it.

I've painted my nails myself after all. Now I am wearing Cherry Red on my nails.

For the next 9 days I am officially on vacations.

No exciting plans rather than to ease back into training and switch my mind completely off work. I desperately need breathing emotional space.

Love you, guys.

Have a good one.

saoutchik 04-20-2018 02:22 PM

A model! That's cool Lava, you're a new sober you now too.

I had to Google Patrick Kavanagh but he sounds really interesting. As a 15 year old I picked up Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five on the strength of its lurid title and was amazed that a book could be so multi-layered. A great gateway book for me.

I'm glad you're playing hardball with that AV goodbyeevan. I hope you have a grrreat evening. That goes for all of you.

Enjoy your vacation MidnightBlue!

Bit of a quiet Friday for me as my usual Crazy Golf friends are drinking tonight so I have skipped that. The warm weather has played a part in their decision which is rare enough here, especially in April so I cannot blame them.

saoutchik 04-20-2018 04:19 PM

OK bedtime for me. Have a grrreat Friday night!

Alysheba 04-20-2018 04:29 PM

I love this thread too. Very cool peeps. :wave:

PurpleKnight 04-20-2018 05:43 PM

Count me in Weekenders!! :grouphug:

This is my first full weekend off work in many months, so the plan is to kick back, watch plenty of the Stanley Cup Ice Hockey over the next few days.

Also have picked up a great chilli, garlic chicken recipe for tomorrow, got the ingredients today, so gonna get creative in the kitchen and relax on my Saturday!!

It's starting to feel a lot like spring here with some warmer weather . . . hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend!!

For those struggling, check in, post, there are many people here that care and want to help, you can do this!! :hug:

Gilmer 04-20-2018 07:04 PM

Hi, PK!

STDragon 04-20-2018 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight (Post 6867350)
Count me in Weekenders!! :grouphug:

This is my first full weekend off work in many months, so the plan is to kick back, watch plenty of the Stanley Cup Ice Hockey over the next few days....

Winnpeg jets soar thru the first round! Go Jets Go! Winnipeg has the best and the loudest fans!

3trees 04-20-2018 08:20 PM

Got off work from the restaurant. Usually pick up some wine and drink until 1-2am. Not tonight. Instead, I called the kids and told them to meet me outside when I got home.

Took them to Cold Stone Creamery. My son looked at me twice when I said "get whatever you want." We all got ice cream...$16 dollars worth. Still cheaper than two bottles of wine.

No hangover (except for maybe a sugar hangover)...no guilt....no stressed out kids worrying about their mom...no wondering what I did or said or wrote on social media.

This is so awesome.

Hope you all are having a great Friday.

G'night!

MidnightBlue 04-20-2018 10:08 PM

Morning, weekenders.

Just woke up and having coffee.

Looks like it's going to be a great day today. Though it's relatively cold.

Coffee.

See you)

MidnightBlue 04-20-2018 10:41 PM

Speaking about books, I love real books but I don't have enough space to keep them. So I read a lot of e-books and kindle. Plus I can read a lot while commuting.

I am currently reading the Martian (I haven't watched the movie yet) and was surprised about the style of the writing. I expected it to be some kind of heroic epos about a man conquering the hostile world and so on. But it's written with such a sense of humor. I am really enjoying it.

I think I will finally take my chance (in financial terms) and buy a decent e-book reader so that reading before bed doesn't mess up with my sleeping.

If anyone has an e-book reader I would appreciate your recommendations.

Time for my second cup of coffee.

See you.

saoutchik 04-20-2018 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Morning Weekenders.

I think today is likely to be that last of the good weather for a while.

MidnightBlue 04-20-2018 11:38 PM

I have this song on my list of favorite songs - my go-to when I need to put myself in better mood.

And I never knew that it was Avicii. I've never even heard of him till yesterday.

So talented and so young.