SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Don't throw away your money Weekender 5-7 May (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/409055-dont-throw-away-your-money-weekender-5-7-may.html)

MidnightBlue 05-07-2017 11:35 AM

Petals, I kicked sugar out about 4 years ago and don't remember exactly how much time it took to feel better. I also suffered from severe major depression and it was hard to separate what one from another.

All I can say that I don't regret it a bit.

I think people debate about harmful effect of sugar so much because it's society approved "getaway drug". Kind of last stand to get a quick pleasure fix)

saoutchik 05-07-2017 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth (Post 6447121)
Zero cares were given...

What's up BrendaChenowyth?

The last few days have started out grey and gloomy and ended in sunshine, rather nice.

It appears that tomorrow is Monday and even worse it is a working Monday:scorebad

Hey ho, another weekend not ruined by drink always gives me some satisfaction.

Soberwolf 05-07-2017 12:45 PM

Well said Sao

Just to say if anyone is in early recovery stay focused on that if you want to remove sugar do it some time into your sobriety from my experience sugar in early sobriety was a lifesaver and really helped with cravings ie ice cream or something sweet

BrendaChenowyth 05-07-2017 01:25 PM

Working at Edible Arrangements this week for the holiday. I will try not to eat too many mess ups, like when something falls off its skewer on the way to freezer and the chocolate hasn't set, we can't use it. :P But I will collect leftover pineapple from cutting out shapes.

BrendaChenowyth 05-07-2017 01:32 PM

My coworker called off for the third weekend in a row. He was here yesterday but called out today, and unfortunately I can't complain much because they did send someone to work for him.

Tetra 05-07-2017 01:45 PM

It was very sunny here today. I spent some of the day playing croquet with my dad and sister on the lawn, like lords and ladies of the manor! It was actually a fun way to spend some time. My father won the first two games and I won the last one. He said "I could see you loosening up by the beginninng of the third game". I know I am quite anxious and it probably does come across in the way I carry myself.

Anyway I returned from my walk this evening to find that Emmanuel Macron is the new president of France and not Marine Le Pen. Thank God a bit of good news at last because I was getting worried.

petals 05-07-2017 02:19 PM

Thanks guys.... some research is needed I think. Looks like that could be the last treat I have left....gone!!😂😂 food wise I mean.xx

Soberwolf 05-07-2017 02:34 PM

Time for bed for me I'm tired & i had a nap earlier that's good i guess

Night x

saoutchik 05-07-2017 02:36 PM

BC I had to Google Edible Arrangements, i'm glad it is not me working there, nothing would make it to the customers. Trivia the UK equivalent is called Sweet Embraces, hmmm.

I had a new food experience today - strawberries and mint, it was superb, I was really surprised.

Tetra 05-07-2017 03:35 PM

The drama never ever ends with my family.
Today wasn't a bad day. Yesterday was brutal.
My sister came back from wherever she was (she said Dublin but I don't know) with the news that the bank want to take back their house as the are in arrears. The bank actually sent a letter some time back that they were willing to reclaim the house and wipe off the debt. She was very eager to do that but her idiot ex wouldn't sign the papers. Now they just want it back. My mother hit the roof when she heard and the two of them were at it hammer and tongs when I got up. Anyway my parents decided to leave the house for a while. My mother asked me to go with them and leave my sis here to gather her thoughts. I was in two minds what to do: go with them and listen to my mother ranting and raving or stay behind and listen to sis giving out and slamming doors. I decided some fresh air would be beneficial so off we went.

I actually got to talk to my mother calmly when we had a cup of coffee. I told my dad that my sis breaks my heart. He said I was lucky and that "she broke our hearts many many times over the years". My mother actually said "I would rather she died than go back to that idiot". Sad, isn't it?

Back to work tomorrow. I am actually looking forward to it. I have my own things to do and I can't worry any more. My dad said "Yes. Focus on yourself. Just be nice to your sis when you can. Truthfully she is in a much darker place than you ever were".

That's my goal for the week. To try and be as cheery and helpful as I can to everyone I meet.

Gilmer 05-07-2017 03:45 PM

(((((((Tetra)))))))

Steely 05-07-2017 05:15 PM

Umm, is this right thread for saving, not wasting money? All I seem to read is people buying and eating food. Like, expensive food. I know money will be saved by fasting, but I don't think the fasting here is about saving money it's about losing weight and stuffing face. :).

Was in a doctors surgery once and decided to complete a crossword left by a previous patient. There was a 4 letter word needed to address the clue, "to not eat". The person before me had put, "diet" as the answer, when in fact the answer naturally, was "fast". I bet the previous patient was a woman.

So the crossword didn't work out for the previous patient just as this thread does not address its original purpose either.

Is there a poverty thread where everyone is not eating chocolate chip, butterscotch, ice cream, vanilla fudge prawn cake? Ugh! Might have to start one.

And yes, I saved on washing powder by buying the pack from the supermarket, not the corner store.

biminiblue 05-07-2017 05:38 PM

hah, Steely.

Scampi at Red Lobster restaurant = $22.00. At Bim's house, $1.93 ($2.60 with salad). Steak and eggs at the local breakfast joint = $14.95. Bim's sirloin beef and eggs? $2.46, including spinach, mushroom, cheese, potato, toast and butter. Maybe a couple bucks for two months' worth of hot sauce. Another 40 cents for coffee at my place. :) Refillable.

I just bought a half gallon of ice cream for $1.99. If I bought an ice cream dessert out it would be $4.00 for one serving: there are allegedly 12 servings in my container. (I won't get 12 servings out of it, but that's another story.)

Being sober and able to go to the store, plan my meal and cook it and leave the kitchen clean for tomorrow morning instead of having to eat out because hungover? Priceless.

STDragon 05-07-2017 05:43 PM

Hi Steely, we are also a social group, the topics in the thread often go in several directions. Not only do we discuss the OP but also look for support here and just say what's on our minds.

One could simply post "I'm eating cheese".

Sorry if I misunderstand your post.

STDragon 05-07-2017 05:48 PM

So we texted my dad this afternoon and invited him for supper to which he replied that he would come. (Dad is hard of hearing and prefers texting). Dinner time comes and dad has not shown up. We text saying the food is ready to which he replies that he's at my sisters thinking she had invited him. lol.

biminiblue 05-07-2017 05:50 PM

:lmao

Gilmer 05-07-2017 06:29 PM

Hi, Sterly!

Post whatever strikes your fancy (as long as it's not unkind or obscene). :)

BrendaChenowyth 05-07-2017 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by STDragon (Post 6447695)
So we texted my dad this afternoon and invited him for supper to which he replied that he would come. (Dad is hard of hearing and prefers texting). Dinner time comes and dad has not shown up. We text saying the food is ready to which he replies that he's at my sisters thinking she had invited him. lol.

awww!

BrendaChenowyth 05-07-2017 07:58 PM

I ate way too much today. The coworker that filled in cooked stuffed bell peppers and real mashed potatoes which are sort of a guilty pleasure.

BrendaChenowyth 05-07-2017 07:59 PM

Mary Kills People was pretty good tonight, just finishing up.
If you like medical dramas (light on the medical stuff, heavy on the drama) check it out.