SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It really does get better weekender 13-15 jan (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/403274-really-does-get-better-weekender-13-15-jan.html)

saoutchik 01-14-2017 10:43 AM

I glad your meeting was a pleasant surprise DBTD. Ihave not been troubled by stores that sell alcohol myself, it is people enjoying a drink (not drunks) on TV and cinema screens that trigger me

Great photo LadyBlue, going on that and the pics Ken Weasel has posted Maine is a beautiful part of the world, despite all the scary things that Stephen King writes about:lmao

The last Sherlock is on TV this evening so I will be making the most of it

Solarion 01-14-2017 10:43 AM

Had some good roast chicken with potato salad for lunch, and soon I will be the veg to go with that dish. Had a good cup of Sumatran coffee, too, but a nap is coming on anyway.

Extra free time = I can take a nap anytime. Extra money = I can buy a few "luxury" groceries that I normally wouldn't. It's nice to have my budget easing up a little so I'm not squeaking by paycheck to paycheck.

I normally don't go for this kind of thing very often, but this morning I specifically went out to get a couple things from the bakery at a local store, which ended up being a glazed lemon creme cake (similar to an angel-food cake, I think, and of course one should always think of Maggie Smith when the word "creme" comes along), as well as a maple-walnut coffeecake.

OK, naptime. Such is the life of leisure.

RayJay 01-14-2017 10:44 AM

I'm in for the weekend!

david46 01-14-2017 10:47 AM

So what's some things I can do on the weekend's to stay sober

PurpleKnight 01-14-2017 10:57 AM

Count me in Weekenders!! :grouphug:

Was working this morning and now settling in to relax on my Saturday, some green tea is on the boil!! :)

LadyBlue0527 01-14-2017 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by david46 (Post 6290389)

Hi David, what are the things you like to do that don't involve drinking? Did you have anything previously that you did? Do you like to read, watch movies?

Here's a great thread that was written with some ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Msco 01-14-2017 11:06 AM

I'd say sports during the day is perfect (especially something you can do for a long time). At night board games or maybe work on a project you've been wanting to do (learn photoshop, write a blog post, look into investment ideas, learn how to play an instrument, etc..)? Depends if you want to be alone or with others.

Ina123 01-14-2017 11:20 AM

Day 14 here. 2 Weeks!!!!

Today I canceled on a birthday party tonight that I had RSVP’d to over the holidays. It’s at a bar close by and although I did debate the idea “I can just go and not drink, right? “ I ultimately decided that it’s best not to test myself so early.
I told the guest of honor that I was drying out after the holidays. Not because I’m planning on drinking again, I’m just a pretty private person and prefer to keep my sobriety to myself and only a select close people at the moment.

Now I’m going to spend the afternoon picking up some snacks and settle down for a quiet evening of writing☺

David, things to keep you sober:

Watch a movie
Read a book.
Exercise
Write in a journal
Crossword puzzles.
Find a new recipe and give it a go.
Clean around the house
Go for a walk…maybe take some photos.
Contact an old friend on FB for a chat…or go old school and write someone a letter! (Who doesn’t love getting a real letter?!?)
Browse through this forum and read stories and post!

Sao – I also find watching people enjoying a drink on TV or a movie a trigger. I romanticize it sooooo much....when really....nothing romantic about it at all!!! I used to love Woody Allen movies with wine....gotta stay away from them for awhile!!!
P.S. Love the pic and the story behind it….creeeeepy.

I hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

saoutchik 01-14-2017 11:26 AM

Welcome to Weekenders david46. In early recovery I would cook elaborate or unfamiliar meals which required a degree of concentration (I am no chef) and so would distract me from thoughts of drinking.

Going to see a film is good too

I was getting ahead of myself mentioning Sherlock - it is tomorrow

PurpleKnight 01-14-2017 01:22 PM

Heard this tune on the radio on the drive home from work this afternoon, they were having a George Michael tribute.

Anyone struggling this Weekend . . . when the river seems too deep or the mountain too high . . . there is support here on SR!! :grouphug:

saoutchik 01-14-2017 01:37 PM

Welcome to the thread Msco!

STDragon 01-14-2017 02:00 PM

Come and post on the site more often. Lets us know how your doing, what your plans are, what your thinking, what's going on around you. etc. etc.... hang out here....

saoutchik 01-14-2017 02:08 PM

STDragon, you know you missed shotgun don't you:)

saoutchik 01-14-2017 02:49 PM

It is not late 10:50pm but I don't think I can stay awake much longer so I shall leave you all with a tune

WhiskeyBent 01-14-2017 03:22 PM

NFL is on. Good games,

PurpleKnight 01-14-2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent (Post 6290699)
NFL is on. Good games,

Falcons currently in the driving seat in the first game, and then onwards to Mr Brady!! :herewego

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...ba&oe=591352B9

WhiskeyBent 01-14-2017 03:33 PM

Atlanta is enjoying home field advantage and Seattle injuries piling up. Maybe Russell has some magic in him for a comeback?

Soberandhealthy 01-14-2017 06:01 PM

My father was a very violent man. One time I came from my friend house at 8 o'clock pm and he wait on the door and greet me with a slap in my face that throw me to the ground. He was angry he ask where I was I got up and said at my friends I was not drinking that day. I started drinking at six years old just to scape. Funny thing I love this man he ruined my life and I still love him. Maybe because I am a masochist and a alcoholic I don't know how it feels to feel good to be happy to be normal to be a person not to feel that you are less than.

Soberandhealthy 01-14-2017 06:04 PM

I was 15 years old at the time and don't really need anyone pitty

Solarion 01-14-2017 07:06 PM

Dear SAH, I'm glad you have this self-understanding about what's behind your drinking.

I believe in a Creator of the Cosmos -- it just seems more likely than not.

I also believe there is a constant gentle current in the directions of growth and healing and creativity that can help us if we just allow it.

Wishing you the best for your healing and recovery!

:grouphug: