SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It really does get better weekender 13-15 jan (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/403274-really-does-get-better-weekender-13-15-jan.html)

Upstairs 01-12-2017 07:31 AM

Thanks Saoutchic and Venecia, I reckon I'm in for the weekend!

petals 01-12-2017 07:45 AM

As I was so upset about my mistake last weekend I emailed the company- here's their reply 'Just to let you know the alcohol content in our*Classic kitchen pork strogonoff*is 0.44% per meal before cooking.'
I feel a bit better knowing this. However I will not be eating it again!
X

Upward2Enlightenment 01-12-2017 09:14 AM

Count me in ... better late than never.

Wonderful intro Sao and Ven!

saoutchik 01-12-2017 09:15 AM

Welcome to Weekenders dontburntheday and August252015.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend dontburntheday, I would make sure you always have a glass of something non alcoholic in your hand and keep it reasonably well topped up as it might be awkward refusing a drink at a funeral

Petals i'm glad there was no harm done

It has been raining all day here, I may need to rent a submarine to get home

saoutchik 01-12-2017 09:16 AM

Oh and please don't thank me for the Opening Post, it was all Venecia's work

Trees39 01-12-2017 09:39 AM

Friday morning, off to work. I feel hopeful this morning. It's a nice feeling.

Venecia 01-12-2017 10:16 AM

Hi, all,

Thanks for the kind words in response to the opening post. Thanks to Sao for turning over the real estate in the opener and for being such a supportive and steadfast presence on the Weekenders. A class act.

It meant a lot to me to be able to share that. I went sober on my own, joining SR two months later -- and desperately needing the support and wisdom of others. The message that the hardest part is behind you is something it would have helped me to hear in the earliest days.

But it helped me to share. :)

Hope this weekend is off to a healthy start for all.

Upward2Enlightenment 01-12-2017 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 6287629)
It has been raining all day here, I may need to rent a submarine to get home

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...albumcover.jpg

saoutchik 01-12-2017 11:08 AM

It is snowing now

dontburntheday 01-12-2017 11:11 AM

Thanks Sao, that's a good idea and I will bring something with me. Thank you for the condolences.

Michael66 01-12-2017 11:18 AM

Count me in. Will someone keep a good seat free for me. These Aussies and New Zealanders are always taking the best seats first.

LadyBlue0527 01-12-2017 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dontburntheday (Post 6287383)
He would be so happy that I am taking steps to beat this thing.

I'm sorry for your loss dbtd. Hang on to that thought above because it's useful. Many times when my head went in the wrong direction I think of my mom and dad and how pleased they would be at what I'm doing with my life now. It's a way to honor their memory.

Stick close this weekend. Come here often. We're all here for you.

Olive1 01-12-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 6287631)
Oh and please don't thank me for the Opening Post, it was all Venecia's work

Thank you Venecia!!
:)

saoutchik 01-12-2017 12:47 PM

Welcome to the Thread Michael66!

Tetra 01-12-2017 01:04 PM

I don't feel very bright tonight.
My Grandmothers will is still far from being settled - over a year and a half after her death. My mother and father met one of her sisters today. My uncle has been going around saying terrible things about my parents - which are just not true - and the family seems to be torn in two. My father has a legal background and he said my mother was not signing anything until he read it over. When he pointed out the mistakes to the solicitor that was when things got really bad. My dad spent some time today writing a letter about slander and whatnot. To be fair my mother drives me mental but my dad has always been a decent man. If he says something is wrong, then it is wrong.

The only place I find a break from my own mind is when I'm at work. One of the registrars came to me today and was looking at me closely. He said 'you look like you need a coffee. Shall I get you a coffee?' I said 'oh no. I'm fine thanks'. He said "you sure? I wouldn't get coffee for anyone else but you are such a nice person".

How come I can be nice to other people but not to myself?

Does everyone come from a messed up family or is it just me?

It's nice that I've finally found a job where I fit in and people seem to like me. The real me. Not the fake me who tried to cover up my mostly imaginary failings with alcohol.

JackDsMissus 01-12-2017 01:17 PM

Drinking decaf tea with biccies on "thirsty thursday" ... Priceless :winter9

petals 01-12-2017 01:55 PM

A bit of snow and hail here too.
Bedtime now. Night all. Xx

saoutchik 01-12-2017 02:03 PM

For your own piece of mind Tetra I would not let yourself get too drawn in to any legal conflict over your grandmothers will. Of course you can be supportive of your mum and dad (even if your mum does drive you mad) but the solicitors will arrive at an outcome eventually and it will be based on your grandmothers wishes. Even next of kin relatives will not be able change that. You are definitely not the only one to have messed up parents either, I have never posted about mine because to dwell on them would induce madness in me. I'm glad things are going well at work for you. Now you have been there for a decent amount of time I expect a lot of your duties are becoming second nature

JDM - I enjoy green tea at the weekends. I have not been able to make the leap to decaf tea on weekdays

Dee74 01-12-2017 02:17 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss DBTD

Trees39 01-12-2017 03:03 PM

Friday lunchtime thoughts of drinking. I'm stressed a bit and everything is going well. I'm not going to drink. I've left the office to eat something and just people watch.
I read the serenity prayer today. You know, it's the first time I understood the first few lines.
Mental.
I gotta accept the things I can change.
Drinking causes my physical and emotional pain. I need to accept that.