SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Lost everything (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/392938-lost-everything.html)

Bekindalways 07-05-2016 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Volshen (Post 6028738)
Day 22.

I was at a restaurant last night and briefly felt irritated I couldn't have a drink but I quickly remembered what drinking was really like for me.

For me a part of this is perception. If I feel deprived I'm likely to drink. If I feel like I have been freed from a self imposed prison, I feel grateful.

It is still very early and I've got a lot of work to do on my thought processes to ensure I never go back to drinking. I've been going to A.A meetings for inspiration but am still searching for an agnostic sponsor. The meetings are still helpful though. The daily check in / reading here helps a lot.

I am dealing with responsibilities I neglected for a long time .. credit cards, a search for a full time job (working part time right now but need full time).. and other important things .. it's stressful.

When I have been getting stressed I've been googling positive quotes, watching my favorite motivational speakers, anything it takes to get back in a positive mindset. That's another thing I think is important .. staying positive, having a sense of hope.

For the most part I've been looking at this one day at a time ... I wake up and I think of what fellow SR member "ICanDoBetter" ends their posts with "And today I will not drink"

But I also have been picturing myself years down the road with a good life, drinking far behind me.

Thank you for reading.

I'm really impressed with what you said here Volshen. You do seem to be doing the work of recovery by digging deeper than just not drinking.

Keep it up.

Volshen 07-06-2016 08:54 AM

Day 24.

Volshen 07-07-2016 07:51 AM

Day 25.

Heading to a job interview in a couple hours. This is for a full time job. Could really get me back on my feet financially.

Soberwolf 07-07-2016 08:59 AM

Good luck & congratulations

Volshen 07-08-2016 11:11 AM

Day 26.

hopepraylove 07-08-2016 11:18 AM

Keep it up! How was the interview?

Volshen 07-08-2016 11:40 AM

I was told I will receive a call next week with an answer. So I'm not really sure how it went.

I know some companies do wait and think it over, while others know they don't really want you but don't want to be rude so they say they are thinking it over.

We'll see.

Thank you for the support everyone.

Volshen 07-10-2016 05:23 AM

I didn't post yesterday but I'm fine.

Day 28.

FreeOwl 07-10-2016 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Volshen (Post 6037880)
I didn't post yesterday but I'm fine.

Day 28.

We'll done, V

Keep it going.

Volshen 07-11-2016 06:21 AM

Day 29.

Behappy1 07-11-2016 06:32 AM

Congrats!

Volshen 07-11-2016 06:33 AM

Thank you.

Gottalife 07-11-2016 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Volshen (Post 6028738)
Day 22.

I've been going to A.A meetings for inspiration but am still searching for an agnostic sponsor. The meetings are still helpful though. The daily check in / reading here helps a lot.

I am just wondering why an agnostic sponsor is so important. What bothers me is while you are looking for a characteristic in a sponsor which is completely irrelavent to recovery, you are not progressing in the program. Going to meetings is not the AA program of recovery.

I came into AA an agnostic. I was so desperate for the misery to stop I could care less about the religious or other beliefs or lifestyle of a sponsor. I needed someone who could speak in a way I could understand and lead me through the steps so I could recover.

Your posts got me thinking about my sponsor. I have no idea what his religious beliefs were. He was my sponsor for two years and in that time, as I worked through my steps, I formed my own conclusions on the subject based in my experience. He never tried to influence me at all in that area, just encouraged me to follow my conscience. As it happens I came out of the experience a gnostic. Gnostic means knowledge through experience. I had my own personal experience with the God of my understanding.

I am still not religious and often wonder if I should be posting in the secular section. But I have this belief based in experience. And the experience came through having an open mind.

Step two only requires a willingness to believe, and though I didn't believe I was willing, if I got some evidence.

My suggestion is to forget about an agnostic sponsor and look for one who has an open mind, will help you with the steps, and allow you to have your own experiences. There are plenty of them around.

Volshen 07-11-2016 08:01 AM

I think I will be able to understand an atheist / agnostic sponsor better. Many of the steps use the word god. But an atheist / agnostic who has succeeded in the program will know how to get through those steps in a way that would make sense to me.

I've been told to substitute the word god for "Group of Drunks" .. to make A.A itself my higher power, but even that doesn't make sense to me when it comes to certain steps.

Thank you for the response.

Volshen 07-12-2016 02:58 AM

Day 30.

Soberwolf 07-12-2016 03:32 AM

:c011:

Volshen 07-14-2016 05:58 PM

Haven't posted but still doing well. Day 32.

Hevyn 07-14-2016 06:03 PM

Relieved to hear that, V. :)

Volshen 07-16-2016 12:03 PM

Day 34.

Things are getting better. I got the full time job I have been looking for. I will be able to get a new apartment and my girlfriend says she is ready to move in with me.

She should have waited longer ... but she doesn't understand addiction and thinks because I have never made it this long without a drink before that I'm okay now.

She's taking a risk and doesn't really realize it .. but I'm not going to say "Hey, maybe you should wait a while longer, see how things go."

Just going to have to make sure I continue on the sober road and then it won't matter.

Soberwolf 07-16-2016 01:06 PM

Congratulations Volshen

Stellar45 07-16-2016 02:03 PM

Be careful

Wow, so good to see you break new ground in terms of sober time. Please be careful. I hope the relationship doesn't throw you. Good luck.

Volshen 07-19-2016 08:12 AM

Checking in .. everything is okay still.

Dee74 07-19-2016 03:22 PM

good to hear from you Volshen :)

D

sugarbear1 07-19-2016 03:49 PM

Can you attempt to work those steps and stop insisting there is no god or higher power? Those steps helped me see MY behavior patterns.....

Volshen 07-19-2016 05:25 PM

It is good to gain awareness of our behavior patterns, but I'm likely going to have to find another way to do that. I am unable to believe in a god or a higher power due to lack of evidence.

I still enjoy the A.A meetings and I hear really good things, but I just don't see the steps happening at this point. I thought I was going to have an agnostic sponsor but he is busy.

Hawkeye13 07-19-2016 06:29 PM

What about this?

AA Agnostica

Volshen 07-20-2016 11:22 AM

Thank you for the link.

It's a couple more weeks before I officially start my new job so I tried to make some extra money today at what was advertised as a recycling center. I assumed it was old canned food cans, cardboard, stuff like that.

Nope.. Turned out to be bags and bags of beer cans with beer splashing up on my face and arms as I emptied the bags on to the conveyer. I started getting very stressed out and wanting to drink.

I can't drink ever ... Left the job early.. Will not be going back.

The new job I start in 2 weeks is to do with shoes not beer lol.

tomsteve 07-20-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Volshen (Post 6052756)
It is good to gain awareness of our behavior patterns, but I'm likely going to have to find another way to do that. I am unable to believe in a god or a higher power due to lack of evidence.

I still enjoy the A.A meetings and I hear really good things, but I just don't see the steps happening at this point. I thought I was going to have an agnostic sponsor but he is busy.

theres evidence everywhere of a higher power, youre just not looking in the right places.
you think there isn't a higher power? isn't alcohol a higher power?

you think a higher power of any nature doesn't have a group of drunks sittin in a room trying to help another alcoholic? those drunks all just magically got sober?

you think its all you keeping you sober? think just coincidence there were bags of beer cans at your new job? that couldn't have been a higher power tellin ya something?

I read evidence of a higher power in this thread.

Volshen 07-23-2016 12:30 PM

I've been reading SR every day but not posting. I'm still doing good.

Soberwolf 07-23-2016 12:44 PM

Good to hear bud keep up the good work