SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   02/08/16 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/384653-02-08-16-a.html)

BD84 02-08-2016 06:45 AM

02/08/16

It no longer needs to stop but has to stop. After several good days at times and weeks at times just to fall back in the same old routine I know now is the time. My wife deserves better. My body deserves better.

Plure 02-08-2016 06:50 AM

Congrats on the new sobriety date. Mine is just a few days ago, 02/04/16. This disease we share sucks, but having others to go through it with is very helpful.

Soberwolf 02-08-2016 07:26 AM

Have you got a plan ?

BD84 02-08-2016 07:43 AM

My plan is to diet and exercise and also find joy in not drinking and not taking it to esxteems when I do. I am not a daily drinker. I had slight withdrawls when I was drinking 5 days a week when trying to sleep the first few nights. Those no longer persist but I still take drinking to extreems when I do drink so I know its time to stop. Hangovers suck and I dont want another one. Not remembering sucks and I dont want that ever again also.

The relationships I have that often involve drinking will change and thats scarry since some are close family, but they will just have to change.

Chinaski 02-08-2016 08:00 AM

February 8 is a great date for a sobriety date. Hope you'll join us in the class of February 16 thread here. It's really helping me so far this month.

least 02-08-2016 08:02 AM

I'm glad you've decided to get sober. :)

JD 02-08-2016 08:20 AM

"and not taking it to esxteems when I do". Most of us find that very hard and it's much easier to just stop drinking and take that option out of your life. But I'm glad you're trying to stay sober in the man mean time

BD84 02-08-2016 08:54 AM

I struggle with it to so either A.) I will quit drinking to get sloppy or B.) I will just quit.

I am hoping for A but am finally ready to do one or the other. The first few weeks will be B.

Thumpalumpacus 02-08-2016 09:14 AM

Try a few months sober, and see if you like yourself better.

doggonecarl 02-08-2016 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BD84 (Post 5785544)
After several good days at times and weeks at times just to fall back in the same old routine ...

Part of recovery is the creation and maintenance of new routines. This involves change. BIG CHANGE. If you aren't changing the old routines, they are easy to return to.

doggonecarl 02-08-2016 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by BD84 (Post 5785659)
My plan is to diet and exercise and also find joy in not drinking and not taking it to esxteems when I do.

So you plan on drinking, you just don't plan on overdoing it?

That, BD, is a lousy plan.

Quit completely. Never drink again. Believe me, it's easier than the charade of thinking you can control your drinking.

Dee74 02-08-2016 02:11 PM

If we could drink and 'not overdo it' very few of us would be here BD.

You're fighting for your life here - a wishy washy plan hoping to be maybe kinda sorta sober is no good.

A plan's not hard to make.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

why not commit to some real change BD? :)

PurpleKnight 02-08-2016 03:35 PM

Welcome back BD!! You can do this!! :)

secretchord 02-08-2016 04:52 PM

Congrats.

BD84 02-09-2016 05:40 AM

Day 2 and I feel great. Sleep was restless for a while of course but what I did get was great and my body is not shocked by the toxins this morning.

I have commited to 2 weeks with 0 alcohol. After that if I find it not possible to drink sociably then I will be taking some of you guys advice. I have made the calim I am doing it before but feeling different this time.

I deserve better. My wife deserves better. I never intend to have another withdrawl symptom. I never intend to not remember a thing due to liquor.

Feeling good. Thanks guys n gals.

ScottFromWI 02-09-2016 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BD84 (Post 5787510)
I have commited to 2 weeks with 0 alcohol. After that if I find it not possible to drink sociably then I will be taking some of you guys advice.

You already know you can't drink sociably, go back and read your old posts. You don't need our advice to see that, you have hard evidence from your own failed attempts at doing so.

It's great that you are making these changes, but it's simply your addiction telling you that you might be able to somehow drink "repsonsibly" again some day. Most of us have tried it, multiple times, and it always fails, every single time. I hope you can keep up your current focus and realize that staying sober is the best solution long term.

BD84 02-09-2016 06:11 AM

Scott,

This will be the last attempt if failed. I talked a big game before then always went on back to that liquor store. I dont want to go back. I dont even want to ever be drunk again. I am scared of it. I am scared or what it made me. This time will be different. I can feel it.

Want a beer? Sure. Sounds delicious.
Want a screwdriver? $/&@ No! Want me to have 8? Thats what will happen.

ScottFromWI 02-09-2016 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by BD84 (Post 5787565)

This will be the last attempt if failed..

Not sure I understand...do you mean you are going to make one more attempt at "controlled drinking" after a short period of not drinking, or are you attempting total sobriety as a long term/forever goal?

JD 02-09-2016 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BD84 (Post 5787565)
Scott,

This will be the last attempt if failed. I talked a big game before then always went on back to that liquor store. I dont want to go back. I dont even want to ever be drunk again. I am scared of it. I am scared or what it made me. This time will be different. I can feel it.

Want a beer? Sure. Sounds delicious.
Want a screwdriver? $/&@ No! Want me to have 8? Thats what will happen.

Believe me, you'll want 8 beers just like you wanted 8 screwdrivers. Alcohol is alcohol. Doesn't matter what it's in.

BD84 02-09-2016 06:47 AM

Detoxing and intending to never get sloppy again. I wont touch a sip so long as I feel any AV. The AV not only says drink today but says keep going and going and going. Its the drinking to get drunk that is going to stop.

The thought of just saying no for the rest of my life sucks. People know whats up then and as far as now this is between my wife and I and you guys.