SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My long overdue admission (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/376756-my-long-overdue-admission.html)

Mumma 10-04-2015 04:15 AM

My long overdue admission

First time here, I spent hours reading your posts, and it has made me feel empowered, and just maybe I can stay sober too. My love is wine. I drink every weekend ( full binger) 2 bottles per sitting. If I can make an excuse to drink during the week I will and it's the same outcome. I can never just have one. I have tried so hard to be a social drinker but I have to admit I am an alcoholic. I have had too many regrets to mention and more hangovers I care to remember. I have been wanting to be sober for years now but because I can control the days I drink, I think it's ok but it's not, I still can not control the amount I drink. I have been blacking out for over 25 years now. People know me as a drinker ( drunk) which I hate to admit. So I going to change this. I have started counselling and trying to deal with my demons. I know this is going to be tough. But I will keep reading your posts to keep me focused and inspired. I no longer want to think about drinking anymore. It has consumed me for to long.

ast1 10-04-2015 04:38 AM

Welcome to SR!! Acceptance is a big step. It's hard to face our addictions. But we can and in time we concore. .

Rar 10-04-2015 04:44 AM

Welcome to SR Mumma. It's great that you're already reading posts and educating yourself. SR is a great community. You will find a wealth of information here from accumulated years of sobriety. Stay close and check in often. :)

Verdantia 10-04-2015 05:41 AM

Hi, Mumma! SR is a wonderful place to come for help and support. I wish you the best-sobriety is worth the fight

Mountainmanbob 10-04-2015 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mumma (Post 5584706)

I have started counselling and trying to deal with my demons.

God helps us to put up the good fight.
If, we do our part.
We have admitted that we are alcoholic
thus we must stay sober for the good life to begin.

MB

InTheEnd 10-04-2015 05:47 AM

Welcome! I loved my wine too....but it didn't love me back :(

You can do it! Stay here and keep reading and posting. It truly will help and everyone here is wonderful.

Bird615 10-04-2015 05:49 AM

Welcome to SR, Mumma!
Keep reading and posting.
You've found a great place to get support and information.

IOAA2 10-04-2015 05:52 AM

Hi and welcome.
Your self honesty and accepting the fact you cannot drink in safety one day at a time is a huge step in the right direction as too many have difficulty acknowledging the facts.

My start began before the internet was a word and there was only one successful organization in town. Today in my rural area there are more than 200 meetings a week offering help to alcoholics.
This site also has much excellent advice if used on a daily basis.

Many of us forget what got us to this point and slide back and give up with miserable circumstance the result.

BE WELL

Londonlucy 10-04-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mumma (Post 5584706)
First time here, I spent hours reading your posts, and it has made me feel empowered, and just maybe I can stay sober too. My love is wine. I drink every weekend ( full binger) 2 bottles per sitting. If I can make an excuse to drink during the week I will and it's the same outcome. I can never just have one. I have tried so hard to be a social drinker but I have to admit I am an alcoholic. I have had too many regrets to mention and more hangovers I care to remember. I have been wanting to be sober for years now but because I can control the days I drink, I think it's ok but it's not, I still can not control the amount I drink. I have been blacking out for over 25 years now. People know me as a drinker ( drunk) which I hate to admit. So I going to change this. I have started counselling and trying to deal with my demons. I know this is going to be tough. But I will keep reading your posts to keep me focused and inspired. I no longer want to think about drinking anymore. It has consumed me for to long.

Hi Mumma. I think you and I must be twins! Wow, reading your post is like reading my life, it is honestly exactly the same, though recently my sitting has increased to nearly 3 bottles. I to am known as a drinker, friends say "she'll drink you under the tabke", or "make sure you have plenty of wine in if she visits", and like you years of blackouts. I used to be able to go days without but that also became a challenge, and I know that when I do I drink to oblivion. I looked on here for weeks, even months and took the courage on Thursday to go sober (yet again), so I am really new to this and it is a hourly struggle. Well done on counselling and coming on here, it is great and in the short time I have been here the difference these people have made to me is priceless. Good luck and welcome.

Dee74 10-04-2015 05:59 AM

Welcome to SR Mumma :)

do check out our Class of October support thread too while you're here :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2015-a-9.html
D

Inchworm 10-04-2015 06:13 AM

Welcome , mumma!

TroyW 10-04-2015 06:24 AM

Welcome to SR mumma. You'll find loads of support here. :)

My mom could have written exactly what you did, and if she ever did that, I would cry for joy. Hope you stick around.

biminiblue 10-04-2015 06:34 AM

Welcome, mumma.

Congratulations on deciding to take back your life. Keep reading and posting!

Here is the link to the October Class thread. We're glad you're here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2015-a.html

emme99 10-04-2015 06:37 AM

Hi & welcome Mumma :)
I am glad you are here.

dru1085 10-04-2015 06:41 AM

Hey Mum.. welcome to SR .. glad to have ya for sure. Thanks for sharing your story . Your right , reading others stories and reaching out for advice and help , helps A LOT.

I drank heavily for 8 years or so.. and decided to get clean... I am now 2 weeks sober and feel great!!! You can do it , just put your mind to it and give it 100%. You'd be amazed you can enjoy your life just as much being sober. Early stages that wine will be telling you otherwise. Start slow with short term goals like 10 20 30 days , one day at a time .

Cheers

Dru -

BringingBackB 10-04-2015 06:54 AM

Welcome to SR Mumma :)

On The Road 10-04-2015 07:02 AM

Hi mumma. You can do this!

Dharma33 10-04-2015 07:04 AM

Welcome to SR. Mumma!

Very glad you found us- this is a wonderful place. I woke up one day and decided to break off my relationship with wine. That was 4 1/2 months ago, and all I can say is that the benefits of becoming sober are nothing short of amazing.

You can do it! The start is not taking that first drink. All the best to you- and hope to see you often!

Tc4ever 10-04-2015 07:08 AM

Welcome mum. You are here with a lot of good people who knows exactly what your going through.

SoberLeigh 10-04-2015 07:58 AM

Welcome to SR, Mumma; glad you found us and have been reading posts; there's lots of very useful information here and many caring people.

Wine was my poison, too; I couldn't imagine a life without it until I couldn't imagine a life with it. It became a nightmare.

The good news is you can leave it behind, move in to sobriety and recovery, and a much better way to live.

Nice to meet you.