SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Worst hangover of my life ! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371345-worst-hangover-my-life.html)

AliveSoul 07-10-2015 01:50 PM

You tried to moderate and it didn't work. At least you know that now and can move forward and onwards away from that idea. Fresh start , different outlook and a new lesson.
One day at a time. Tomorrow will be better and the next day even better. Go for it!!!

thenewguy 07-10-2015 02:20 PM

I am praying for you, and keeping you in my thoughts. I remember my last hangover, and it scared me into quitting for good 22 months ago.

You CAN pick up the pieces again.

Kind regards.

afloatsober 07-10-2015 02:41 PM

Wendy, remember it like yesterday and never want to go back there. Each time i relapsed it was worse and never once worth the hour of escape that i thought i needed.
I hope that you can accept that the 'good ole days' are well and truly over where booze is concerned and that you will never have them back again.
It just don't work like it used to and can't again.
It will only ever bring loss, misery and hopelessness once a certain line is crossed.
Sober has been the toughest but most rewarding experience of my life.
But you need to be in it to win it.
Hope and pray that you can get back.
GX

Nuudawn 07-10-2015 03:10 PM

I wish I was on my laptop rather than the public library computer...cuz I know I saved a pic you once sent me..I'm sure it was you. It was a pic of a white mouse or hamster in his pajamas in bed with some caption about having to get up sooner or later (my description is not doing it justice).

There are some times a lot of battles lost in this war...I know...I've lost my fair share..but you're still here to get up and fight for the light another day.

I'm just glad you're still here when I've come creepin' back.

Dee74 07-10-2015 03:52 PM

Hi Snooz

I'm sorry you're still struggling. I appreciate your public service here in sharing this here.
I wish hangovers were enough to keep us sober for good but they never were for me.

I think you need to accept that, for whatever reason, this time is not like last time...

you can't stop on your own, Snooz.
You need a plan - and a bloody good one at that.

Lying to your kids and to your folks is not where any of us want to be...and it's just ammo for those who already have resentments against us, yeah?

I want you to find the real Wendy again.

The first step is deciding what are you prepared to do to make that happen?

D

Tetra 07-10-2015 03:53 PM

I would like to thank you.
I don't really know you but I had a relapse around this time last year and I remember it all too well.
I am in the best place I have been in. I have a job and I have turned my life around. I have a job now and I am not drinking.
My family trust me enough that they are going on holiday this weekend and I will be house sitting. Ironically I have had thoughts of drinking but now I am not going to.
I want to thank you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers x

Lady3 07-10-2015 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ (Post 5459989)
IF THIS HELPS JUST ONE PERSON , ITS WORTH BEING GRAPHIC

I have just experienced & am still experiencing the worst hangover of my life.

Thinking I could moderate drinking after 2 years of sobriety was an absolute lie I told myself.

Just think before you pick up that first drink , what could be awaiting you tomorrow and yes even the day after!

The waking then sussing out how bad you are going to feel.
Yep , I knew instantly it was gonna be bad .

The griping pain , diarreah, dry vomitting on and off all day long , no respite.
Impending doom , with the heart pumping so hard it pounds upon my pillow & feels like it's gonna burst out of my chest. The restless jumpy legs , the fear I may just lie here & die as it feels like that anyhow.
Dry mouth , more horribly gripey bowel pains, more diarreah .The desperation to just sleep it off knowing that sleep will be elusive. Time goes so slow, it's excruciating.

ITS DISGUSTING . I should have known this was coming. I just kept pushing it that bit further!

& the very worst part . My Mum & Dad dropped in for an impromptu visit ! Why today , oh god why !

I look like crap. I had to come up with another lie , I love them dearly but desperately needed them to leave me to my suffering.

ITS JUST NOT WORTH THIS AGONY :-(

no matter how far along we get into our sobriety or if we are newly into it , always take yourself back to how your worst hangover.

NO MORE !

Today is my lesson , tomorrow is my new life

Xxx

I relapsed to 😳 Been sick in bed going through the same for two days, barely managed to shower about an hour ago, heart hurts, massive headache, havent been breathing right, same as you described, we have to make it, youre not alone, hang in there, much love...

Venecia 07-10-2015 04:22 PM

Wendy, can you make arrangements to go inpatient?

strategery 07-10-2015 05:52 PM

Snoozy-your words helped me today. Thank you.

I am very worried with seeing you struggle so much as of late. You absolutely have to be proactive and do everything possible to get yourself sober again since it will only get worse with the more time that passes. Make a plan and stick to it. It's rough in the beginning. Do everything you can to ride out those first 2 weeks by making a plan that doesn't allow for you to drink. After this, you should have some more sold footing. :hug:

thomas11 07-10-2015 06:19 PM

This thought has never entered my mind, yet makes complete sense, thank you Dee.

Lying to your kids and to your folks is not where any of us want to be...and it's just ammo for those who already have resentments against us, yeah?

Hevyn 07-10-2015 06:19 PM

Hi Snoozy :hug:

My very last hangover was the same as you're experiencing. I never picked up again, but it took me far too long to reach that point. For decades I thought it was just a matter of willpower. We know better now. We can't keep torturing our bodies that way. It's no fun anymore - nothing in it for us. I believe this is the end of your misery, Wendy. :)

FreeOwl 07-10-2015 06:28 PM

Thanks for helping me stay sober today Snooz, with this reminder of what it's really like.

Every story here like this one gives me yet another piece of armor, ammo, defense against the lies of romantic alcoholic thinking.

No thanks!

When you've put this hangover and horrible feelings behind you, you'll be even more sure than ever that sobriety is the way to go.

For over a year and a half I've been free from this sort of misery, and YOU TOO will be free.

Sobriety is the way to go!!

#soberliferocks

SnoozyQ 07-10-2015 07:25 PM

Free owl :hug: I am so glad it helped you to stay sober today.

Hi everyone , thanks:kiss:

I managed to get myself off to work at 6.30 am. I'm still not right but better than yesterday.

This will stay with me for a looooong time xxx

Keep sober, stay well, my darling friends , you have helped me more than you will ever know

Wendy

:Val004:

Wholesome 07-10-2015 07:36 PM

I'm glad you're feeling better Snoozy. I've had some unbelievable hangovers myself.... the kind where you gasp yourself awake in terror and then just hang in limbo for hours unable to sleep or cope. Waves of memories and anxiety coming and going throughout the day. Never want to have another one of those ever again.

I really hope you get yourself back on track. You deserve it. xx

Della1968 07-10-2015 07:47 PM

Hi I just want to say you seem to be a beautiful woman inside and out.....treat yourself as such. Best wishes to you.

Soberpotamus 07-10-2015 07:57 PM

It sounds miserable, Snoozy. Truly. I remember it all too well.

Good for you for getting to work.

What do you think you need to do to stop, Snoozy? Do you think you need help? Detox/inpatient? IOP?

So sorry you're hurting today. I do hope you feel better asap.

Dee74 07-10-2015 07:59 PM

I really don't want to belabour the point, but you've not responded directly - I really think you need more help than SR this time, Snoozy.

Think about your possible options, ok?

D

zoomi 07-10-2015 08:03 PM

so sorry to hear! take something that will help you sleep at night and get a good 8 hours of sleep and that should really help

Delilah1 07-10-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ (Post 5459989)
IF THIS HELPS JUST ONE PERSON , ITS WORTH BEING GRAPHIC

I have just experienced & am still experiencing the worst hangover of my life.

Thinking I could moderate drinking after 2 years of sobriety was an absolute lie I told myself.

Just think before you pick up that first drink , what could be awaiting you tomorrow and yes even the day after!

The waking then sussing out how bad you are going to feel.
Yep , I knew instantly it was gonna be bad .

The griping pain , diarreah, dry vomitting on and off all day long , no respite.
Impending doom , with the heart pumping so hard it pounds upon my pillow & feels like it's gonna burst out of my chest. The restless jumpy legs , the fear I may just lie here & die as it feels like that anyhow.
Dry mouth , more horribly gripey bowel pains, more diarreah .The desperation to just sleep it off knowing that sleep will be elusive. Time goes so slow, it's excruciating.

ITS DISGUSTING . I should have known this was coming. I just kept pushing it that bit further!

& the very worst part . My Mum & Dad dropped in for an impromptu visit ! Why today , oh god why !

I look like crap. I had to come up with another lie , I love them dearly but desperately needed them to leave me to my suffering.

ITS JUST NOT WORTH THIS AGONY :-(

no matter how far along we get into our sobriety or if we are newly into it , always take yourself back to how your worst hangover.

NO MORE !

Today is my lesson , tomorrow is my new life

Xxx

Hi Snoozy,

Your two years still inspire me. I had a little over 30 days and have slipped back to drinking again. After a very intense work situation the past two days I have found myself drinking. I will be starting again tomorrow at day one. I really appreciate your honesty on here, it helps.
:thanks

MythOfSisyphus 07-10-2015 11:56 PM

Dee is right, Snoozy. You're staring down the barrel of a loaded gun this time. Don't think you can keep going down this road and find your way back "later". So many alcoholics relapse and never make it back again. I don't know what has changed between this time and last but fear doesn't seem to be enough to make you change.

I hope you will look into the options, SnoozyQ. You're such a good, sweet person and I know you have a good heart. You don't deserve to die from organ failure and I know you don't want your family to mourn your early demise.

Maybe you need inpatient, maybe AA. But please don't wait too long.:grouphug: