SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Worst hangover of my life ! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371345-worst-hangover-my-life.html)

SnoozyQ 07-10-2015 07:13 AM

Worst hangover of my life !

IF THIS HELPS JUST ONE PERSON , ITS WORTH BEING GRAPHIC

I have just experienced & am still experiencing the worst hangover of my life.

Thinking I could moderate drinking after 2 years of sobriety was an absolute lie I told myself.

Just think before you pick up that first drink , what could be awaiting you tomorrow and yes even the day after!

The waking then sussing out how bad you are going to feel.
Yep , I knew instantly it was gonna be bad .

The griping pain , diarreah, dry vomitting on and off all day long , no respite.
Impending doom , with the heart pumping so hard it pounds upon my pillow & feels like it's gonna burst out of my chest. The restless jumpy legs , the fear I may just lie here & die as it feels like that anyhow.
Dry mouth , more horribly gripey bowel pains, more diarreah .The desperation to just sleep it off knowing that sleep will be elusive. Time goes so slow, it's excruciating.

ITS DISGUSTING . I should have known this was coming. I just kept pushing it that bit further!

& the very worst part . My Mum & Dad dropped in for an impromptu visit ! Why today , oh god why !

I look like crap. I had to come up with another lie , I love them dearly but desperately needed them to leave me to my suffering.

ITS JUST NOT WORTH THIS AGONY :-(

no matter how far along we get into our sobriety or if we are newly into it , always take yourself back to how your worst hangover.

NO MORE !

Today is my lesson , tomorrow is my new life

Xxx

SoberLeigh 07-10-2015 07:16 AM

Dear sweet Snoozy; hugs for you.

I really feel for you; my heart broke, simply broke for you when I read through this thread and your recent thread.

You will get through this, Snooz, and come out stronger on the other side and we will help you.

Spend today in recovery; eat small, simple, healthy meals; drink plenty of water; get fresh air (go for a short walk of sit on a park bench and take in some sun); have a warm bubble bath tonight and try to get to bed early.

Spend tomorrow thinking of ways to expand your toolbox (AA, ftf counseling , investigate RR and AVRT). Stay close to SR.

Be proud of your daughter that she cared enough to question you; that took love and guts.

Both of my parents were alcoholics - my Dad (a truly good man who I don't want to disparage) was more of the binge variety but the binges became more frequent over time. I remember my first realization of his extreme drunkenness as if it was yesterday; it cut like a knife and the burning ache continued for days; I guess it was the end of innocence for me.

My Dad never turned himself around but YOU can; you have already proven that in a strong, courageous and impressive way.

So, as terribly as you are feeling today, welcome to Day 1; it is the hardest day but it is the day the magic begins.

Much love to you, Snooz.

StellaPolaris 07-10-2015 07:19 AM

Sounds very familiar. I relapsed after 88 days, went on a 3-day bender. You're describing my past Sunday. I need to remember this. It gets worse every time.

My heart goes out to you, water and Candy Crush is highly recommended. Tomorrow will be better.

doggonecarl 07-10-2015 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ (Post 5459989)
I have just experienced & am still experiencing the worst hangover of my life...
...Today is my lesson , tomorrow is my new life

I drank myself to alcohol poisoning, choked on vomit, and was so ill I wanted to die. You'd think that would be enough to stop anybody. I drank for another 35 years.

I couldn't stay sober with a deterrent-based recovery model. I had to learn to embrace sobriety and figure out how to handle life without running to alcohol.

Hope you can too.

ccam1973 07-10-2015 07:37 AM

Dig deep Snoozy. You have the power, strength and courage to make this happen.

Thanks for your post. You are helping others with your insight; me included. I've got a tough trip coming up next weekend; fun, but I know drinking will enter my mind. I've just past one year sober and my mind is starting to slip a bit.

Your post brought me back to 21 years of feeling like crap, every day, more or less.

Thanks and be good to yourself.

Ileana 07-10-2015 07:43 AM

Unfortunately, the memories of the agony suffered during most hangovers fade with time.
Try this. Get 2 wash clothes and dip in ice water, put 1 on the back of your neck and 1 on your forehead just covering you eyes. Relief is temporary (until the cloth warms up) but for a few minutes it really helps.

phoebe64 07-10-2015 07:59 AM

I am so sorry to read this, Snoozy. you have been such a great inspiration here, and so positive. You still have that to offer. You have 2 years! You can get back on track. I have great faith in you.

Be kind to yourself. Rest and you will feel better tomorrow.

mecanix 07-10-2015 08:00 AM

I remember feeling like that too Snoozy ,

Occasionally i'd have one or two but eventually i'd find myself drinking till blackout regularly , always .

I hope you quit , stay quit and go do something more fun and interesting than that same old same old .

m

gettingsmarter 07-10-2015 08:11 AM

Thank you for sharing Snoozy. Def helps reinforce why I can no longer drink. I can feel the pain just reading it.

Alchemist1978 07-10-2015 08:15 AM

I am on Day 4 feeling better but this was me on Monday (This Week).

I really hate all those feeling. Thank you for the vivid reminder and hang in there. We should have a place in our heads that never forgets what we put our body and soul through.

I will always come back to SR for these reminders. Thank you.

thomas11 07-10-2015 10:01 AM

Hi Snoozy, can I ask you a couple of questions? How much did you drink and what was the duration of your alcohol consumption? Was this one day, just one evening?

Sorry you are going through this, but it also sounds like you knew full well this was a possibility, right?
Good lord, I remember getting the impromptu visits from someone too, (my parents once as well), that's God giving us a warning, and he is putting it on our permanent record.

HeartsAfire 07-10-2015 10:34 AM

Thank you for being here & sharing yourself & your journey with us. It's made my recovery stronger & for that I'm so grateful to you.

Keep fighting!!

Ruby2 07-10-2015 10:41 AM

Snoozy, thank you for sharing. I've had distressing thoughts of drinking lately and you're reminding me why I quit. Hang in there and make it day one.

CaseyW 07-10-2015 10:43 AM

You're in my thoughts and prayers today, Snoozy.

ScottFromWI 07-10-2015 11:00 AM

Great reminder, hope you feel better soon. For me the hangovers were pretty tame compared to when my drinking progressed enough that i didn't get hangovers anymore....just straight witdhrawals ( heart palpitations, dangerous BP and heart rate, full on panic attacks, you know - trip to the ER stuff ).

I also learned that while reminders of how bad it can be are helpful, they are not enough in themself to truly get sober. Having a plan for a sober life ( no matter what it is ) that you live by every single day is essential as well. I hope we can help you find that plan.

Surrender2win 07-10-2015 11:09 AM

Thank you for sharing this painful reminder Snoozy. Make this Day #1 and don't look back. Many hugs to you. :grouphug:

sva777 07-10-2015 11:14 AM

I remember exactly what your describing like it was yesterday. The visits from my parent were embarrassing and ugly, I never wish to visit those days again.

What do you plan to do so you never go through this again?

biminiblue 07-10-2015 11:24 AM

Snooz, this will kill you if you let it.

Please stop and stay with it.

alphaomega 07-10-2015 11:55 AM

Oh friend. I am so sorry for your suffering. You deserve so much better.

Please be kind to yourself and find that resolve again. You are so much more than this insidious addiction. :hug:

Quirky 07-10-2015 01:02 PM

Sweet Snoozy, my heart goes out to you.
You have been such a big part of the journey we are all on here ar SR. You mean so much to us all; I want you to know that.
I am so sorry things are so tough right now. :-(
Please hang in there, get through the first couple of days, and know that we are all pulling for you.
You are such an important part of our community...
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Big hugs flying your way.. Xxx
Gail